Wireframe magazine

"Games burned to CD will play in most models of unmodified Dreamcast, usually with no extra software required. While this doesn’t result in a huge market – the customer base for new Dreamcast games is difficult to measure but certainly small – it makes development for original hardware far more viable than the need for often expensive and difficult to install modchips needed for other systems."

nice.

Yeah, the DC was one of the first systems to be hacked (that needed to be hacked, so ignoring things like the SNES and previous). I'm not sure the article's completely right that dreamcast emulation isn't so common; RetroArch has a couple of different engines that can run dreamcast games directly on your Pi. I guess these days it's not such a challenge to run then on your PC so perhaps they're not in the news so much compared to PS2 emulation and the likes.

I'm slightly surprised that commercial wii homebrew hasn't taken off in a similar way. The Wii is just as arcade-inspired as the Dreamcast/Naomi was, with the Triforce arcade system being the arcade version of the Wii. But I've not heard of anyone burning discs for the system. That's slightly surprising because they can rip commercial games driving the hardware using homebrew, but I guess the key part of mounting the disc just never got cracked.

Yes, I run my copied GC isos on my softmodded Wii. Later edition Wiis don't have the joystick ports, and won't load the mini discs, but my early edition works fine.

The Wii is basically an overpowered Gamecube with slightly better video out options. I made a mistake in my post above; the Triforce board was the arcade version of the Gamecube; I'm not sure if any arcade games were made using the faster clocked Wii chipset; the Triforce was a three way release from Nintendo, Sega and Namco, and after it Sega went x64, and Namco went Emotion Engine (PS3 type, I think) based until they too went x64.

SoulCalibur 2 was a Namco single production, so ran on their hardware; one of their emotion engine based systems which I think is closest to a PS2. But Mario Kart Arcade GP was a triforce game, and can be run under dolphin on your PC apparently.

Back