Xbox 360 Price Revealed

skysnapper

sleep is for wimps
Website
Visit site
Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at 299.99 USD in the United States, 299.99 EUR in Europe and 209.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at 399.99 USD in the United States, 399.99 EUR in Europe and 279.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September.

Now if it this price im sorely tempted to get them. If only to use it as multimedia box for the my TV with HDTV support (oh and it can play some rather nice looking game too ;) ). If they are releasing at this price point with all that power early on i reckon they could be on to a bit of winner..

Its got me thinking as prevously had no interest in xbox 360 when it was first shown at E3 but now.... especially as it was going to move the contents of my current pc into an nice HTPC box ( box was £110+ alone) and some of the games coming out do look particularily outstanding

Thats a nice price, especially for the UK. I am more tempted to commit after hearing this but the new generation of consoles is getting on my nerves already. I don't want an interactive media centre I want a games console.

PS3 still seems more attractive at current because it is still being marketted as a games console whereas the 360 is being whored out as everything besides the kitchen sink.

I might leave my money in the bank until a good few months after both have been running for a while, in order to see how it all pans out.

Then M$ are SUCH goddamn f'ing liars!

I seem to remember them going out of their way at E3 in May, to dispell all 'rumors' of their being two different versions of the 360, and also stating that ALL 360's would include the hard drive. This crap about the HD and the wireless controller too... that really sucks that you have to shell out extra $100 for that.

They are also shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their game developers.

With the Xbox 1, the hard drive was built in with EVERY Xbox, so developers knew that was a tool they could use for every game, no exceptions, and many games make great use of the HD as virtual memory and to speed up load times.

Now if the HD will be optional with the 360, developers are going to be put in between a rock and a hard place. They can either a) create games that use, and require, the HD, but then exclude anyone who does NOT have the HD from playing/buying, B) create games that have optional content that can use the HD, but allow non HD owners to still be able to play (this tends to piss consumers off, because the guys who DIDN"T pop the extra $100 get pissed that they are missing key features, this is always bad marketing as has been shown time and again), or c) don't make use of the HD for their games at all.... which will suck for them and us as this means they will not be using the FULL capabilities of the system.

All three options suck, IMO.

One other thing, pure speculation on my part, but seems to make sense to me. If M$ WERE originally planning on making the HD standard on all 360's, but have suddenly changed their mind, this is probably because they have found out that Sony will also be making the PS3 HD optional instead of standard. We all know how these companies tend to 'copy' each other like that. I was really hoping PS3 would have the HD built in this time...........

Twimfy, I agree with you 100%. Everything I've seen/heard about the new systems, how they are being marketted/talked about, what they are being touted as being able to do... all that... really just getting on my nerves. For the first time I find I'm really unsure about buying any of these systems when they first launch... I have ALWAYS bought EVERY new system (major players, not counting stuff like Neo Geo) right when they launched. But this time around I'm most likely just going to hold onto my money until something comes out that just blows me away or that I simply must have.

i personally don't care about either 3 of the new systems. I will say though the price for this new XBOX is less than what I expected.

As for the harddrive thing, i think that can be easily worked around. The PS2 doesn't use a harddrive for 99% of their games and the games work out pretty fine.

If all its for is special content or faster loading time, when you first boot up the game it should ask you, use hard drive, or do not use hard drive. It should not affect the REGULAR content of any game, and would only really affect loading time. I do not think the lack of a hard drive is really going to be that big of a deal.

x1,5 is getting more and more of a joke, they are lieng constantly, and removing fetures.
Its not even good anymore as a hd player as they only use a normal dvd drive.
I dont see any point for this system anymore, if oyu want speed, gfx, hd you go for ps3 wich wont be much more expensive.
If you want a cheap nextgen platform you go for nrev.

All the "great" fetures are gone by now, no wireless controlers as standart, no wifi, no hdd, hdtv only with expensive extra cable, hdd only as extra. when you want the system they showed at e3 now you have to buy additional stuff worth ~200$, thats a bad joke.

