World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDPR? It's hard to avoid. Websites are becoming broken; having to click numerous "I agree" notifications to just read a "*#@ blog post.

The principles are good in theory though.
This seems to be a new thing. The raw legal blurb is here under a bold Chapter 2 heading then a Article 13 heading, about 75% of the way down the page.

Basically it says that ISPs will be responsible for enforcing copyright agreements and the likes, which suggests they'll start having to deep inspect all of the packets going through them. A few years ago you could assume this would be beyond the capability or pretty much anyone, GCHQ included perhaps. But the bigger ISPs these days can probably afford to access some big data boxes and start doing this. It does suggest some of the smaller ISPs will go to the wall though.

Just today it was announced that the Miss America pageant will no longer have a swimsuit competition.

In other news, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'(

Er yeah, that happened yesterday. There was even a thread about it, although that was started by JDTAY and I guess more people on average might be ignoring him.
Doh, thanks. I can't even find the thread. Hate Tapatalk at the best of times, and I really need to stop using it (disclaimer: I'm using it now)

Been reading a bit more on articles 11 and 13 (link tax and download filtering). Things are getting serious...

This seems to be a new thing. The raw legal blurb is here under a bold Chapter 2 heading then a Article 13 heading, about 75% of the way down the page.

Basically it says that ISPs will be responsible for enforcing copyright agreements and the likes, which suggests they'll start having to deep inspect all of the packets going through them. A few years ago you could assume this would be beyond the capability or pretty much anyone, GCHQ included perhaps. But the bigger ISPs these days can probably afford to access some big data boxes and start doing this. It does suggest some of the smaller ISPs will go to the wall though.

This is it. Glad to see one board member got it.

Ontario elections just concluded. Allow me to sing the song of my people for this momentous occasion:
We're dead, we're dead, we're really really dead. Dead dead dead, dead dead dead! We're all going to die!

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

You'll be missed, old sport :(

Suicide sucks!!

Attachments

• images (16).jpg
    images (16).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 255
Trump gets North Korea to agree to quit their nuke program!

says the newspaper.

I expect two things will happen.

1) The trump haters will first spend the next 8 weeks swallowing their bile of hatred and fuming at the ears.

2) Sometime around 2019 the USA will bomb north korea, after they are sure they cannot strike back.

Edit: I maded another IRC picture for trolling.
0b2xe0.png

I'm already starting to enjoy the schadenfreude, because this is still the classic Kim playbook, and you just know he was crossing his fingers behind his back when he promised that. They've got most of the data they need now, and they can spend decades now working underground in the middle of a mountain on improving things before they have to do any more live tests.

The only thing missing now is for America to send them high yield uranium for their 'power stations' that they can siphon off entirely into their nuclear bomb research. That's what happened last time after all.

I'm already starting to enjoy the schadenfreude, because this is still the classic Kim playbook, and you just know he was crossing his fingers behind his back when he promised that. They've got most of the data they need now, and they can spend decades now working underground in the middle of a mountain on improving things before they have to do any more live tests.

The only thing missing now is for America to send them high yield uranium for their 'power stations' that they can siphon off entirely into their nuclear bomb research. That's what happened last time after all.

This "high yield uranium" is a term I have not encountered before. Do you mean "highly enriched uranium"?

If that's the case, can you share your source for your assertion that the USA sent it to them?

Yeah, I'm talking from a very vague memory. The yield of uranium is probably more of a concern of the miners digging the stuff up than anyone using the stuff in a reactor, I guess.

The US sent them low-enriched uranium in little stainless steel pellets for a light water reactor. In 2002 the assistant secretary for state visited stating the US had detected they had an enrichment programme, which I assume could have used LEU from the pellets as input, but maybe it's more likely they got some better stuff from China or from Pakistan. Still, it's possible they used the nuclear fuel that the US sent them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework

But they committed to denuclearisation then, and by 2002 that fell apart. I don't see why this time will be any different to be honest. Different heads of state in both the US and North Korea now of course, but I don't see Trump building many condos over there. If he's not already been distracted and lost interest I'd be very surprised.

But they committed to denuclearisation then, and by 2002 that fell apart.

Yes, it 'fell apart' because the Bush2 regime decided to not abide by the treaty agreement with North Korea.
http://original.antiwar.com/porter/...s-created-north-korea-nuclear-missile-crisis/

Gareth Porter is one of the best reporters on this and related issues. What's in a name eh? :)

[EDIT] Don't just skim the article. There's juicy stuff about the serial liar John "Walrus-Face" Bolton in there too.

Last edited:
whenever i hear people calling other people names, it always inspires me to be my best self

@klapse Forget about Freedom of speech, we lost that already. Focus on the freedom of thought.

@klapse Forget about Freedom of speech, we lost that already. Focus on the freedom of thought.

That reminds me of a song Germans sometimes like to sing - "Ich bleibe dabei, die Gedanken sind frei." (I stand by this assertion, thoughts are uncensored). That song always made me angry because thoughts are free in the most oppressive regimes in history but that sure as heck didn't help the people living there. Important truths that cannot be spread are only worth a miniscule fraction of those which can be spoken freely.

That reminds me of a song Germans sometimes like to sing - "Ich bleibe dabei, die Gedanken sind frei." (I stand by this assertion, thoughts are uncensored). That song always made me angry because thoughts are free in the most oppressive regimes in history but that sure as heck didn't help the people living there. Important truths that cannot be spread are only worth a miniscule fraction of those which can be spoken freely.
were free... were...
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...y/news-story/cbd106386c26843229e49ccedb4be218

space stuff happening here:

last night the comment zone was full of flat earthers. super annoyed by this. any ideas on how to sidebar those sorts of conversations while maintaining some sense of free flow of ideas? it seems people are becoming more scientifically illiterate. (or at least are more vocal about it.)

it's like when someone comes up to you and says that relativity means you can calculate how fast you're going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back