You Panda's Never Disappoint Me!

(okay,. no more thread hijack ;)

Hmm, running it on Space Invaders (or Dkong or others), I get:

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntryHeaderName..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntryHeader..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntry..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HXMLReader..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.Program.Initialize (ConsoleFlags flag, System.String romName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntryHeaderName..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntryHeader..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HiToTextEntry..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.HXML.HXMLReader..ctor (System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.Program.Initialize (ConsoleFlags flag, System.String romName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HiToText.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I wonder if thats mono sucking at C#, or versioning, or any number of things.

I could parse their XML file and use it, but thats lots of work; be better if I coudl use their thing. Will have to try it under Windows in a bit and see.

Have some RL drama right now (death in the family, my wifes side not mine), keeping me quite busy :/

jeff

Pole Position works fine in MAME4ALL as well... Didn't try PanMAME yet.

Controls could be better... But I am sure a decent mapping could be worked out.
Thing with Pole Position controls is that they're not really analog - although it had a wheel & pedals, there's only four or five left/right positions that are activated, if you use the d-pad with individual 'taps' left or right, you'll soon find it easy to get the car into the right turn angle for the corner! I usually set gear change to both A and B buttons, X for accelerator and don't worry about the brake, just let go of throttle and speed plummets!

Pole Position works fine in MAME4ALL as well... Didn't try PanMAME yet.

Controls could be better... But I am sure a decent mapping could be worked out.
Thing with Pole Position controls is that they're not really analog - although it had a wheel & pedals, there's only four or five left/right positions that are activated, if you use the d-pad with individual 'taps' left or right, you'll soon find it easy to get the car into the right turn angle for the corner! I usually set gear change to both A and B buttons, X for accelerator and don't worry about the brake, just let go of throttle and speed plummets!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we should be able to remap the controls to the analogue nubs on the pandora though.

With PanMAME you can map every action to any button or analog control.

Well, since PanMAME was brought up...my slight disappointment is that more ACTUAL MAME GAMES have not yet been added to C4A.  More stuff I'm not interested in instead...

Well, since PanMAME was brought up...my slight disappointment is that more ACTUAL MAME GAMES have not yet been added to C4A.  More stuff I'm not interested in instead...
They are working on something that might add a few hundred games into the mix.

They are working on something that might add a few hundred games into the mix.
The C# code is causing some headaches running in mono, but I think it's still a viable route to look into... I know skeezix is a busy fellow so I've been trying to hammer through some of the issues.  No promises though...

With PanMAME you can map every action to any button or analog control.
Hello mcobit! What do you think would be the chances of getting Donkey Kong II Jumpman Returns to run on the Pandora? Would there be any way to fool MAME into thinking it is just regular old Donkey Kong? I would really love to play this someday on my Pandy, but I am not a programmer.

Everybody asks me that. I don't know enough about mame drivers to backport one myself, but I saw a discussion on sourceforge where some guys seem to have done that. But the posted code there is either not complete or has bugs, so it doesn't compile.

I pmed them and posted a message there for help, but didn't recieve an answer yet.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancemame/forums/forum/313511/topic/7073949

If there is some MAME guru here that can backport the driver from Misfitmame or recent mainstream MAME to 0.106, feel free to do so and post the driver or better, the whole dkong.c file here for me to include :)

Everybody asks me that. I don't know enough about mame drivers to backport one myself, but I saw a discussion on sourceforge where some guys seem to have done that. But the posted code there is either not complete or has bugs, so it doesn't compile.

I pmed them and posted a message there for help, but didn't recieve an answer yet.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancemame/forums/forum/313511/topic/7073949

If there is some MAME guru here that can backport the driver from Misfitmame or recent mainstream MAME to 0.106, feel free to do so and post the driver or better, the whole dkong.c file here for me to include :)
Wow, I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could help mcobit! Yes, I am a DK and Open Pandora fanatic! If there is some way that I can help, please let me know!

Well...I will just say this about the old retro arcade games...

THEY were so good songs were written about them.  Can't think of any modern arcade/video games that had songs made about them!

Does not run on Pandora.

It is built from more recent MAME versions that would be really slow on Pandora.

But it's true. It has a lot of great hacks.

There are just too many MAMES out there and it gets confusing.  :wacko:  It would be great if just one MAME emulator could play all roms.

I have 4 different MAME emulators on my Pandora.

Sorry just had to rant.

Last edited:
Back