got X-COM problem...again

Lao Rebel

i finally got music in xcom to work w/the help of all you people in this section. but now i have another problem in xcom. when i am in the battlescape, landed my soldiers to kick some alien asses, the screen goes black!! this happens when i moved my first soldier out of the skyranger, when i do that the whole screen goes black. i can still see the cursor but that is it. i tapped blindly w/my stylus to abort mission and then the screen came back displaying the geoscape.

what is going on here?

I never had issues like that on missions, with some more particulars maybe I can try to reproduce

:eek: WHAT ?! A new version ?!

v1.2.1:

* working music when using Gold version for Windows

Gold version for Windows should also work, but it's not tested much.

:D GOOD !! I will test it !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it happen on every mission or only on that one ?

Also try the new version in the repo, maybe it will help.

when i started the game just to test it, the screen on the first mission goes black when i move my first soldier out of the skyranger. i restarted the game, it happened again and again. i also downloaded the latest xcom version, still got same problem. Terror from the deep works flawlessly, but xcom1 still giving me problems. so i don't know why it gives me a black screen during battlescape missions. any ideas on how i can fix this?

Just a guess, but maybe your datafiles are corrupted somehow?

i like to report that i get no black screens when i choose to play w/ no touch screen. i do get the black screen when i choose the touchscreen RH option. i don't mind playing xcom w/no touchscreen. i don't like using stylus anyways

oh, maybe the configuration file for RH is the problem, you can try delete the xcom1 dir from appdata (keeping the content of "game" folder), and launch the pnd, in order to make it recreate them in their default state

oh, maybe the configuration file for RH is the problem, you can try delete the xcom1 dir from appdata (keeping the content of "game" folder), and launch the pnd, in order to make it recreate them in their default state

tried that. but now instead of the black screen i get returned to geoscape. i have compressed the whole game and sent it to M-HT. he wanted to take a look at it. hopefully he can help

Different problem, but I didn't want to start a new thread as it's related to using XCom.

Has anybody else had a problem with your nubs after installing X-COM: UFO (Steam version) with latest .PND and Timidity MIDI?

My nubs have worked brilliantly since I got my Pandora, however since installing XCom and Timidity for the music my nubs don't work at all. I'm pretty sure they worked when I first installed XCom, but after adding Timidity they stopped working. Maybe a coincidence. Dunno. Anyone else have this?

What do you mean ? Don't work In x-com ? or in the entire OS ?

Have you tried to look in "Settings -> Pandora nub configurator" ? Maybe them are actually set as joysticks

Hi PowerGod

The nubs don't work at all - in or out of the game. I can't check the settings at the moment as I'm at work now, but it's odd that they've changed, as they worked fine prior to installing XCom and Timidity. I don't know what/why the settings would have changed as a result of this, but there we are. They were definitely working after installing the latest Pandora FW though. i don't really play on the Pandora and use it more for devving, so I know that no other games/installations have caused this. Just wondered if anyone else had come across this. Maybe I knocked a setting somehow. Dunno.

TBH it doesn't bother me much as I use the touchscreen more than the nubs anyway.

I'll have a look at the settings later. Cheers. :)

[EDIT] And yep, PowerGod the nubs were indeed set to joystick. Now I know I didn't change these settings (either accidentally or deliberately), as both nubs were set to joystick and you need to press "Write nub settings" to save changes. So how did it change from mouse to joystick? Nobody else uses my Pandora.

Oh well. Sorted.Job's a good'un. Cheers PowerGod :)

[EDIT] And yep, PowerGod the nubs were indeed set to joystick. Now I know I didn't change these settings (either accidentally or deliberately), as both nubs were set to joystick and you need to press "Write nub settings" to save changes. So how did it change from mouse to joystick? Nobody else uses my Pandora.

It's most likely caused when a PND that changes the nubs to Joystick mode via a start-up script crashes and doesn't change them back with the closing script.. Mupen64 is one example that does this if it crashes mid play.

Just something to look out for and easy to remedy..

It's most likely caused when a PND that changes the nubs to Joystick mode via a start-up script crashes and doesn't change them back with the closing script.
Could be something like that, but I haven't played ANYTHING on my Pandora, other than XCom (and my own Hallowian, which doesn't use joystick modes at all) since updating the FW.

Dunno. But it's sorted now. So all is well.

Back