Linux Games

Kumaki

Is it possible to play straight-up Linux games on the Pandy?

I mean, we have a Linux OS, right?

I'm curious, because I have a few such games on my Dingoo...which runs Dingux...which is a version of Linux which runs on the Dingoo. I was sorta wondering if any of those games would work on the Pandy, and how I'd get them there.

Dingoo has a MIPS processor, Pandora's is ARM. Programms compiler for Dingoo won work on Pandora just like that. However most of Dingux aps are open source and thus can be ported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dingoo has a MIPS processor, Pandora's is ARM. Programms compiler for Dingoo won work on Pandora just like that. However most of Dingux aps are open source and thus can be ported.

Thanks for the info.

I'm no coder, but I was wondering if there was some difference.

I wonder if anyone might be interested in trying their hand at porting a few of these things?

For example, there is one called "Digger" which was also an old arcade game...rather similar to Mr. Do, but a bit different, too. There's a Dingux version of that, I'd love to see that one come to Pandora...anyone interested in helping me out, lol? pweeese?

Also, I'd still love to see a version of Peggle...NOT DEPENDENT ON AN ALTERNATE OS...to run on Pandy.

Notes about "Digger" - there IS a "Digger" that seems to work with MAME...BUT THIS IS NOT THE DIGGER GAME I AM TALKING ABOUT. The one I want is from 1983 by Windmill Software.

Note: I'm really not hip to the idea of trying to mess around with alternate OS's on Pandy.

I mean, yeah, I managed to get Dingux running on Dingoo...BUT I HAVE FOUR OF THEM...so if I had bricked one, no big deal. But I only got one Pandy...and I could buy six Dingoos for the price of one Pandy...so I'm REALLY nervous about screwing it up.

You can safely boot Slackware/Gentoo/Arch/Zaxxon/etc. from a SD card, without any risk.

They are not reflashing the unit, therefore don't touch the NAND, the bootloader, etc...

It's as safe as using a Live-cd on a PC.

Short of major physical destruction, the Pandora is unbrickable. It has a hardware override which tells it to boot off an SD card. Even if the NAND gets so totally messed up that you can't even get a normal boot menu, you can always always reflash from an SD card. Even in the unfortunate event that the NAND does get so completely thrashed that you can't even reflash, you can always install the OS (or any of the other OSs available) on an SD card and run from there. Not quite as fast, but safe.

^^^^ Thats why I bought it!

I fried the OS (wifi and others) the second day of having the pandora!

Awesome!

Well...How would you do it from an SD Card?

Seriously...I would want it to ALWAYS come up in Super Zaxxon...the NORMAL OS...and then be able to switch between OS's at will.

Still, though, I'd prefer a working version of Peggle straight-up on Pandy instead of having to use an Android OS. Doesn't seem like it should be too hard for a skilled coder to do...it is a question of whether or not there is any interest among our many talented coders, lol....because I can't code my way out of a paper bag....I know just enough to be dangerous.

From SZ 1.52 you can click on the Android icon and swap to Android and swap back at will (Click - Kill android).

To change OS, Reboot device, hold R Shoulder button and chose boot partition.

I have:

SuperZaxxon

Android

SD:

Slackware (Thanks SWAT!)

Ubuntu 12.04

SuperZax

Tonight I'm going to try install:

Gentoo

Fedora

ARCH - If I can find the right file: plugapps-pandora-wejp-20110319.tar.xz

If I can be bothered, I'll look at Meego.

To make a bootable OS, it's pretty much:

Download image:

(tar xvpf system-filesystem-version.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/<your-mnt-dir>)

Last edited by a moderator:
sudo tar xpjvf system-filesystem-version.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/<your-mnt-dir> --numeric-owner

Back