Release Yamagi Quake2

This version seems to work more reliably for me anyway, the only major slowdowns occur when there's large explosions on screen. Anyone know what speed I should overclock to for smoothest play?

(null)

overclock will not help as its a GPU bottleneck.

Im pretty sure this is caused by the multitexturing I had hardcoded it on, so I need to fix that so it can be turned off and see the result. My worry though is that this will remove all lightmaps not just the dynamic ones,

stouffa: changing which nub does the mouse look shouldnt effect external mice

Thanks for the info, the games plays much smoother using one. Hopefully you or someone might get time to get external mice working in Quake 1+3 (but I know there's loads of demands on your time!) :)

Is there a chance to also get open arena ? It's ARM-friendly, but i don't know for OpenGL.

Yay for rtcw.

But I tested the new quake2 now and On the new kernel it instantly locked up with a soundloop.

On the old kernel it does the same, but first after I entered the 3rd level and came back to the surface.

Edit: Dynamic lighting seems to slow it down a lot. not only explosions, but gunfire etc. too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to report the exact same thing, Pickle.

The game didn't crashed once, except in menus.

Yes, using nubs and noticed the hickup and coming back after moving again. But at this point it didn't become playable again. Not even with moving the nubs.

I think without at least one nub q2 wouldn't really be playable ;)

Yup.

I also have the feeling the sound may be responsible for some slowdowns.

In the corridors, rendering a small area, seems that when planes passes, there's a little hang. But it's just a feeling so...

Did you talk to Yamagi ? He seems very open. His mail is on his website.

Did you talk to Yamagi ? He seems very open. His mail is on his website.

I have sent a detailed email today describing the changes. it would be nice that my changes would replace the current opengl code. There a few antiqated things that have carried over that could be supported directly without using ARB or EXT.

It could also open the door to using VBO's.

It crashes on Slackware. The demo is fine, but when i push enter, the screen freezes and the sound does loops.

Do you want a private link to test ?

I have a new version uploaded. I found more bugs and I have fixed the non-multitexture mode and its fast :)

So if you want to keep your configs you need to go to appdata/quake2/.yq2/baseq2/

And change:

set gl_ext_multitexture "0"

Otherwise just the delete the .yq2 folder or the configs. Either way the PND will restore them with the defaults.

Ive been testing the GLES code path both on the PC and pandora and it seems good. Give it a shot and i hope its stable for all.

Edit: source zip is also updated.

Do you want a private link to test ?

I doubt I would be able to tell what went wrong. Please try the new version.

Very playable now! I will play a bit more to see how it goes.

Sad to say, while it's more playable, I've experienced several freezes in the first level..

I'm running Hotfix 7 Beta 1.

It has some Slowdowns, but its good playable and i can finaly load and save the game, i mapped the wasd on dpad and mouse lock on the right nub, and fire on R Jump on L, (and as its a bit divicult to aim i used "give all" and "god 1..."

What are these other Quake 2 on whit these pnd??? There are Quake 2 CTF (Capture the Flag) Rouqe and something..

It has some Slowdowns, but its good playable and i can finaly load and save the game, i mapped the wasd on dpad and mouse lock on the right nub, and fire on R Jump on L, (and as its a bit divicult to aim i used "give all" and "god 1..."

What are these other Quake 2 on whit these pnd??? There are Quake 2 CTF (Capture the Flag) Rouqe and something..

There were a few expansions released for the Quake 2, you will need to get the retail data files for them.

The mouse/nub bug is still here.

I see no speed difference in this build.

Some textures are missing (buttons, doors), it's related to set gl_ext_multitexture "0" i presume ?

Back