Wiz Emus - Amiga, Nes, Mame And C64 Questions

vaughan80

Still Fresh
Very sorry about flooding the forum, but I need some help here. ANY help would be appreciated, i'm not a total noob, i do have some emu experience...

Got my wiz yesterday, mame, picodrive and pocketsnes are working flawlessly (minus some roms, which i think are screwed).

With MAME, I just cannot get Metal slug (any of them) to work. I have downloaded the neo geo rom but still no luck. Is this a reported problem or do my rom files sound dodgy? I have also downloaded some roms and put them on my SD card, but they don't appear in the list...

I have nes emu - when I open it and click on load rom, nothing appears - any ideas?

My amiga emulator uae4all just will not work. It says i need the kickstart disks. I have put them in the kickstart folder, but it still does not work.

Finally, I have the c64 emu, vice. I can see my roms, but they wont load. The interface is a bit confusing on this one... Can anyone explain what i need to do?

When you download Neo-Geo roms - in the ZIP there are files which represent audio and images. you do NOT need to unzip these into the roms folder. Just put the zip into the rom folder. Also, roms from different sources can have different names for these files inside, that's why mame doesn't see them - it simply expects something else to be there. Currently MAME does not support Metal Slugs 2 3 4 and 5. To play the metal slug series - search the forum, I have posted a solution to the problem.
To play Neo-Geo games you would probably want to use GnGeo, not MAME, since it supports graphics dumps, Mame doesn't.

Which emu of NES are you using? You would want to use GPFCE

Also, which firmware are you using? Can't help with the computer emulators - haven't tried them myself.

I got my WIZ too and playing a lot with Uae4All, it works very good. Try to rename your kickstart files, it should be "kick13.rom" (lowercase and unpacked). All adf images should be unpacked, Uae4All doesn't support zipped files.

madtwinz said:
I got my WIZ too and playing a lot with Uae4All, it works very good. Try to rename your kickstart files, it should be "kick13.rom" (lowercase and unpacked). All adf images should be unpacked, Uae4All doesn't support zipped files.

hm did you try r-type? thats was my favourite game on the amiga 500, it doesnt run that fast (partly unplayable). what games are u playing then?

Last edited by a moderator:
madtwinz said:

UAE4All supports 'GZip' compression, so you can zip your ADFs with the tool 'GZip' obviously (drag & drop).

liveevil said:
madtwinz said:

UAE4All supports 'GZip' compression, so you can zip your ADFs with the tool 'GZip' obviously (drag & drop).

That's great, thanks for pointing this out.

for the C64 games you need to "run the image" - then select the game you want - then it runs (can't think of the actual wording but it's the top option).

it's great, so much better than the GP2X (so far) I found games that wouldn't work before are now working...ballblazer is interesting...works better but is still really slow, I wonder why?

For those using UAE4All, when certain games don't load try using the kickstart 3.1 rom. That worked for quite a few games. Just name it kick31 and put it where the other kickstart rom is. There's an option in the menu to pick which kickstart you want to use. Also don't forget to overclock! Have fun! :)

OK...

Just renamed the kickstart roms and the emu does run now, however, when I load a game I get the image of the amiga workbench disk. I have tried changing the versions to the one specified on the image but it just hangs there. Tried it with a few games.. all unpacked. I heard they are slow to load but I had one on for 15 min and it still didn't work!! - I read on the UAE4all wiki that the kickstart needs to be the 1.3 overdumped 512k version... where on earth can I get this from??

With MAME roms that don't show. - What do you mean exactly? Are the files inside the zip not recognised by the emulator as it is expecting them to be called something else? If this is the case, is there a site where they can be downloaded from that is... trustworthy?

I downloaded GnGeo and put metal slug inside, just to try it and it doesn't pick it up. Instead I get an error stating that the bios.rom is missing...

C64 still continues to be a problem. None of the roms load. I find them in the list, the emu states they are loading, but nothing happens.

Anyone?!??? Please help, i really don't want to be left in the dark here!

crow_riot said:
madtwinz said:

hm did you try r-type? thats was my favourite game on the amiga 500, it doesnt run that fast (partly unplayable). what games are u playing then?

I just checked R-Type and R-Type II (on firmware 1.1.0) and in my opinion they are perfectly playable with sound (overclocked to 700Mhz), although R-Type II runs best with sound at 800Mhz. I noticed that R-Type II has a problem with keyboard/joystick control enabled which indeed causes that it's unplayable (slowdowns while shooting), but with only joystick enabled game runs fine.

vaughan80 said:
OK...

Just renamed the kickstart roms and the emu does run now, however, when I load a game I get the image of the amiga workbench disk. I have tried changing the versions to the one specified on the image but it just hangs there. Tried it with a few games.. all unpacked. I heard they are slow to load but I had one on for 15 min and it still didn't work!! - I read on the UAE4all wiki that the kickstart needs to be the 1.3 overdumped 512k version... where on earth can I get this from??

