Your Holy gaming Grail for Pandora 2..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I know it's a little pointless, but hopefully you will indulge me..

Mine would be portable Severance BOD, closely followed by TES Morrowind, System Shock 2 with some Clive Barkers Undying thrown in for good measure followed by a light dusting of Dreamcast emulation.

And yours..?

None, really, other than the possibility of QEMU + user-mode WINE, for portable Jazz Jackrabbit 2 goodness. :p

Everything else I wanted, the first one can already do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora 2? Well, Gamecube emulation would be very nice. I'd love to be able to play Shadow the Hedgehog on a handheld. But I'm seriously dreaming here. Something less dreamy: N64 emulation at full speed for games other than SM64 (which is a game I don't like).

Oh, a bigger selection of natively ported 3D games is a must. Maybe SuperTuxKart?

Dreamcast, A1200 and some playable Pentium emulation.

Real HTML5 support, Android support.

That would just about make the perfect machine for me.

Dual analogue sticks.
Wasn't this a software-related thread?
Sorry, nothing was said about this thread being software or hardware.
Fair enough. :D Although before hardware discussion gets under way, I'd like to know how different P2 hardware might be.

We all want:

• better CPU/GPU
  • more RAM
  • bigger screen
  • transflective screen if possible
  • L2/R2 if practical
  • camera/accelerometer if cheap

otherwise pretty much the same

but if the P2 is going to be in exactly the same form-factor as the P1, there is not a lot to discuss...

<_< *calling official team members*

;)

Well without Android you can forget having cutting edge commercial, or virtually any commercial games.
deal! thats a fair trade-off.

i want carmageddon.....not possible, but thats the point

Well without Android you can forget having cutting edge commercial, or virtually any commercial games.
Would that necessarily be a bad thing?

Is that sufficient incentive to make Android the P2's primary OS for you and why?

I don't see having "cutting edge commercial" games seriously helping such a niche device as the Pandora 2, especially considering that ANY Android tablet can run these games. Add on the fact that more powerful tablets will come out the week after the P2's release and you've got a device that just won't sell very well.

(I realize you're not saying Android should be the only OS, but I'm saying it should definitely not be the default OS.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as long as you don't mind a buggy, years long probably never complete alterative OS development time then that's fine.

I'll be using Android and seeing as we actually want to sell a significant number of units of the Pandora2, it will be running Android.

I bet, matching Android to the "Pandora 2" hardware will be as difficult as matching any other OS to these new hardware components. I can imagine that all the Android devices out there have special drivers that cost a fortune to make Android run as good as possible on each device. It seems not easy to have this on an open Source Device like Pandora (2). We know the hardware companies don't give their (best) drivers away for free.

Well as long as you don't mind a buggy, years long probably never complete alterative OS development time then that's fine.
Ah, you are talking about Android, yes? Because 4 years and significant commercial investment later and it has only just started to form a reasonably standard platform for development.

I'll be using Android and seeing as we actually want to sell a significant number of units of the Pandora2, it will be running Android.

As soon as you make Android the main OS of the P2, you are implicitly saying you want the device to be compared to other Android devices. I think most people's thought would be, "Why would I buy an Android tablet that's more expensive, slower, and doesn't have multi-touch? What, gaming controls? I'll just get the iControlPad and use that with a better tablet."

Back