Your Holy gaming Grail for Pandora 2..?

I had a big long post planned with several rebuttals to points made here and then I realized my blood pressure was rising and decided to tl;dw it.

In its stead, here's a thought: the linux distro we're running on Pandora will, unless Craig & co. do something really stupid like abandoning the ARM architecture, run on a Pandora 2 with almost no porting work required. Maybe some drivers, but you'll have that no matter what.

I'm not sold on the idea that a linux distro on Pandora 2 will be worse than what we have today; most of the hard work's done.

Phones are also subsidized by data plans, making their off contract price completely irrelevant to most people.

Absolutely right. I can count all the people I know that buy a phone without a contract and pay the full retail price on one hand. This applies especially to iPhone users as none of the persons I know who own one would ever spend over $ 500 on a cellphone.

In its stead, here's a thought: the linux distro we're running on Pandora will, unless Craig & co. do something really stupid like abandoning the ARM architecture, run on a Pandora 2 with almost no porting work required. Maybe some drivers, but you'll have that no matter what.

Craig seems absolutely confident that the same Pandora distro on Pandora 2 would only be worse. I don't really know why he thinks that and I hope he's wrong. The vast majority of the software work done for Pandora has little or nothing to do with its actual hardware.

10-20% of people returning the console because they can't use it.
Well now I think you're just insulting our intelligence.

That sounded pretty strange to me too, if it was meant to be a reflection on experience with Pandora 1. I can't think of a single post on this board where a user has reported, or speculated on the possibility of returning a Pandora because they can't use it due to the unfriendliness of the OS. Wonder if that 10-20% referred to hardware problems rendering the device unusable?

One thing for sure is that there will have to be a pretty huge change in the way OP Ltd does business if the future plan is to launch a mass market hand held. I can't see how this could be done without major bank loans or community investment. My guess is that for P2 to be attractive from a community investment point of view then it would have to have official support for at least an option to have linux as the default OS.

10-20% of people returning the console because they can't use it.
Well now I think you're just insulting our intelligence.

That sounded pretty strange to me too, if it was meant to be a reflection on experience with Pandora 1. I can't think of a single post on this board where a user has reported, or speculated on the possibility of returning a Pandora because they can't use it due to the unfriendliness of the OS. Wonder if that 10-20% referred to hardware problems rendering the device unusable?

One thing for sure is that there will have to be a pretty huge change in the way OP Ltd does business if the future plan is to launch a mass market hand held. I can't see how this could be done without major bank loans or community investment. My guess is that for P2 to be attractive from a community investment point of view then it would have to have official support for at least an option to have linux as the default OS.
Yeah a lot of money would be needed to launch a mass market device.money op doesen't have.

I'm lost for words.

I'll just get on with my projects.
TRANSLATION:

Dear Pandora Supporters,

head-in-the-sand.jpg

that is all...

Reading through the last several pages of this thread, I don't understand the fire aimed at certain individuals. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing, ie a dual boot system is the go.

Craig made a comment that the Soc's are becoming more geared towards Android and that it is making it hard for a standard linux port to exist (without a lot of tinkering ) on these new chips. Whether that's true or not I don't know. The point is he never said future Pandora's will not have Linux, in fact he has said the opposite a couple times now.

Why is it that everyone loves to verbally beat him by twisting his words around and taking them out of context?

Can we not just accept the concensus of a dual boot and move on, I don't think I have seen anyone opposed to a dual boot in the last several pages of this thread - makes me wonder what everyone is getting angry (at Craig and others) about.

The point is he never said future Pandora's will not have Linux, in fact he has said the opposite a couple times now.
Why is it that everyone loves to verbally beat him by twisting his words around and taking them out of context?

Can we not just accept the concensus of a dual boot and move on, I don't think I have seen anyone opposed to a dual boot in the last several pages of this thread - makes me wonder what everyone is getting angry (at Craig and others) about.

Because there's a really, REALLY big difference between Linux being shipped on the device and 100% supported by OPT and relying on the community to cook something up which most people won't bother installing. I've asked up front what Craig envisions here and he hasn't responded to me, but he seems to be implying that he's pushing for the latter and not the former.

No one is trying to beat him down or twist his words, we just want to know what he's thinking, and he's being evasive.

Back when Craigix was planning on creating his own super sleek user friendly interface/app updating method, rather than adopting the repo spec on the appstore, he mentioned many times back then, that he was getting a high volume of returns, or emails from users who were struggling to use the Pandora at all.

This is the 10-20% he is probably referring too and it's those experiences that he is likely wishing to ensure do not repeat with P2. Plus a larger market.