- Faceplate ($19.99 U.S. / €19.99 / £14.99)
- Xbox 360 Controller ($39.99 U.S. / €34.99 / £24.99)
- Component HD AV Cable ($39.99 U.S. / €29.99 / £19.99)
- Xbox 360 Hard Drive 20 GB ($99.99 U.S. / €99.99 / £69.99)
- Xbox 360 Memory Unit 64 MB ($39.99 U.S. / €34.99 / £22.99)
- Xbox 360 Wireless Controller ($49.99 U.S. / €44.99 / £32.99)
- Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit. ($19.99 U.S. / €19.99 / £14.99)
- Xbox 360 rechargeable Battery Pack. ($11.99 U.S. / €14.99 / £9.99)
- Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99 U.S. / €79.99 / £59.99)
- Xbox 360 Headset ($19.99 U.S. / €19.99 / £14.99)
- Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote ($29.99 U.S. / €29.99 / £19.99)
- Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (only in USA) / Xbox 360 SCART AV Cable (only in Europe) je $29.99 U.S./€24.99/£17.99
- Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable. ($39.99 U.S./€29.99/£19.99)

WEll the originbal xboxs HDD is upgradeable (I should know), so as long as MS make sure all models can have a HDD fitted at a later date (which as theyre selling them spereatley, sounds plausible), im happy. Ive saved money by not paying for a HDD id just get rid of and upgrade anyway.

I'0m very tempted now

although I will probably wait until SONY and NINTENDO make definitive statements about their respective consoles before I dive right in, and IMO they would be foolish not to release these details before the 360 launch, otherwise everyones attention will be on the XBOX

Well, maybe in the UK thats a good price....To me that price sounds terrible. Its $400 for the better version! And the xbox 360 isn't going to be nearly as powerful or as good as the ps3 (and possibly not even the revolution, look at their backward compatability, its kinda tempting). Plus, I would hate to be supporting that shitty monopoly.

Well, that's a decent price even if it doesn't come with a HDD as standard. The only problem is, there's not a single exclusive game I really care about in the 360 line-up right now. PS3, here I come...

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 08:26 PM said:
Well, maybe in the UK thats a good price....To me that price sounds terrible. Its $400 for the better version! And the xbox 360 isn't going to be nearly as powerful or as good as the ps3 (and possibly not even the revolution, look at their backward compatability, its kinda tempting). Plus, I would hate to be supporting that shitty monopoly.

It's actually more expensive in the UK. £279 = $503.846 so count yourself lucky. Also, I wouldn't believe the whole PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X360 stuff. The difference will be less than you think.

What I want to know is, why has it taken developers this long to realise that zombies are awesome? I need an X360 for Dead Rising alone. Hopefully Sega will throw in some nice support. I liked the look of the Afterburner, Virtua Fighter, HOTD and Sonic demos from E3. Hopefully they're X360 bound, Sega did give a lot of early support to the original Xbox, JSRF, GUNVALKYRIE, Panzer Dragoon Orta etc. Those were what made me get an Xbox in the first place. Maybe Sega can do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
davey g posted on Aug 17 2005 at 09:12 PM said:
deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 08:26 PM said:

It's actually more expensive in the UK. £279 = $503.846 so count yourself lucky. Also, I wouldn't believe the whole PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X360 stuff. The difference will be less than you think.

Wow, they're f****ing ripping you off! And even if the ps3 isn't THAT much better than the xbox 360 I think it will still be better. And the software will definitely be better (at least in my opinion). And even if it isn't I won't buy an xbox 360 because I hate supporting microsoft. They're a shitty company and they're f***ing terribly sports. Read THIS and then a couple more articles about microsoft and you'll see what I mean. They're complete jackasses and they get away with it because they have a f***ing monopoly. Sony is actually starting to behave like that too (sueing uk psp importers "You can't buy our product!"*) but not as bad. Thats why, although I think they're f***ing screwing themselves over, I support nintendo. If microsoft gets a hold of the game industry....god help us.
[/rant]

*not a real quote

davey g posted on Aug 18 2005 at 12:32 AM said:
They have barely changed Final Fantasy XI, it's basically a port of the PC version which was a port of the PS2 version.

Yeah... well, they updated the graphics... but not much.
Though they told me it's not final yet.

Last edited:
skysnapper posted on Aug 17 2005 at 02:13 PM said:
Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at 299.99 USD in the United States, 299.99 EUR in Europe and 209.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at 399.99 USD in the United States, 399.99 EUR in Europe and 279.99 GBP in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September.

