Woo! Gp2x On Gizmodo

yeah, some of the 3d demos like that one fps demo that ran on the gp32 looked really good, definitely n64-caliber

nik166 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 01:56 PM said:
OrR posted on Oct 29 2005 at 01:48 PM said:
An N64 emulator might not be possible but N64 graphics really should not be a problem.

i would say "playstation graphics" better, the n64 having hardware filterings ;)

mabe something like DS rendering at best :)

Just a thought, with the video chip supporting resizing, wouldn't this mean you could potentially implement at least 2xFSAA 'just' at the cost of rendering a scene at VGA res?

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't that be 4xFSAA, though?(4x the pixels). how would this work anyway?
also, playstation 3d isn't bad 3d, just what's up with all the polygon movement and stuff? it's not very solid 3d like when compared with n64's

junker posted on Oct 29 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
wouldn't that be 4xFSAA, though?(4x the pixels). how would this work anyway?
also, playstation 3d isn't bad 3d, just what's up with all the polygon movement and stuff? it's not very solid 3d like when compared with n64's

the PS1 had serious issues with clipping and texture warping that was a hardware issue and most devs were stuck with it.

for the FSAA you render the scene at the higher resolution then use the hadware filter to downscale each frame to 320x240. This has the effect of a slight blending effect that helps create non jagged looking diagonal lines. The lower the resolution you use for this effect, the heavier the blurring is which is why 4xFSAA looks better than the N64's FSAA (which was 2x iirc)

Jarska333 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 02:07 PM said:
If someone were to make a port of Mario64, it could run well on GP32. It might not have the snazzy filters and shit, but whatever the game would have looked like, had it not had hw-filters, GP32 could pull off. In my opinion, and none of you can actually prove me wrong... :p

of course it runs well, because it's running well on nintendo DS :p

abigsmurf posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:03 PM said:
the PS1 had serious issues with clipping and texture warping that was a hardware issue and most devs were stuck with it.

yeah , the beautiful playstation's "jelly effect" with the textures moving on the polygons (especially when close to the camera, great for racing games :p ) , many peoples seem to have forgot it :D

junker posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:13 AM said:
yeah, some of the 3d demos like that one fps demo that ran on the gp32 looked really good, definitely n64-caliber

GIVE ME THESE DEMOS! Please?

Jarska333 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 02:07 PM said:
If someone were to make a port of Mario64, it could run well on GP32. It might not have the snazzy filters and shit, but whatever the game would have looked like, had it not had hw-filters, GP32 could pull off. In my opinion, and none of you can actually prove me wrong... :p

The N64 had more than a few filters. It had floating point math, z-buffer, perspective correct textures as well. The GP32 has no floating point or any of the other hardware 3D support.

So even if the GP32 ignored the filters it still couldn't pull off N64 quality. It could do closer to PSX. The warping textures and clipping problems of the PSX are due to the lack of floating point, z-buffer, and perspective correction.

ah, so it was texture warping that made ps1 3d not solid, eh? yeah, i remember texture's moving around a lot when i played those games, along with all the poly clipping.

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:45 PM said:
junker posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:13 AM said:

GIVE ME THESE DEMOS! Please?

this is the impressive demo i was talking about, the yeti3d one http://www.angelsoftware.org/index.php?200...d---pro-version

DaveC posted on Oct 29 2005 at 06:54 PM said:
The N64 had more than a few filters. It had floating point math, z-buffer, perspective correct textures as well. The GP32 has no floating point or any of the other hardware 3D support.

So even if the GP32 ignored the filters it still couldn't pull off N64 quality. It could do closer to PSX. The warping textures and clipping problems of the PSX are due to the lack of floating point, z-buffer, and perspective correction.

Burden of proof is on you. :p

Back