World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently another tranche of Android apps are spying on us and selling out location to anyone with money.

I wonder what the EU thinks about this however. It may be legal for the US government to buy information about their own citizens, but I doubt this that's so true for them buying information about Europeans.

With yesterday's news that Joe Biden has picked a running mate, FiveThirtyEight decided to make their election forecast available.

Right now, despite swearing that Biden is in a better position than Hillary was, they have Trump winning 29 times out of 100, which I believe is more than they gave him in their final forecast in 2016.

This is still my most trusted site for forecasts though, because the 20% or whatever chance they gave Trump of winning 2016 was the highest of any major site.

i meant the nazi-freak with orange hair. ;)
Ah, I tend to forget that "World Politics" usually means "American Politics". Imho the impact of American politics on a global scale as rather overestimated these days. China's decisions seem to have more impact by now.

Reactions: rSl
Meh, here in NL we have wide net searches (still with a lawyer). All phone conversations incoming/outgoing to the cellphones on the list are recorded (compressed, of course). The "metadata" where a cellphone was, call duration, cell-towers involved, numbers is always available, as older years are just in the backup. If it is data, then also involved IP addresses, etc. Sometimes even the data. Who knows if in the future, the master encryption key is leaked, and all those packets can be decrypted....

and selling out location to anyone with money.
Just capitalism, combined with huge blackbudget from 3 letter agencies. What would you do if the money is available and the data is useful?
Metadata is useful. Short calls under 10 second? Those are to coordinate. For example: "I'm in position" or Frequent. Always around the same time? "I'm leaving the office, coming home".
Calls outside normal daytime hours? Different towers? Ambulance personel.
Long calls? Way past bed time? Always the same towers? Probably a freshly dating couple, or BFF's.

Now, some apps dial home often. So they get: IPaddress, and area location. If you use wifi, and your wifi mac&label has been scanned by google streetview, then your exact location is pinpointed. But more useful: they get your application contacts, how often you have contact, etc.

Sorry dude. It's the Chinese Flu. I do not accept the dictate of a corrupt plutocracy. If you wish to submit, go for it.
... there are some hints that it's USA made... in Fort Detrick, USA Maryland. Would you settle for Fortdetrick-Usa-China-Maryland-virus (or short: F-U-C-M-virus)?

And that's why I don't own a smartphone... or better I'm not owned by smartphone.
The idea of the WWW was to get out of these company-controlled walled gardens CompuServe, AOL, Prodigy, Minitel, TG and other sold. It just was no matter what is used to process the incoming data, it was important to follow standards. It could be IE, Firefox, Opera, Mosaic, lynx, it could be a Perl script.
So with "apps" for specific services... it's just doubling the role of client applications. Why double the role of client application? Why put real money and manpower in developing of such replacements? To put something else into it, which would give additional profit.
Summing up, I securely assume all applications spy on user.

Acording to Trumps Twitter, he wants us to boycot Goodyear because they dont allow thyre Employees to wear the MAGA Hats,

this is quite funny as goodyear is a US Company, the Maga Hats are made in China, and Goodyear have some Dresscode..

Like Post, Firefighters, Police, Mc Donalds, the Army, etc..

Or do the employes on Trumps Hotels wear MAGA Hats ?? .. ^^

So much for china having dealt with this virus effectively while not suffering too much economic penalty.

FWIW, this might be better placed in the defined covid-19 thread. I searched 'ccp virus' on wikipedia and it took me to the 'misinformation about covid-19' page. I guess that's a sneaky rewording of 'china virus' designed to get past filters, but it basically means the same thing. Still better a CCP virus than a OCP virus ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back