Which game exactly? I had problems with few games too, some games just won't run on this Uae4All version and some will run but using different version (search for other scene releases) or kickstart.

With MAME roms that don't show. - What do you mean exactly? Are the files inside the zip not recognised by the emulator as it is expecting them to be called something else? If this is the case, is there a site where they can be downloaded from that is... trustworthy?

I downloaded GnGeo and put metal slug inside, just to try it and it doesn't pick it up. Instead I get an error stating that the bios.rom is missing...

We can't post here links to bios images or roms. Use google, there's plenty of sources. I had the same problem with GBA bios for gpSP, downloaded about six of them from different sources and finally one was the proper one.

I think that Frodo is the best c64 emulator for Wiz. If you don´t have it give it a try, the sound is much better, that´s for sure, but i don´t know if it´s more compatible.

Sorry for my disappointing english.

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate this. I just want to get it working.

Your english is fine raindog! Thank you for that, i will give it a try...

Amiga rom - I was trying to use Exile, James Pond 2 and Shadow of the beast 2. When you unzip the files and choose the rom in the uae list, I get a display of every single file inside the folder, which one do I choose? I have in all cases chosen the disk 1 run, or "install" is this the right one?

Any ideas on my problems with my neogeo emu?

vaughan80 said:
Amiga rom - I was trying to use Exile, James Pond 2 and Shadow of the beast 2. When you unzip the files and choose the rom in the uae list, I get a display of every single file inside the folder, which one do I choose? I have in all cases chosen the disk 1 run, or "install" is this the right one?

Maybe you have HD disk installation versions? My Shadow of the Beast 2 is on 3 disks with trainer [1/2/3(boot)].
I've tested these games today (on kickstart 1.3).

Exile - while loading Exile there's a black screen for quite a while and I had to use mouse to click both mouse buttons (L+R) and the game started. Runs fine.

James Pond 2 - works without problems

Shadow of the Beast 2 - couldn't play it, it seems that this game hangs after intro. Maybe my version is corrupted or something because I got Guru meditation screen :lol: Will try later with other game release and kickstart 2.0/3.1

Any ideas on my problems with my neogeo emu?

You have wrong bios image. I have the same problem, but didn't have time to search for proper one.

madtwinz said:
crow_riot said:
madtwinz said:

I just checked R-Type and R-Type II (on firmware 1.1.0) and in my opinion they are perfectly playable with sound (overclocked to 700Mhz), although R-Type II runs best with sound at 800Mhz. I noticed that R-Type II has a problem with keyboard/joystick control enabled which indeed causes that it's unplayable (slowdowns while shooting), but with only joystick enabled game runs fine.

thanks for testing! i definitely will give it a try again :)

You know, it seems to me the easiest thing to do is for someone (I don't mind being that someone) to make a 'default setup' that has all the emus working and is simply set out so people can easily see what to do.

Then stick that 'image' on a disk and offer if for a nominal fee (say £1) to cover disk and postage costs.

How does that sound? Maybe we should have a sticky so any newbies can go straight there - order a disk and then tinker to their hearts content in the knowledge they have a good source to go back to.

I would so pay for that. I know this is dodgy territory, but if it also included a notepad doc of where to get roms (or roms themselves) that would also be amazing. I have used numerous sites through google searches and in the main they don't work.
I remember the days of a very very good mame site, which got closed down in about 2001. Shame.

Thing is, its frustrating because I have used emus on pc and mac for years and had no trouble.

Its either dodgy roms or me just being an idiot.

Amiga still evades me. What do I do if a game has multiple disks? Is there a way of combining them into one image, or once you have completed one disk do you just load it up?? Bit confused over this one.

vaughan80 said:
I would so pay for that. I know this is dodgy territory, but if it also included a notepad doc of where to get roms (or roms themselves) that would also be amazing. I have used numerous sites through google searches and in the main they don't work.
I remember the days of a very very good mame site, which got closed down in about 2001. Shame.

Thing is, its frustrating because I have used emus on pc and mac for years and had no trouble.

Its either dodgy roms or me just being an idiot.

Amiga still evades me. What do I do if a game has multiple disks? Is there a way of combining them into one image, or once you have completed one disk do you just load it up?? Bit confused over this one.

When the game asks for another disk you just go to emu options, change the adf image, then go back to game...

awesome!!
got my amiga roms working (some of them)

Same with Neo geo - trying metal slug 1,2,3 and x and all works flawlessly except - NO sound. Anyone??

I've always thought it'd be good to have SD card images that are pre-configured and ready to go .. anyone wanna do that? (Minus the ROMS of course..) A big fat monster-image just for the Wiz would be awesome ..

Back