Worried about the weight

Some mobile and laptop manufacturers advert how thin and lightweight their products are. I could never understand them.

Honestly, even if the Pandora would weight 3 Kg, I wouldn't care about it, as long as it fits into my bag.

Weaker by design/nature and most girls want light devices, that's at least what they say to me and most/nearly all of my friends have always been women.

I don't know if the DS would have been so popular if it would have had half a pound more weight.
I think that "weaker by nature" is overused quite a bit. Sure, there are differences. But they are increased by the mentality of our society a lot. When a women and a man do the same stuff, they end up more or less at the same strength, as long as you stay out of the extremes.
 You are free to check this out via arm wrestling anytime.

I met some girls/female collegues at work that exercised their arms more and more regularly than me and never even remotely came near to the strength of any male in the workshop.

You may be fooled by a feminist myth/lie there, but I am interested in your field studies anyway.
I have some vague memories of losing an arm wrestling match against a girl. :)But I guess we might have been too young for it to be relevant to the point.

I think I'm stronger than most of my female friends, but that probably has something to do with me doing more sports.

I think most of them actually don't want to be strong (enough) or don't want to spend the effort or think having visibly strong muscles isn't pretty for a women (I disagree).

But talking about "who is stronger" is the maximum again. There is a reason I inserted that "as long as you stay out of the extremes".

We are talking about less than 500g. Much less, probably.

It might just even out.

The screen for example is much lighter then the one in the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
@T4b:  It would be grand if they were naturally stronger than everyone thinks and the disadvantage is just that they are lazy or think that it doesn't look good (never heard that), but I do not even doubt, that this is not the case. Calling the majority of females lazy is quite mean btw. ;)

Well, let's see if the Pyra ends with much under 500g, now I read something about two boards inside.

Since my barbells are set to 10kg each, I personally don't give a damn.

Honestly, I think modern devices are getting too lite and too thin. Try holding an iPod touch , the thing is horrible to hold as its too thin, and feels like it can slip out of your hand easily, then you start over compensating by gripping it harder and it digs into your hand.   The lack of weight also contributes to this unconfortable feeling.   Like your holding paper and you dont have a good feel for whether youve got it secure or not - because you don't have that feel.  Also, if its too lite, it can often come across as cheap.

Honestly, I think modern devices are getting too lite and too thin. Try holding an iPod touch , the thing is horrible to hold as its too thin, and feels like it can slip out of your hand easily, then you start over compensating by gripping it harder and it digs into your hand.   The lack of weight also contributes to this unconfortable feeling.   Like your holding paper and you dont have a good feel for whether youve got it secure or not - because you don't have that feel.  Also, if its too lite, it can often come across as cheap.
Don't worry, that sure as hell won't be a problem anyway with all those ports. :D

No other company would still put full size USB ports into a handheld device because of the height, but I am glad that ED does.

It wasn't my first referense to the GameBoy magnifier. ;D

A bigger screen without additional power drain is still (20 years later) awesome in my book.

Weight isn't a problem since we and our hands will get used

>implying i didnt have a magnifier that lit up :)

On a serious note I think the treshold to buying a device, be it pyra or pandora, isnt the weight. Certainly the pandora was light enough.

I think image and preconceived notion of how to do things is something that can change. Not only the things that are wrong, but as a whole.

Ordering is too many clicks, there is an information flow thats hard to get into, and it isnt tailored to anyone. It applies to the engineering mind, and thats very good for and by whoever is within that group, but limiting as a whole.

The wiki needs a lot of work. For the pyra to be better having as much as possible being the debian way, already documented well and out of our hands, is better. Instead we could document things like history, assembly, details, howtos and guides.

Taking whats good on the pandora wiki also begins with fixing it. If you see anything documented on the forum that isnt on the wiki, at least find the corresponding wikipage and paste the link.

I'll have you all know that I'm extremely strong naturally, and I challenge you all to an arm wrestling or kickboxing match anyday, so ner :p . And yes, I can lift the Pandora.

I actually think its cool to have a little do it all device that feels a bit weighty, so i dont mind increased weight.

Besides, i barely notice the weight of the pandora.

I'll have you all know that I'm extremely strong naturally, and I challenge you all to an arm wrestling or kickboxing match anyday, so ner :p . And yes, I can lift the Pandora.
fun_cool_offbeat_weird_Mona_Lisa_the_Bodybuilder_by_califjenni3-500x749_20090729132722695.jpg

challenge_accepted.jpg

Certainly the pandora was light enough.
Maybe I'm just weak, but the Pandora isn't light compared to similiar (in terms of comparable usecases) devices. And while its ok to have the Pandora in my hands for more than 30min, it get "heavy" over time.

For me the weight is not that important when holding it in my hands, but when it's in my trouser pockets, too much weight can be annoying.

And your trousers can end up on the floor!  :unsure:

Though I barely feel the weight of my Pandora, I recently bought a new jacket which lacks a "Napoleon pocket". So I have to use the side pocket. Because the jacket itself is very light the Pandora drags down the jacket to one side! I constantly drag down the other side to keep the jacket balanced. Very annoying. Either the Pyra has to be lighter or I'll have to add a new jacket on top.

You can just get a handbag.
The difference between a pocketable device and a portable device is exactly that you don't have to bring a bag. I always wear trousers, wherever I go. I don't always wear a backpack or handbag. If I have to use a bag anyway, I can just as well carry a big tablet or laptop with it. There are lots of portable computers available already. Being a pocketable computer is one of the huge strengths of the Pandora / Pyra.

ED, if you're reading this strange thread, please try not to increase the Pyra's weight.

Honestly, I'd like the battery to remain the same capacity and leave it as the standard with an option for a larger battery for those who need the CPU to sizzle. Most should be okay with the lesser 10hr capacity cell.

It's preferable to have a lighter device overall after long periods of use. Not everyone wants a workout from holding their electronics.

Back