Xbox 360 Price Revealed

sam fisher posted on Aug 18 2005 at 02:56 PM said:
skysnapper posted on Aug 17 2005 at 02:13 PM said:
Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at 299.99 USD in the United States, 299.99 EUR in Europe and 209.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at 399.99 USD in the United States, 399.99 EUR in Europe and 279.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September.

Now if it this price im sorely tempted to get them. If only to use it as multimedia box for the my TV with HDTV support (oh and it can play some rather nice looking game too ;) ). If they are releasing at this price point with all that power early on i reckon they could be on to a bit of winner..

Its got me thinking as prevously had no interest in xbox 360 when it was first shown at E3 but now.... especially as it was going to move the contents of my current pc into an nice HTPC box ( box was £110+ alone) and some of the games coming out do look particularily outstanding
That version is not backwards compatible

bast525 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
Then M$ are SUCH goddamn f'ing liars!

I seem to remember them going out of their way at E3 in May, to dispell all 'rumors' of their being two different versions of the 360, and also stating that ALL 360's would include the hard drive. This crap about the HD and the wireless controller too... that really sucks that you have to shell out extra $100 for that.

They are also shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their game developers.

With the Xbox 1, the hard drive was built in with EVERY Xbox, so developers knew that was a tool they could use for every game, no exceptions, and many games make great use of the HD as virtual memory and to speed up load times.

Now if the HD will be optional with the 360, developers are going to be put in between a rock and a hard place. They can either a) create games that use, and require, the HD, but then exclude anyone who does NOT have the HD from playing/buying, B) create games that have optional content that can use the HD, but allow non HD owners to still be able to play (this tends to piss consumers off, because the guys who DIDN"T pop the extra $100 get pissed that they are missing key features, this is always bad marketing as has been shown time and again), or c) don't make use of the HD for their games at all.... which will suck for them and us as this means they will not be using the FULL capabilities of the system.

All three options suck, IMO.

One other thing, pure speculation on my part, but seems to make sense to me. If M$ WERE originally planning on making the HD standard on all 360's, but have suddenly changed their mind, this is probably because they have found out that Sony will also be making the PS3 HD optional instead of standard. We all know how these companies tend to 'copy' each other like that. I was really hoping PS3 would have the HD built in this time...........

Twimfy, I agree with you 100%. Everything I've seen/heard about the new systems, how they are being marketted/talked about, what they are being touted as being able to do... all that... really just getting on my nerves. For the first time I find I'm really unsure about buying any of these systems when they first launch... I have ALWAYS bought EVERY new system (major players, not counting stuff like Neo Geo) right when they launched. But this time around I'm most likely just going to hold onto my money until something comes out that just blows me away or that I simply must have.
J ALLARD broke his wrist! it was a conspiracy. get rid of him to add a crap model 360!

EvilDragon posted on Aug 17 2005 at 11:13 PM said:
I played some Final Fantasy XI on XBox360 today.. it wasn't THAT stunning...
its a port of pc port. Which coincidently is a port of the game on the steaming pile of dog turd and puke. how silly of me. you probably call it by its real name the piss station fuck knows why the fuck i own it woot emotion processor 2.
HOW DARE YOU INSULT A FINAL FANTASY GAME YOU FOUL LITTLE WORM

Last edited by a moderator:
final fantasy kicks ass. although I haven't played XI i'm sure its just as good as its predecessors (although somewhat more expensive :( Thats why I don't have it).

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 21 2005 at 04:20 AM said:
final fantasy kicks ass. although I haven't played XI i'm sure its just as good as its predecessors (although somewhat more expensive :( Thats why I don't have it).
same here.

not just expensive, but it's a game that you can't play casually. mmorpgs are weak :p

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 21 2005 at 03:20 AM said:

This version of FF blows hard. It sucks so bad that it shouldn't even be called FF. It is an online only bullshit game, no live then you don't play. This game will require a costly connection AND subscription to play and then it is just a crappy online arena game.

DaveC posted on Aug 21 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 21 2005 at 03:20 AM said:

This version of FF blows hard. It sucks so bad that it shouldn't even be called FF. It is an online only bullshit game, no live then you don't play. This game will require a costly connection AND subscription to play and then it is just a crappy online arena game.
Apparently this one will only require an Xbox live connection, not an FF subscription.

I know this may be pretty sad but...

The biggest thing about the new xBox that I'm hyped up about is the fact that then the normal xBox prices will drop :lol: .

So I'll finally be looking at those great xBox/PS2 games that I couldn't get on my cube for really cheap :D

hell, I'll only be spending $15-$20 at most for great games like Halo, Burnout 3, Amped 2, Fable, etc.

tekt5 posted on Aug 22 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
I know this may be pretty sad but...

The biggest thing about the new xBox that I'm hyped up about is the fact that then the normal xBox prices will drop :lol: .

So I'll finally be looking at those great xBox/PS2 games that I couldn't get on my cube for really cheap :D

hell, I'll only be spending $15-$20 at most for great games like Halo, Burnout 3, Amped 2, Fable, etc.
Thats what I usually do. Unless its an amazingly good rpg I won't buy a game unless ats less than $30, usually more like $20. I bought ICO for the ps2 used at a movie/video game rental store for $5. Great game (although that low price does mean the disc has quite a few scratches which means that occasionally it has trouble reading the disc). I get a lot of games at pawn shops becuase they are usually really cheap (still looking for a good final fantasy game for snes. I found FFMQ but I never really liked that game).

yeah, getting games for cheap is fun.
hey, definitely check out Gradius V and R-type final! both are pretty cheap($10-$30), and really fun, especially Gradius V...fun, fun game.

Hell yeah Gradius V KICKS SO MUCH ASS!!!

So much better than every other gradius, IMO.

A lot of people don't know this, but the good folks at Treasure (the company behind Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian/Gunstar Heroes) had a big hand in making Gradius V, and it definately shows. The little gameplay tweaks, and some signature boss attack styles/bullet patterns really let on that it's a Treasure game at heart. By far the best PS2 shootem'up out only a handful that the system even has.

Rtype final dissapointed a little :( I still feel Rtype Delta for PS1 was a far better game. Final is cool for the massive amount of ships you can choose from. But the soundtrack flat out sucks IMO... again, Delta kills Final in that respect.

If you like shmups at all though Gradius V definately worth picking up, I usually don't even like Gradius games at all but somehow Treasure took those old game mechanics and really made them fun.

is gradius v better than ikaruga? I was looking at getting ikaruga but i'm a cheapass and wouldn't pay $30 for it.

yeah, get both! iIkaruga is way past cool, and everyone loves it. Gradius V is a horizontal shmup with nice graphics, soundtrack, and solid gameplay...i agree, it is the best Gradius game.
and yeah, r-type final isn't all that, but not bad for the price($10 new). i remember playing an import copy way back and i thought it was ok, and i've just picked up a cheap copy recently.
hey have you played psyvariar 2? i finally got around to playing it(xbox vers.), and it's one solid game with really nice music. a bit short, though.

Back