Is Gp2X Wiz The Final Seal For The Gp2X Model Series?

I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious but, why does everyone seem to hate GPH so much? I know the WiZ isn't perfect but I think it's a damn fine little open device in a world dominated by closed hardware controlled by companies that do everything they can to make sure you can run only what they want you to run.
Again, I don't know very much about GPH but I do know that they release several open devices and let you do with them as you see fit :).

Here in the Netherlands we have a special proverb for the Wiz: "Goedkoop is duurkoop". It means that something that is cheap can actually be very expensive because its crap.

I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious but, why does everyone seem to hate GPH so much?

From what I have heard its that GPH doesnt listen to the community and just makes consoles with crappy dpads and buttons

Mithrildor said:
I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious but, why does everyone seem to hate GPH so much?
GPH doesnt listen to the community and just makes consoles with crappy dpads and buttons
I fail to see how the WiZ doesn't have a good D-pad or buttons. I'll admit they aren't like typical buttons as far as them being in a "d-shape" goes but they work perfectly, for me at least.
I can maybe understand with some of the other GPXX units as they looked like the D-pad was questionable but I find the WiZ controls are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaephen said:
I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious but, why does everyone seem to hate GPH so much? I know the WiZ isn't perfect but I think it's a damn fine little open device in a world dominated by closed hardware controlled by companies that do everything they can to make sure you can run only what they want you to run.
Again, I don't know very much about GPH but I do know that they release several open devices and let you do with them as you see fit :) .
There´s a simple and plain explanation, they are now in console bussines so GPH is now a rival. They need to put down their comercial enemy. The trolling is inevitable.

Pandora: some girl who (according to the oil paintings) likes to get naked.
Wiz: another word for piss. (usage: "Im just taking a Wiz")

I hope that clarifys things.

craigix said:
It's war!

Will I am going to be honest, I am a GP2X fan series. Regardless of other people's opinion, so if it is a "war". I want the gp2x series to be the winner!!

foody said:
craigix said:
It's war!

Will I am going to be honest, I am a GP2X fan series. Regardless of other people's opinion, so if it is a "war". I want the gp2x series to be the winner!!

All we need is: Just Chill and play "vodka-station" and "beer-boy advance". And remember .. believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love..

One_way_Tape_Nails_Jesus_Cross_Bible_Religious_Christian_T-Shirt.png

Attachments

• One_way_Tape_Nails_Jesus_Cross_Bible_Religious_Christian_T-Shirt.png
    One_way_Tape_Nails_Jesus_Cross_Bible_Religious_Christian_T-Shirt.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 130
Mithrildor said:
Here in the Netherlands we have a special proverb for the Wiz: "Goedkoop is duurkoop". It means that something that is cheap can actually be very expensive because its crap.

From what I have heard its that GPH doesnt listen to the community and just makes consoles with crappy dpads and buttons

But you have not experienced. End of story.

They listened. That is why you have a Dpad and separate action buttons. And a high quality OLED screen, better speakers, a smaller device, better build quality, faster hardware, etcetera.

Mithrildor said:
Compare it to the Pandora's Dpad or other great dpads. It really sucks and It feels like cheap plastic

Only very few people can argue about the Pandora's Dpad. End of story.

The Dpad of the GP2X Wiz CAN be experienced, and you can even pull off combos in fighting games. Works just fine, I really don't see a problem. The GPH bashing is just completely ridiculous. It's like making fun of your mom, because that is why you are here on these forums. Have a little respect.

Sugar_Kane said:
I wonder what wacky quirks GPH will introduce in their next handheld

This sums up exactly why I don't have a Wiz.

Back at the turn of the century, the GP32 was an amazing little device. There was nothing like it, anywhere else. It was pretty well built, and the company that made it understood what they had made. A handheld emulation device (as my mate put it) with an easy-access system which meant that anyone even reasonably proficient in coding could write homebrew for it. I have one, and I love it.

Gamepark split shortly after, and became two separate companies. Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings. Gamepark retained all the design and manufacturing talent, and the marketing all went to Gamepark Holdings. Unfortunately Gamepark went under before their successor to the GP32 (the XGP) came to fruition, and Gamepark Holdings developed the GP2X. The rest is history, unfortunately for us. The design looked great in the photos/renders, but when it came to usability, the GP2X really did suck enormous donkey's testicles. Even so, quite a lot of people bought one.

Then the Wiz was announced, and it was a disaster in the making. The forum screamed at the tops of their voices - the DPad style face buttons were wrong - and GPH ignored them. IIRC it was (almost) entirely down to EvilDragon's negotiations that got that particular bugbear fixed. Still, GPH don't listen or even care about their customers. Where is the wifi dongle? Where are the coding competitions? Where are the enormous amounts of commercial software? Why is the USB system stripped down to the point of almost uselessness for coders? Where is the docking station? All these things were promised, and have yet to come to fruition. And there's a new model in the works... So much for support then.

The screen is lovely, I'll admit. Best I've seen. Shame they had to cut corners with substandard parts though - it's a mobile phone screen rotated through 90 degrees, so we've suffered awful tearing - and GPH only released a solution long after forum devs had determined ways around it. And the pixel plague? You can't say that's just bad luck - not with so many people finding their displays disintegrating before their eyes. I mean, did GPH do any testing? at all? They can't have done, not with the decisions they made. They just took off-the-shelf parts, slapped them into an off-the-shelf design, and pumped them out to all and sundry.

I'd love to see comparisons of sales figures for the GP32/GP2X and Wiz side by side, I really would.

I bought the GP32, loved it. Bought the GP2X, and wanted to love it, but couldn't in the end. There's no way I'm putting my money into GPH with their track record.

