what this little scene needs

ralp99

i think it's about far enough along, where the GP32 has a reasonable amount of decent games playable on it -- it needs a real accessible fan page, one of those websites done by some kid with wayyyy too much time on his hands that absolutely extolls all the virtues of the thing. Ok, the whole point of such a venture would be to showcase in some depth the REALLY must-play games on the freakin' thing. As it is, tons of games are emulated on it to an anjoyably playable degree, but.. some of the it's best emulated systems are relatively obscure (ST, MSX, PCE) and really, no one besides their respective fanboys know what to boot up and check out! Pictures speak volumes, GOOD pictures.. hell there's already a treasure trove of material availabe to dig through, but most of us are too busy anticipating "when the 16-bit systems are emulated, or NES, etc" to pay the backlog much mind.

I think a site like this would benefit the community so much, I would love to do it myself but too busy right now (the usual excuse!) Ok, well I'll leave it at this, if someone wants to steal my idea then by all means run with it - otherwise I'll start doing some indepth research and get on it myself. But it'll be awhile yet, I got two pretty demanding jobs to keep me busy for the time being (let's just say the '32 ain't seeing too much play right now)

Other advantages - a well put-together, easily-accessible site would certainly make the whole notion much more appealing to the other would-be GP32 owners, certainly draw more folks into 'the fold' -- and give the person, whoever picks up the task, plenty of things to keep busy with while 'waiting for those 16-bit emulators'

another suggestion, perhaps it would be better not to be a full fledged site (trying to get undercover into 'the GP32 scene' by maintaining an IRC prescence, regularly updated news, hosting a messgaeboard forum, etc) -- leave that to the the boards which have all that ground relatively well tread.

(one last note, I am not trying to foist this idea onto someone else and seem lazy "this is a great idea -- do it for me so i can take credit!" screw that I don't want any credit, I just would love to see a properly maintained shrine to GP32 and the flood of titles it could play, weed out the best and tempt me with pics and reviews -- and like I said if no one else picks it up, perhaps I will eventually. But no promises)

--blah blah blah-- back to work. Who's with me!!

how about we have a competition where we design a game ... we have a mascott and as a community we offer it for free to gamepark... they can do what they want with it... licence it... sell it....

it would be our way of helping the company along...

Spooke the chances of Gamepark responding to anyone's email is about a million in one.

I would really like to see more really good home brew games. Games where ppl have gone "wouldnt it be cool if...." and then taken advantage of the GP's the open source to make it happen. I think theres way to much enphasis on EMU's at the moment and not what can happen when you have a few thousand well motivated computer geeks making there own games for a system.

Im off uni in 2 days and will be banging out my own games over the summer hols with any luck :)

Yes having a mascot would be cool. It would be nice if a team of AAA coders, artists & sound guys would adopt one and start giving us some Super GP Brothers of somthing. Or they could salavge one from gamings past? 3D MR Do! ? Q-Bert Extreme? Baby-Pac Vs. Granny & The Gators Vs Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja XLTurbo 2?

I say we use that dancing banana...lol, its either that or if you want to be serious, some action hero from one of the ports.

Back