Now if it this price im sorely tempted to get them. If only to use it as multimedia box for the my TV with HDTV support (oh and it can play some rather nice looking game too ;) ). If they are releasing at this price point with all that power early on i reckon they could be on to a bit of winner..

Its got me thinking as prevously had no interest in xbox 360 when it was first shown at E3 but now.... especially as it was going to move the contents of my current pc into an nice HTPC box ( box was £110+ alone) and some of the games coming out do look particularily outstanding
That version is not backwards compatible

bast525 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
Then M$ are SUCH goddamn f'ing liars!

I seem to remember them going out of their way at E3 in May, to dispell all 'rumors' of their being two different versions of the 360, and also stating that ALL 360's would include the hard drive. This crap about the HD and the wireless controller too... that really sucks that you have to shell out extra $100 for that.

They are also shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their game developers.

With the Xbox 1, the hard drive was built in with EVERY Xbox, so developers knew that was a tool they could use for every game, no exceptions, and many games make great use of the HD as virtual memory and to speed up load times.

Now if the HD will be optional with the 360, developers are going to be put in between a rock and a hard place. They can either a) create games that use, and require, the HD, but then exclude anyone who does NOT have the HD from playing/buying, B) create games that have optional content that can use the HD, but allow non HD owners to still be able to play (this tends to piss consumers off, because the guys who DIDN"T pop the extra $100 get pissed that they are missing key features, this is always bad marketing as has been shown time and again), or c) don't make use of the HD for their games at all.... which will suck for them and us as this means they will not be using the FULL capabilities of the system.

All three options suck, IMO.

One other thing, pure speculation on my part, but seems to make sense to me. If M$ WERE originally planning on making the HD standard on all 360's, but have suddenly changed their mind, this is probably because they have found out that Sony will also be making the PS3 HD optional instead of standard. We all know how these companies tend to 'copy' each other like that. I was really hoping PS3 would have the HD built in this time...........

Twimfy, I agree with you 100%. Everything I've seen/heard about the new systems, how they are being marketted/talked about, what they are being touted as being able to do... all that... really just getting on my nerves. For the first time I find I'm really unsure about buying any of these systems when they first launch... I have ALWAYS bought EVERY new system (major players, not counting stuff like Neo Geo) right when they launched. But this time around I'm most likely just going to hold onto my money until something comes out that just blows me away or that I simply must have.
J ALLARD broke his wrist! it was a conspiracy. get rid of him to add a crap model 360!

EvilDragon posted on Aug 17 2005 at 11:13 PM said:
I played some Final Fantasy XI on XBox360 today.. it wasn't THAT stunning...
its a port of pc port. Which coincidently is a port of the game on the steaming pile of dog turd and puke. how silly of me. you probably call it by its real name the piss station fuck knows why the fuck i own it woot emotion processor 2.

I like my ps2, its rpg heaven. I also like my gamecube, but its has almost 0 third party support. I hate xbox because it f***ing sucks. Halo is an awsome game, but it wouldn't get me to buy the system. The rest of xbox's good games are mostly pc ports, or have/will be ported to the pc (halo was ported but that doesn't count because the pc version is sh*t compared to the xbox version, its terribly buggy). Plus, as I said before, no matter how good the xbox or xbox 360 are I will never support bill gate's shitty company.

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 18 2005 at 03:03 PM said:
I like my ps2, its rpg heaven. I also like my gamecube, but its has almost 0 third party support. I hate xbox because it f***ing sucks. Halo is an awsome game, but it wouldn't get me to buy the system. The rest of xbox's good games are mostly pc ports, or have/will be ported to the pc (halo was ported but that doesn't count because the pc version is sh*t compared to the xbox version, its terribly buggy). Plus, as I said before, no matter how good the xbox or xbox 360 are I will never support bill gate's shitty company.

as much as we all hate ms, there's no need to say untrue things about the xbox game library. the xbox has a lot of cool games, and not even 5% of all its games are pc ports. xbox is also the choice system for sports games, fighters, and action games, and even racers(thanks to online play).
imo, sony is as much a shitty company as ms..

anyway, going to pick up the core package since a VGA cable costs $40, and $400 +$40 + $60(game) is waay too much. only thing i'm missing will be the harddrive..which'll cost $100!!
2.5" 20gb drives cost no where near that much!

Back