xcom no sound

WTF! I was using the gold edition... :wacko: Tried the v1 and patched until 1.4, and now I have the music, but

1) the music is worse than running it in dosbox (maybe I must try different midi sets... or maybe rerun setup from dosbox to change soundcard...)

2) it's too low !! In the readme of the 1.4 patch tells to use + and - of the numeric keypad to adjust the volume, but does anyone knows if those keys are emulated in some way with the pandora ?

WTF! I was using the gold edition... :wacko: Tried the v1 and patched until 1.4, and now I have the music, but
AFAIK gold edition is a version for windows.

Original DOS X-COM: UFO Defense version 1.4 is required (it's written in the readme) - other versions are not guaranteed to work.

1) the music is worse than running it in dosbox (maybe I must try different midi sets... or maybe rerun setup from dosbox to change soundcard...)
On pandora, the game is always using General Midi music, regardless of what you select in the setup - the settings from setup are not used. The only way to change the quality is to use a different midi set - the largest is recommended (also written in the readme).

2) it's too low !! In the readme of the 1.4 patch tells to use + and - of the numeric keypad to adjust the volume, but does anyone knows if those keys are emulated in some way with the pandora ?
This doesn't seem to work - on pandora or in dosbox.

But in the configuration file, you can select sound and music volume relative to the overall volume. So you can decrease sound volume and increase overall volume - this way the music volume will increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the Freepats (33mb) set is more similar to the soundblaster. (nevermind, after adjusting the volume the largest set is indeed the best)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i am back. still no music in my xcom. What do i have to do here? now i know i need v1.4 and the patch. am i right?

ok i am back. still no music in my xcom. What do i have to do here? now i know i need v1.4 and the patch. am i right?

v1.4 is the last dos version, if you have it already you don't need a patch, anyway if you have a previous version you can find the patches here:

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html

(Patch for v1.0 to 1.2 and Patch for v1.2 to 1.4)

You also need timidity midi installer

i have V1.0, do i need both these patches?

v1.4 is the last dos version, if you have it already you don't need a patch, anyway if you have a previous version you can find the patches here:

ok, how do you install patch 1.4? i did 1.2 but am a little confused about how to install patch 1.4

ok, how do you install patch 1.4? i did 1.2 but am a little confused about how to install patch 1.4

If I remember correctly the patch 1.2 require to extract the archive in the xcom directory and launch 'update.bat', and the 1.4 must be extracted in the same directory overwriting all the existent files, and then you can launch 'setup' (this is not required for this port, but it does nothing bad to do it anyway).

Now you can put all the files in the 'appdata/xcom1/game' directory and enjoy ;)

Back