xcom no sound

Lao Rebel

i just got my pandora and am testing out xcom!! my fav game of all time!! plays great, but no sound, what is the deal?

i read about this a while ago on how to fix this, but i didn't have my pandora at the time, so i didn't pay too much attention.

how can i enable music in xcom? you know that creepy music? the sound effects seems to be working, but not music!!

i installed timidity, but where is the application? it's not showing up in my menu. all it did was it created a folder called "midi" on my sd card and w/in that folder is another folder called "eawpats." am i suppose to click on something to make timidity work?

try installing these first. i cant guarantee it, but theyre the usual things to fix sound issues.

http://www.openpando...s/CodecPack.pnd

http://repo.openpand...installer-19487

Edit: Its the timidity one that youre missing. next time, please read the pnd documentation, or the comments from the respective repo page

just run your game now, once timidity is installed....unless im not remembering right

yeah just run the installer and it "should" work...

still not playing any music. i installed timidity, the folder is there, but still no music. there might be something else i'm not doing. xcom have sound effects, like guns shooting, aliens screaming, clicking sounds of the mouse, but the music isn't working.

do i have to install timidity on same sd card that xcom is in?

do i have to do something w/the mixer?

theres go to be a way to activate timidity

try installing these first. i cant guarantee it, but theyre the usual things to fix sound issues.

http://www.openpando...s/CodecPack.pnd

http://repo.openpand...installer-19487

Edit: Its the timidity one that youre missing. next time, please read the pnd documentation, or the comments from the respective repo page
yeah just run the installer and it "should" work...

timidity installed, but still no music. there are sound effects, but just no music. is there something else im missing here?

I would think that would be included, as I never heard of a WildMIDI pnd.. the repo comment mentions a configuration file you could set it to use the old SDL method of MIDI, I'd check the X-COM appdata folder for that config file and try setting it to the SDL method..

v1.2.0:

* MIDI playback using WildMIDI

(old MIDI playback using SDL_mixer can be set in the configuration file)

* show the Readme in the Documentation submenu

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that would be included, as I never heard of a WildMIDI pnd.. the repo comment mentions a configuration file you could set it to use the old SDL method of MIDI, I'd check the X-COM appdata folder for that config file and try setting it to the SDL method..

v1.2.0:

* MIDI playback using WildMIDI

(old MIDI playback using SDL_mixer can be set in the configuration file)

* show the Readme in the Documentation submenu

i have been looking for the config file but i cannot find it! where should it be? i'm looking in appdata right now, nothing. oh man, help me out i want to play xcom so bad!! i can play it perfectly but i need that creepy xcom music!!

Installed the codec pack, too?

Could also be a solution to set the old midi playback (sdl_mixer) in the config file in the appdatadirectory of the program.

try viewing hidden files.. the configure file may be hidden. it will show up with a period in front of it.

Installed the codec pack, too?

Could also be a solution to set the old midi playback (sdl_mixer) in the config file in the appdatadirectory of the program.

i got the codec pack. i been trying to find the config file and nothing that says sdl mixer anywhere. where is it exactly? there's no config file in the xcom file or midi folder.

when i installed timidity, it just created a folder called "midi." am i suppose to put that folder somewhere?

try viewing hidden files.. the configure file may be hidden. it will show up with a period in front of it.

i been trying to find the configure file, i am viewing hidden files, but cannot find it. where is it exactly? no sdl_mixer no nothing, i can't find them.

all i got from installing timidity is a folder called "midi." am i suppose to do something w/that folder?

Well I tried it out my self, I'm getting the same issue.. I put up a comment on the repo asking how to switch it to the older SDL_mixer method of MIDI.. an email gets sent to the PND maintainer when someone comments, so hopefully we will hear back..

all i got from installing timidity is a folder called "midi." am i suppose to do something w/that folder?

you shouldn't have to play with anything after installing timidity.. it just works after installing. something is broken with the PND or the current hotfix broke something with this one game.

Well I tried it out my self, I'm getting the same issue.. I put up a comment on the repo asking how to switch it to the older SDL_mixer method of MIDI.. an email gets sent to the PND maintainer when someone comments, so hopefully we will hear back..

you shouldn't have to play with anything after installing timidity.. it just works after installing. something is broken with the PND or the current hotfix broke something with this one game.

ok thanks for your help! keep me posted b/c i really want xcom to work!! i don't know what to do here

I replied on the repo, but I'll also reply here.

In the config file, you have to change

Code:
Audio_MIDI_Subsystem=wildmidi

to

Code:
Audio_MIDI_Subsystem=sdl_mixer

You don't see the option in your config file probably because you used earlier version of the pnd where it didn't exist. If you delete the config file and run the game, the config file will be recreated with all options.

I'm using Hotfix 6 and the music is working (using wildmidi and using sdl_mixer).

If you can't get the music to work, try some other game which uses timidity if the music works there (prboom, ...).

So, I deleted the old config files and now see that option, however no luck with the music with both wildmidi or sdl_mixer settings.

With that said, I can hear MIDI in prboom, ROTT and other games fine..

I've tried both my new 512meg Pandora with Super Zaxxon beta 4 and older Pandora with Zaxxon Hotfix 7 Beta 1

so it's a bit of a mystery.

I replied on the repo, but I'll also reply here.

In the config file, you have to change

Code:
Audio_MIDI_Subsystem=wildmidi

to

Code:
Audio_MIDI_Subsystem=sdl_mixer

You don't see the option in your config file probably because you used earlier version of the pnd where it didn't exist. If you delete the config file and run the game, the config file will be recreated with all options.

I'm using Hotfix 6 and the music is working (using wildmidi and using sdl_mixer).

If you can't get the music to work, try some other game which uses timidity if the music works there (prboom, ...).

i did all you said. i deleted config file and ran game. still no music. then i changed to sdl_mixer and back to wildmidi, but no dice! still no music. all i'm getting are sound effects, but no music.

what do you think is my malfunction here? i really want music in xcom. i got timidity installed, but it's not working.

So, I deleted the old config files and now see that option, however no luck with the music with both wildmidi or sdl_mixer settings.

With that said, I can hear MIDI in prboom, ROTT and other games fine..

I've tried both my new 512meg Pandora with Super Zaxxon beta 4 and older Pandora with Zaxxon Hotfix 7 Beta 1

so it's a bit of a mystery.

me too!! still no music! i get sound effects, but not the music. everything in xcom works great! but just no music, no tunes, just sound effects like screaming and shooting

I still use superzaxxon beta 2 and no music for me... I even tried different sets from timidity installer, and the SDL_mixer option...

I'm on Super Zaxxon Beta 5a and also had a lack of sound when I tried X-COM. Then I realized I wasn't using v1.4 (download the v1.4 patch and unzip into your game folder) and also hadn't run the setup in dosbox. I setup mine to use the first options on the list for music and sound effects. As a sanity check also try running game with dosbox on other machines to rule out issues with the OP wrapper.

I hope this helps others.

Back