Xgp-kids: Most Potential Ever!

At, $75 it would be a bargain. Even for emulators, that that price, it'd be awesome!

it would only be a bargain it it had a 320x240 screen but since its 220x176.. everything is going to look ultramegacrap on it.
I disagree. Of course, nobody who takes this viewpoint will ever be swayed, so I don't intend to go into an explanation of why I don't mind the resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair it should be mostly running unique programs. No one complains that the GBA or DS look like crap for their smaller resolutions, because they use custom software that is made with that resolution in mind. So gauging the machine's quality on how well you can accurately mimic the visuals of X game system is somewhat unfair.

To be fair it should be mostly running unique programs. No one complains that the GBA or DS look like crap for their smaller resolutions, because they use custom software that is made with that resolution in mind. So gauging the machine's quality on how well you can accurately mimic the visuals of X game system is somewhat unfair.
But if GP32 is any indication of the quality and quantity of the commercial offerings for the GPKiDS, there may very well be complaining. It's wrong to even mention the likes of GBA or DS regarding the GPKiDS because, unlike them, the KiDS will be an extremely niche platform. I'd be careful also saying the KiDS can survive on homebrew because really good homebrew (the kind that makes you want a KiDS) comes by so rarely.

I still don't like the name...think about it, even if it got popular, and your friend asks you what it is, do you want to say, "It's a GP Kids..." ? Personally I can get a gameboy micro for $35(american)new and the name is just really not doing it for me. :rolleyes:

You guys have to accept that the GPKiDs won't be directly targeted to the homebrew community. Since the article posted earlier states "The company is under discussion with a US-based education content company to supply the product," it looks like this is trying to target kids. Of course, it's not to say that it won't attract any homebrew developers.

I still don't like the name...think about it, even if it got popular, and your friend asks you what it is, do you want to say, "It's a GP Kids..." ? Personally I can get a gameboy micro for $35(american)new and the name is just really not doing it for me. :rolleyes:
Where? I wouldn't mind having a spare micro. :)

it would only be a bargain it it had a 320x240 screen but since its 220x176.. everything is going to look ultramegacrap on it.

I must have miss-read a thred, i though that they had changed the screen to 320x240, oh well there go's any chance of even half decent video playback.

The res is bad for emulation but I don't see what problem there is with video. Most video is not 320x240 and needs to be resized or scaled to that resolution anyway, on the GP2X, DS, GBA, PSP and most other media players.

Exophase posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:27 AM said:
Yes. I should possibly mention that gpSP in particular renders directly to VRAM and then uses the graphics hardware to scale the image to the screen, as a texture. So I am using the 3D hardware, and it's great (bilinear filtering for free is a huge win for a lot of emulators).. just not using it for the rendering stages.. Want to iterate once more that 3D hardware is a huge win, and if XGP has bilinear filterted textures (all things indicate it will) then that alone is a big help, even if it makes things "fuzzy" (a lot of people happen to even prefer that, over something blocky.. I for one don't mind it much of the time)

For something like the GP2X GBA at 1:1 wouldn't be too bad, just pretend you are playing a GBA micro :p The GP2X can hardware scale an image but doesn't filter. I happen to hate the fuzzy /scaled filtered look anyway. At 1:1 there aren't many pixels to render so you should get some speed up from that.

I spoke to GP in further detail about the GPKiDS hardware, and while I can't be very specific without permission, GBA emulation is probably not going to be feasible at any acceptable speed. I don't see why NES, GB/GBC, SMS/GG and maybe MegaDrive/Genesis would be a big problem, though. Just probably not 60 FPS/FS0 at 100% speed.

I don't see why NES, GB/GBC, SMS/GG and maybe MegaDrive/Genesis would be a big problem, though. Just probably not 60 FPS/FS0 at 100% speed.

I do see why Megadrive/Genesis would be a problem, that is easy it is too low res to do 320 x 220 plus it has an analog stick. Why bother at all? Craptastic emulation system period. It is better for original stuff, even then there are better choices.

I do see why Megadrive/Genesis would be a problem, that is easy it is too low res to do 320 x 220 plus it has an analog stick. Why bother at all? Craptastic emulation system period. It is better for original stuff, even then there are better choices.
Agreed. The actual CPU emulation may be too much for this machine, also drawing the tiles. It's pretty anemic hardware. But I guess the reason is absolute low cost. I wouldn't bring up emulation except that a lot of people are dead set on emulating SOMETHING on it. I'd just want to program a couple little toy programs for it and listen to some MP3s and OGGs probably.

Exophase posted on Sep 25 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
There was a "virtualizing" emulator in development for GP32 too. Did that ever run GBA games fullspeed? That's a rhetorical question, you don't have to actually answer that.
Yes it did. It was even able to run them 4 times faster than they should, and i´m talking about 3D stuff.

4 times faster? That seems a little far-fetched, but it's possible, I suppose. What was the name of this emulator? What's surprising is that the graphics would be drawn efficiently to the display-- the GP32 didn't even have a blitter so there was considerable CPU load to draw anything-- and GBA games use the same complex graphics methodologies (e.g. transparencies) that the SNES did, and that's a big chore even on the GP2X *with* a blitter.

I seem to recall it differently though; that there was an emulator that only worked experimentally and couldn't really run any games, and was still in development when the GP2X came out...

4 times faster? That seems a little far-fetched, but it's possible, I suppose. What was the name of this emulator? What's surprising is that the graphics would be drawn efficiently to the display-- the GP32 didn't even have a blitter so there was considerable CPU load to draw anything-- and GBA games use the same complex graphics methodologies (e.g. transparencies) that the SNES did, and that's a big chore even on the GP2X *with* a blitter.

I seem to recall it differently though; that there was an emulator that only worked experimentally and couldn't really run any games, and was still in development when the GP2X came out...
I think he was being sarcastic.

I assume so. Realistically CPU interpretation could be that fast, as it's not real emulation; it's the rest of the system being so snappy that's unrealistic. Either way I never got that involved with the GP32.

I was being serious. Some early versions of GPAdvance (IIRC, it was v .18 or so) were actually very fast. They were only compatible to a couple of Homebrew games and demos, but they were running at an incredible speed, much faster than fullspeed. However, when compatibility was added and more of the GBA´s other chips were emulated, the emulation grew quite slow.

Back