You Panda's Never Disappoint Me!

MisfitMame is the SHIT! ;)

So many great arcade hacks, super fun.

Chris
Err MisfitMame is what I was thinking about, not MESS... :p

Gosh I am getting confused in my 'old' age.

EDIT: how about... "The Thread Previously Known as Slight Disapointment"?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are just too many MAMES out there and it gets confusing.  :wacko:  It would be great if just one MAME emulator could play all roms.

I have 4 different MAME emulators on my Pandora.
The reason for that is that MAME was never meant "for playing games", as it were. The stated goal of MAME is to emulate as many machines as possible as accurately as possible. This means that occasionally some feature will be reworked to be more accurate (or to incorporate additional systems) with an unfortunate cost of being less efficient. This is why we have multiple MAME versions: one version may play some games very well, but a later version implemented new features or changed things to be more accurate and can now emulate more games but is unfortunately slower. On a desktop this doesn't really matter: you've got the CPU power, just keep updated and you will have no problem playing old games as well as the new, but when we've got very limited CPU power like on the Pandora or any embedded system it's a delicate balance.Other emulators have the stated goal of actually being able to play games, and for those there are optimizations and hacks that can make the emulation much faster at the expense of accuracy. The lost accuracy is usually not noticeable (things like memory management, or HLE, etc...) but such things go against the goal of MAME. There isn't anything we can (or really should) do.

There are just too many MAMES out there and it gets confusing.  :wacko:  It would be great if just one MAME emulator could play all roms.

Sorry just had to rant.
I have five.

I have MAME4ALL, PanMAME, MAME-EX, C4A, and FBA.  Also GNGEO if that counts as a sixth MAME.

Baaahhhhh.  I came here expecting to see cute pictures of black and white chinese bears.  I never feel disappointed when i see them eat bamboo or play on a slide...

Baaahhhhh.  I came here expecting to see cute pictures of black and white chinese bears.  I never feel disappointed when i see them eat bamboo or play on a slide...
2012-09-17T130533Z_01_TOR901_RTRIDSP_3_USA-PANDA-WASHINGTON-218.jpg

:)

The reason for that is that MAME was never meant "for playing games", as it were. The stated goal of MAME is to emulate as many machines as possible as accurately as possible. This means that occasionally some feature will be reworked to be more accurate (or to incorporate additional systems) with an unfortunate cost of being less efficient. This is why we have multiple MAME versions: one version may play some games very well, but a later version implemented new features or changed things to be more accurate and can now emulate more games but is unfortunately slower. On a desktop this doesn't really matter: you've got the CPU power, just keep updated and you will have no problem playing old games as well as the new, but when we've got very limited CPU power like on the Pandora or any embedded system it's a delicate balance.
Other emulators have the stated goal of actually being able to play games, and for those there are optimizations and hacks that can make the emulation much faster at the expense of accuracy. The lost accuracy is usually not noticeable (things like memory management, or HLE, etc...) but such things go against the goal of MAME. There isn't anything we can (or really should) do.
I never realized this. Thank you for the info. :)

Last edited:
They aren't technically bears, you know. ^_^

Oh yes they are :3Even though it's been known that they're genetically related to bears for 30 years, it's only been the last 7 or 8 that it's actually been publicized in any way.

Not your fault, that's what I was taught in school too and believed until last year when someone pointed out the error.

RomCenter is not very straightforward, no doubt.

Have you seen that movie The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters yet Chris? I am going to try and make time to watch it this weekend.
Sorry for my late reply SunDevilDog, I just noticed the question :p

Yeah, I ordered King Of Kong years ago when it first came out on DVD. Me and my wife watch it shortly thereafter. Very good documentary and it spurred a whole new generation of DK players.

I've actually seen Billy Mitchell play in person on several occasions over the years, and he is the real deal. He's always the only guy in the room semi well dressed, and you would never imagine he can play games as well as he does. He makes playing classic games look "Easy". I'm looking forward to your thoughts once you watch it.

@Kumaki

Sadly, as mcobit has stated, MisfitMame isn't available on Pandora. It's sad that it is based on more recent Mame versions, as the games it runs are mostly all old school games that run perfect on even the most basic versions of Mame. I haven't played it in years, as I don't touch my gaming PC all that much, but it's well worth the effort to seek it out and play it.

There are some true gems in there. Crazy Otto is one of my favorites, as it really isn't a hack(well it is, just in a different way from the rest), it was the original Pacman "hack", that became Ms. Pacman after a lawsuit was won that allowed companies to hack existing arcade games. So it is probably the only "official" sanctioned game in the group, but cool to see how a game was changed for the better when the hackers and the big game companies got together to make it a more appealing game overall.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes they are :3
Even though it's been known that they're genetically related to bears for 30 years, it's only been the last 7 or 8 that it's actually been publicized in any way.
Maybe Binky is thinking of Red Pandas..

^ That can't be it.  Binky's school textbooks specifically noted that the rare Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens) was a hairy lizard found only on the island of Atlantis.   :D

Back