With all due respect, if someone finds "Make three folders and put things in them" difficult, perhaps they ought to be boxing up and returning their desktop computer, too. It has the same usage requirement no matter what OS it runs, after all.

EDIT: You know, I should clarify that a bit further, I think. Beyond that, any issues are with the software the user is using, and they'd encounter that on Android, too, if they happened to be using the same software there (assuming it's available). If the Android Market is absent, here's a look at adding it to another currently-popular device in this vein;

Please install the apk to your device then run the program temproot first and then permroot next once done untick temproot at boot there now you should all be rooted.

Now for market installation you will need to download the following files and copy them with root explorer to system/app/

1) GoogleServicesFramework.apk - copy to system/app

2) MarketUpdater.apk - this will update your market copy to system/app

3) Vending.apk - this is the android market copy to system/app

When you have copied all files with root explorer to system/app you will need to set permissions again using Root explorer. If you right click on the 3 app's one by one and set the same permission as all the other apk files in system/app folder. To check you can click on any apk file in system/app right click it and choose set permission and you will see all the ticks. They must match this so set all three files like this.

Now you will need to install vending.apk and then reboot your device once rebooted you will see android market. Start it and it will auto update to the latest one by itself and there you have full android market on your JXD S7100.

Please find the googleservicesframework.apk and marketupdater.apk files here you will have to find the market vending.apk file yourself its too big to upload just do a google search for vending.apk google is your friend.

To get into recovery mode press the menu button and the power button together on boot up you will then enter the recovery you may flash zip update files reset device etc.

Below is a link to the 2.2.1 firmware for the capative screen version only please extract the update.zip file to the desktop and copy to your sd card on the root.Then use the above instructions to get into recovery to flash the update.zip.English JXD S7100 Reflash Instructions

Format a TF-card using the SD-formatter Tool. Copy the extracted files to the TF-card. Insert the TF-card in to the JXD S7100 while the unit is powered off.

Press and hold the Menu button, keep the Menu button pressed and now press the Power on button. The "upgrading please wait" message will be displayed.The menu will be displayed. Use the Volume + and - buttons to navigate the menu options.From the menu you can perform the following functions:Wipe data/factory reset.Yes-delete all user data.Wipe cache partition.Wipe media storage partition.Apply SD-card update.zip.

From the menu choose "Apply SD-card update.zip" select the option using the Back button. Wait while the tablet reflashes. Ensure the battery is fully charged or the power cable is connected before starting the reflash process. After the reflash is complete. Press the Back button to reboot the tablet.

I'm not going to suggest for a moment that that's difficult, but it's a lot more involved than making a couple of folders, isn't it? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of getting into a circular argument with Craig, how about work on a modern UI for the Pandora?

Hint, the UI must be designed

• With mobile device/small screen in mind

• Support human gestures like swiping

• Look simple, modern and clean

• Support widgets

• Support an app marketplace with inbuilt credit-card purchasing

• Support a one-click OS update

• Support drop-down menus with toggles for WIFI, bluetooth, brightness, etc

If Craig was really receiving returns for such problems, it would have been very nice to know about them. The only people that we've had show up that truly had difficulty with the system are always beyond help: if you can't accept "google X, click the first link, download the file and copy it to your SD card into /this/directory" then I don't know what else to say.

Occasionally people post here that do have problems understanding, but once they're directed to the FAQ they exclaim how easy and great it is that they can put some stuff on the desktop and some in the menu, and the truly bold like how much customization they can do with OVR files. If there are silent people returning it because it was too hard to use, those comments need to be disseminated to the developers in a position to address those difficulties, not brought up as a bargaining chip many months and many returns later.

In all the talks with ED I've been part of and witnessed, I've never heard him talk about someone returning it because they didn't understand it. A few RMAs because the headphone jacks "sound tinny", but I'm blaming Apple for that one. Gor danged not-quite-proprietary connector.

Instead of getting into a circular argument with Craig, how about work on a modern UI for the Pandora?

Hint, the UI must be designed

• With mobile device/small screen in mind

• Support human gestures like swiping

• Look simple, modern and clean

• Support widgets

• Support an app marketplace with inbuilt credit-card purchasing

• Support a one-click OS update

• Support drop-down menus with toggles for WIFI, bluetooth, brightness, etc

Sounds like Panorama to me. Not there yet, but I'd say possible.

^ mcobit, those vids are really astounding! Tell me, do you think Crusader: No Regret will ever run at playable speeds?

I don't see, why not, as it needs a 486-66.

Please continue discussion here:

Back