Worried about the weight

I really don't think a little more weight would be that big of a deal. It's not going to make that much of
a difference.

The big battery should be there by default. IIRC, that 10hrs is only for Pandora level work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's just get a cheap Dual A7 SoC and we can watch emulator slideshows for 20 hours with half a Pandora battery :)

@T4b:  It would be grand if they were naturally stronger than everyone thinks and the disadvantage is just that they are lazy or think that it doesn't look good (never heard that), but I do not even doubt, that this is not the case. Calling the majority of females lazy is quite mean btw. ;)
It would just be one of many mean things I say. :)Life is mean and humans are mean. Also stupid, very often.

But that's not what I actually wanted to say.

I don't think more women are lazy than men. But I think men generally work out more than women and that men generally have a more competitive nature (which also leads to better results in that chosen discipline). The exception proves the rule.

I've heard the aesthetical argument multiple times.

But that's not the point, I didn't express myself clearly it seems.

We are talking about everyday life. Not about athletes.

If someone regularly lifts/carries round x grams of weight then after a short period of time that weight starts to feel like less until it stops feeling heavy at all. For reasonably small x the gender doesn't matter at all, you adapt anyway. Now maybe if x is bigger than 50k I might agree that women tend to have a harder time. But for the x's which are interesting to us, say between 200 and 500, it's so unimportant it can be disregarded completely.

There may be the question of taste, but physical differences are irrelevant.

Or is it?

I think in the current modern day world its ok to think females can lift heavy handhelds.

Also I think its a good trait to look for in a partner to be able to lift a pyra.

Its not like we are going to sit there and lift our own devices, ammirite?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This makes me ROTFL  :lol:

I always wear trousers, wherever I go.

Eh. Yes. Thank you.

For me the weight is not that important when holding it in my hands, but when it's in my trouser pockets, too much weight can be annoying.
 I...I do not know what you are all discussing here, but...  :blink:   :huh:   :ph34r:

I think in the current modern day world its ok to think females can lift[...] Its not like we are going to sit there and lift our own devices, ammirite?

AAHHHHH!!!

:D

Well the conclusion is that I'm alone here.

What really amazes me about the thread is the mentality of "if it's heavier it's more resistant", you people look like my father talking about cars. There are materials like fibres  (glass or carbon), or aluminium that are lighter than plastics (ok they introduce other problems) and still more resistant.

I guess I must go on with whatever the Pyra weights since there is no interest in the topic.

What really amazes me about the thread is the mentality of "if it's heavier it's more resistant", you people look like my father talking about cars. There are materials like fibres  (glass or carbon), or aluminium that are lighter than plastics (ok they introduce other problems) and still more resistant.
Don't think anyone here thinks that, I just think it's really low priority. Hey, it's light anyway.

I have some vague memories of losing an arm wrestling match against a girl. :)

You are truly a Geek!  Cool!  Perfect owner of a Pyra :D
Actually that was like 4 years ago and I've changed quite a bit since then. :)

I do at least 5 hours of sports per week, probably rather 8 or something. Not really intensive (I usually combine it with wanting to go somewhere and then taking my bike, but arriving completely soaked is not really my dream), but still.

Don't think anyone here thinks that, I just think it's really low priority. Hey, it's light anyway.
Weight a "low priority" for a handheld? Hmph ;)

Nah, I totally agree with asimov-solensan, it could be a concern if it weighs "much" more than the original. Of course these terms are relative to individual user`s physical appearance, but still. I think main problem difference here is how people use the device - I observed that many people use it on the desktop or just sitting down, in a lap. In this positions weight indeed is not an issue, and few grams more when you carry it around also shouldn`t matter. 

Personally  I mostly use my handhelds in horizontal positions - hands up in the air or on the side. This is when things get tricky - with original fat PSP/NDS my hands were getting tired pretty fast, the lite versions were a massive relief.

I was very worried about it before buying Pandora (size also) but luckily it`s just about okay...even though it`s tad heavier than fat NDS (it looks heavier than it really is). Here`s hoping the Pyra won`t gain too much weight...

Well the conclusion is that I'm alone here.

I guess I must go on with whatever the Pyra weights since there is no interest in the topic.
No your not, the Pandora is already almost at the limit. And weight is a priority as it is a handheld device hat deems to be pocketable. If its to heavy so you get sore arms after a while or it drags your trousers/jacket down, it looses one of its key selling points.

Soar arms? WIll they fly away?

Seriously though, a slightly heavier device won't kill pocketability. I am worried about thickness though, due to using 2 boards. Make it much thicker and it will look/feel like a brick.

I think the handheld should be a little less thick, and get wider.... much wider.
It should not emulate a DS, it should be a good console instead.
I like heavy handhelds. They give you a feeling that there is something serious in it.

It can work as a weapon.... (I once beaten up someone with a laptop... laptop survived.)
If you are scared that you cant hold it in a hand... maybe we should properly rubberize it, so it wont ever fall off you hand?

If it would weight like a car battery, and will "pull the pants off" every time i put it in the pocket, yet it would be more powerful and cheap... I would prefer it.

I know that i am a man who likes to walk for +12 hours by the beach and carry a few car batteries in his bag just to power a Olimex board, a SSD, a GoPro and "something else".... yet, my opinion stays like this.

I think the handheld should be a little less thick, and get wider.... much wider.
No. about the wider part. I'd say a few milimeters wider would be okay, but any bit more it dives in the realm of a netbook and wouldn't be as portable.. To me the Pandora is the right formula in size and portability as a UMPC/Gaming handheld, that Formula should be in the Pyra as well.

Back