Atari 800 On Gp2x!?!?!?!?

whiskthecat

whiskthecat
Website
pigliver.blogsite.org
Foft has released the worlds first Atari 800 emulator for the GP2X, this release uses SDL and is really a quick port but it works good enough to play. You can view his site here.

The proper version will be HH. For now there is an almost complete Linux SDL version. It runs under SDL on my PC, but I'm not sure if it works on the GP2X. I was about to finish debugging it on the GP2X and killed my GP2X through utter stupidity! I copied over libc6.so.1 thinking it wasn't used. I should have checked. I also should have known, been using Linux since libc5 days. Anyway here is the untested binary/source.

Now works, mostly (link updated). Sound is delayed and a bit rubbish. Let me know of other bugs. This is still a pre-release, but have fun!

Btw sorry for the double posts, but I didn't want to wait for the mods to check over it in the news section.

Alternate Reality:The City and The Dungeon: YOU SHALL LIVE AGAIN, IN PORTABLE FORM!

i had an alternate reality game for my amiga, i remember playing it! tooo bad alot of my discs are crapping out, duplicate floppies (arr im an oldskool pirate arr) are NOT intended to last 20 years lol

Hope this dosent sidetrack TOO badly:

The Amiga and even the excellent C-64 ports of Alternate Reality: The City and The Dungeon (Amiga version of The Dungeon was about 80% done before being axed) were originally (and best played) on the Atari 8-bit line.

This ment-to-be interlocking series of 7 RPGs were so far over-reaching the scope of the abilities of computers at the time that it was never going to be possible, and what they did manage to pull of with 8-bit CPUs and 48-64kb of RAM was stunning: full 3-D enviroments with a living, breathing environment full of shops, taverns, citizens good, evil and neutral, guilds tanatalizing you with their offerings on the City level, finally allowing you to join once you discovered the enterance to (and bought the next part of the series) The Dungeon....

I could go on and on, but the haunting music and lyrics, varied environments, atmosphere and detailed combat systems have to be experienced to be understood.

Anyone who is into 'real' RPGs where YOU make the role and follow your own path instead of following someone elses story should fire up the nearest Atari 8-bit emu and have a go. You won't be sorry.

A good basic rundown can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_Reality

A good plot summary (and thought provoking comparison to The Matrix) is here:
http://www.marktaw.com/reviews/AlternateRe...yTheVideoG.html

Back