D.

foody said:
craigix said:
It's war!

Same here!
I have to say when I discovered the Pandora randomly browsing the internet, I feel in love with it. Such a beautiful device. I read all about it and decided I had to have one. Then I found out it hadn't been released and was in a bit of development hell. Then I discovered the WiZ and decided to purchase it and wait for the Pandora. I'm so glad I got a WiZ, love it! Then I found this site... ... which has basically turned me against the Pandora altogether :(.

Wootson said:
Mithrildor said:

They listened. That is why you have a Dpad and separate action buttons. And a high quality OLED screen, better speakers, a smaller device, better build quality, faster hardware, etcetera.

Mithrildor said:
Compare it to the Pandora's Dpad or other great dpads. It really sucks and It feels like cheap plastic

The Dpad of the GP2X Wiz CAN be experienced, and you can even pull off combos in fighting games. Works just fine, I really don't see a problem. The GPH bashing is just completely ridiculous. It's like making fun of your mom, because that is why you are here on these forums. Have a little respect.
Amen!

Buy both machines.Love both.Was gonna buy a wiz until I heard about the terrible screen tearing.I ordered a pandora
instead.Oh well

Mithrildor said:

I think it seems odd that you're making a comparison to Pandora's D-Pad when very few people have actually used it. I'm not saying it's not good, but just sayin...

Even if it is decent, wouldn't another reference make sense? Like the Sega Saturn d-pad?

TylerAW said:
christo930 said:
TylerAW said:
I know the Pandora looks like a net book, but it's much more than that. True it promotes many non game features but what game console doesn't these days? Hell even the Wii has Netflix streaming now. The Pandora to me screams future development that can last well over 5 years in both emulation and homebrew as well as non gaming software :)
The problem is, the phones now do that kind of stuff far better than the pandora could ever hope to do it. My ipod touch puts most of what I would want from the internet on the go, in the palm of my hand, perfectly (well, almost perfectly). The Pandora is and needs to be, first, last and only a game machine. In many ways, it's better than what the other hand held game machines, but it doesn't appear to even come close to a portable internet machine.
Do what better? Sure the Pandora is not a phone but I have a phone and have no intention of changing it due to it's battery life of 15 hours. The Pandora will eventually Support Flash unlike you're iPod Touch. Pandora is also not held in the cluthces of Apple and it's control. If the web browser really works on the Pandora and supports Flash, Java and HTML4+ than how is it not a portable internet machine?

The ipod touch does have some flash support, because it plays youtube videos. But the bigger thing is that the apps wrap up data in a way that works really well on such a small and portable platform. The Pandora is never going to get the apps that ipod has, pandora custom radio for example. Then there are all the local apps that will certainly never appear. I have an app for every local channel for news and what not.

christo930 said:
TylerAW said:
christo930 said:
TylerAW said:
I know the Pandora looks like a net book, but it's much more than that. True it promotes many non game features but what game console doesn't these days? Hell even the Wii has Netflix streaming now. The Pandora to me screams future development that can last well over 5 years in both emulation and homebrew as well as non gaming software :)
The problem is, the phones now do that kind of stuff far better than the pandora could ever hope to do it. My ipod touch puts most of what I would want from the internet on the go, in the palm of my hand, perfectly (well, almost perfectly). The Pandora is and needs to be, first, last and only a game machine. In many ways, it's better than what the other hand held game machines, but it doesn't appear to even come close to a portable internet machine.
Do what better? Sure the Pandora is not a phone but I have a phone and have no intention of changing it due to it's battery life of 15 hours. The Pandora will eventually Support Flash unlike you're iPod Touch. Pandora is also not held in the cluthces of Apple and it's control. If the web browser really works on the Pandora and supports Flash, Java and HTML4+ than how is it not a portable internet machine?

The ipod touch does have some flash support, because it plays youtube videos. But the bigger thing is that the apps wrap up data in a way that works really well on such a small and portable platform. The Pandora is never going to get the apps that ipod has, pandora custom radio for example. Then there are all the local apps that will certainly never appear. I have an app for every local channel for news and what not.
Youtube plays on the iPhone OS by grabbing the MP4 file uploaded to Youtube and loading it on iPhone OS, it does not utilize any form of Flash to do this its sort of cheating Flash I guess you could say but nobody seems to notice. As for you're apps for News I think I prefer the Internet :)

Zaephen said:
foody said:
craigix said:
It's war!

Same here!
I have to say when I discovered the Pandora randomly browsing the internet, I feel in love with it. Such a beautiful device. I read all about it and decided I had to have one. Then I found out it hadn't been released and was in a bit of development hell. Then I discovered the WiZ and decided to purchase it and wait for the Pandora. I'm so glad I got a WiZ, love it! Then I found this site... ... which has basically turned me against the Pandora altogether :( .

Wootson said:
Mithrildor said:

Mithrildor said:

Amen!

Jeez... lighten up guys. I make fun of my relatives all the time... where's the harm?

The way I see it, there isn't any *real* grievances with the GPH or the Wiz. The main complaint with the Wiz, is simply that it doesn't quite live up to the sequel to gp32 machine the folk here wished for.
I own one, i *use* it, i *like* it. But it doesn't inspire me enough to write code for it. If it had been everything that people really wanted, the Pandora project wouldn't exist. GPH are no doubt paying the price in lost revenue, they don't need 'punished' further, and no-one is trying to do that. They are not the bad guys. They arn't evil, they dont eat babies. Not like... i dunno... microsoft. But where's the harm in a few quips? No-one is going to war. Europe is not going to bomb S. Korea (unless the pandora project gets some extra funds?). Its just a bit of fun.

Back