\" Connection Wireless On Gp2x F200 \"

I have a wireless USB adapter for SMC Barricade Router.... i was thinking to put the USB adapter on GP2X-F200... and have internet... but i don't know how? it works?

Happy New Year 2008!!

3 days and GP2X in da House!!

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

P.S: sorry for my bad english...

RetroGamerPT said:
I have a wireless USB adapter for SMC Barricade Router.... i was thinking to put the USB adapter on GP2X-F200... and have internet... but i don't know how? it works?

Happy New Year 2008!!

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

Your English is fine! dont worry!
The best place to check first is the wiki to see if your USB wireless dongle is compatible with the drivers fro the firmware.

I presume you want mobile internet? If so you are looking to rig up some hardware.
Check the WIki for the pinout for the EXT port. You need to connect the D+ and D- to a USB female socket and the voltage needs to be 5v @ 100mA this will need to be hooked into the +ve and -ve connectors on the USB Female socket so another battery pack is required.

Once you have done this, enable USB host mode in your settings menu on the GP2x and bobs your uncle.

Your easy option is the breakout board. Install the wireless stuff from the archive, Enable USB host, whack your gp2x onto it with a power supply then plug your dongle onto it.

You will need to check the wiki about your dongle (either way) to make sure it is compatible.

Hope that makes sense....I'm sure someone will give you the links

Last edited by a moderator:
Typhoon22 said:
RetroGamerPT said:

Happy New Year 2008!!

Best Regards,
RetroGamerPT

Your English is fine! dont worry!
The best place to check first is the wiki to see if your USB wireless dongle is compatible with the drivers fro the firmware.

I presume you want mobile internet? If so you are looking to rig up some hardware.
Check the WIki for the pinout for the EXT port. You need to connect the D+ and D- to a USB female socket and the voltage needs to be 5v @ 100mA this will need to be hooked into the +ve and -ve connectors on the USB Female socket so another battery pack is required.

Once you have done this, enable USB host mode in your settings menu on the GP2x and bobs your uncle.

Your easy option is the breakout board. Install the wireless stuff from the archive, Enable USB host, whack your gp2x onto it with a power supply then plug your dongle onto it.

You will need to check the wiki about your dongle (either way) to make sure it is compatible.

Hope that makes sense....I'm sure someone will give you the links

LOL i put "sorry for my bad english" on all of my posts to prevent... you know... (or not..)
... i don't want mobile internet... i want to conect my gp2x on any hotspot....

but tks anyway... and happy 2008!! :)

LOL i put "sorry for my bad english" on all of my posts to prevent... you know... (or not..)

mobile internet to me at least = wifi at any hot spot. Anyway. I hardware is not small, not very portable. I'm trying to create a small box that will house everything and connect it to my gp2x to make it look "pro". Anyways, Your going to also need a browser if Im not mistaken..... Qtopia or GPE to be exact... dont know about any others...

ZeroDayATK said:

mobile internet to me at least = wifi at any hot spot. Anyway. I hardware is not small, not very portable. I'm trying to create a small box that will house everything and connect it to my gp2x to make it look "pro". Anyways, Your going to also need a browser if Im not mistaken..... Qtopia or GPE to be exact... dont know about any others...

That would rock! why not something that could clip onto the battery bay instead of the plastic door and "wraps around" to the EXT port? you could house the USB adapter and the extra 4 batteries there - bonus as it could double as a stand...
Would end up being rather heavy though for hand held use though?

Typhoon22 said:
ZeroDayATK said:

That would rock! why not something that could clip onto the battery bay instead of the plastic door and "wraps around" to the EXT port? you could house the USB adapter and the extra 4 batteries there - bonus as it could double as a stand...

Nahh, Its most likely going to looks something like this http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...;nplm=MB053LL/A

so you can set it on the table or next to you or in your lap and still have the lightness/ semi mobility of the Small form Factor of the gp2x....

ZeroDayATK said:
Typhoon22 said:
ZeroDayATK said:

Nahh, Its most likely going to looks something like this http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...;nplm=MB053LL/A

so you can set it on the table or next to you or in your lap and still have the lightness/ semi mobility of the Small form Factor of the gp2x....

That would be fairly easy to do as a separate unit - its just the plastic moulding, unless there are suitable sized plasic boxes of a suitable size.

It only needs to be the same size as a (.....looks around desk...) tobacco tin. plenty of room for batts and cables and the usb stick.....I might do this myself, just got to get a plug for the ext port. Maybe fit a sprung reel for the EXT cable itself, make it retractable - everything else is internal to the unit.

Typhoon22 said:
ZeroDayATK said:
Typhoon22 said:
ZeroDayATK said:

That would be fairly easy to do as a separate unit - its just the plastic moulding, unless there are suitable sized plasic boxes of a suitable size.

It only needs to be the same size as a (.....looks around desk...) tobacco tin. plenty of room for batts and cables and the usb stick.....I might do this myself, just got to get a plug for the ext port. Maybe fit a sprung reel for the EXT cable itself, make it retractable - everything else is internal to the unit.

Yeah, I'm actually going as far as a custom PCB :D... Me and my Design Partner are actually thinking of just leaving a female usb port on the box and then a person can just plug the USB -> EXT connector in...

ZeroDayATK said:
Yeah, I'm actually going as far as a custom PCB :D... Me and my Design Partner are actually thinking of just leaving a female usb port on the box and then a person can just plug the USB -> EXT connector in...
Sweet! I was just going to use some of that copper board stuff (whatever its called) just to keep it tidy, I've got myself a fishing tackle box, so I can open it and replace the batteries as required. I am going to use 4x rechargeable 2500mah, same as the ones I use for the gp2x. Rechargeables are 1.2 volt, which should give me 4.8v so hopefully the lack of .7v won't cause too much of a problem?
Can I ask where you are going to get the EXT plug from? Or do you know if the tv out cable thats available has all the pins in?

Typhoon22 said:
ZeroDayATK said:
Sweet! I was just going to use some of that copper board stuff (whatever its called) just to keep it tidy, I've got myself a fishing tackle box, so I can open it and replace the batteries as required. I am going to use 4x rechargeable 2500mah, same as the ones I use for the gp2x. Rechargeables are 1.2 volt, which should give me 4.8v so hopefully the lack of .7v won't cause too much of a problem?
Can I ask where you are going to get the EXT plug from? Or do you know if the tv out cable thats available has all the pins in?

^^ About the Lack of .7v.. you should by a Dc/Dc converter that will regulate the voltage. Look into a "buck/boost" to stablize the voltage at 5v.

Funny story about the EXT, I ordered one on Ebay, Still hasn't arrived, But in Class the other day I was talking to my Computer Science Teacher and He was looking at The GP2x and he was like, "what are the odds of this wire in my desk from a cell phone being the right one?" Low and behold, Fits PERFECT NO PROBLEM or Shaving! But to connect it to the hub for now, We are going to buy/ make a Female to female USB plug.

Back