Your Votes for The [ Original Game ] category

Which Original Game did you prefer among the candidates?

• PewPewTris (by slaeshjag)

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • GFMTSERFGJ (by undexsym)

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Pandora NanoLemmings (by _wb_)

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • 8Bit Merchant (by Commander-beef)

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

At this stage it looks like we have clear winners for the first and second places (unless lots of people waited until the last minute to vote!), and the real suspense seems to remain for the third place... just a reminder that you have until March 4th (tuesday) 11:59 PM UTC to vote! not much time left!

What is the license of GFMTSERFGJ?

PewPewTris and NanoLemmings are GPLv3 (code is on github for PewPewTris and inside the PND for NanoLemmings), and 8Bit Merchant is closed-source according to the readme.txt inside, but for GFMTSERFGJ, I tried my best to  find license information and couldn't find anything.

If it's closed-source, I may want to change my vote and vote for myself instead ;)

PewPewTris and NanoLemmings are GPLv3 (code is on github for PewPewTris and inside the PND for NanoLemmings), and 8Bit Merchant is closed-source according to the readme.txt inside, but for GFMTSERFGJ, I tried my best to  find license information and couldn't find anything.

If it's closed-source, I may want to change my vote and vote for myself instead ;)
Are You voting for license, or for the game you like most? _wb_ you're FOSS freak, man 

Last edited by a moderator:

Are You voting for license, or for the game you like most? _wb_ you're FOSS freak, man 
I vote for the game I like most. There are many things to be liked about a game. Being able to easily and legally make your own levels and to modify/fork the code is one of them. I'm not saying it's the only criterion that matters, just that it is something I take into consideration. I'm sorry if that makes me a freak according to you.

For games licenses dont really matter that much. I mean yeah, itsbetter to have a foss license but games are usually designed to be played in one way and not being modified.

I vote for the game I like most. There are many things to be liked about a game. Being able to easily and legally make your own levels and to modify/fork the code is one of them. I'm not saying it's the only criterion that matters, just that it is something I take into consideration. I'm sorry if that makes me a freak according to you.
it just sounds like this, if you said "If it's closed-source, I may want to change my vote and vote for myself instead"

For games licenses dont really matter that much. I mean yeah, itsbetter to have a foss license but games are usually designed to be played in one way and not being modified.
I think there are many game modders and porters who would disagree with that...

Remember: FOSS does not only mean you can change the source code, even being able to just recompile it for a different platform is quite useful.

I think there are many game modders and porters who would disagree with that...   Remember: FOSS does not only mean you can change the source code, even being able to just recompile it for a different platform is quite useful.
Hey, I know what you mean :) I've been a gamer for more years than I can count.

But most games are NOT designed to be modded, that's my point. Games are heavily crafted experiences (usually, with the exception of sandbox games) where customization/modding would not really make sense. Plus, games usually carry the vision of a/several creators who do not wish to see their game modified because they want to provide a certain feel/look to their game. While it may not be legitimate for software in general, I think there is a use case in games where such a philosophy makes sense and can be respected even if you are a FOSS advocate. 

I agree that I'd like to see AT LEAST an option to recompile a game for a different target system - that's where having the source code for the engine would make it really worth it. But I'm not sure how you could avoid mods/redistribution if you make the source code free. That's precisely why releasing a game source code is seen as more "risk" than "benefit" these days. 

Final winners on 4th of March, 11.59 PM UTC :

First Prize (well done _wb_!):

Pandora Nanolemmings - 41 votes

Second Prize (bravo undexsym):

GFM - 22 votes

Third Prize (thanks slaeshjag):

PewPewTris - 10 votes

And thanks to Commander-Beef for his entry "8 Bit Merchant" (7 votes). The race for the third place was really close.  

Thanks to the 80 voters as well for your participation !

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

Nanolemmings is a good game, but bit hard for me :)

Congrats,Askarus Messaged me because my broken Touchscreens and maybe after a repair,can i enjoy your Great Game too _WB_

And congratz to the others to for the wonderfull Games :)

Nanolemmings is a great game, and I hope it gets some more levels as development continues - I've completely all the levels it comes with so far, except for the final Microbes level (which I don't think has an exit, so isn't completable).

The Microbes level (that level was made by Monkfish by the way) has its exit at the spot which is labeled "Exit" :) . It is completable, but it's tricky and requires "out of the box" thinking ;)

Back