Windows 95 Runs On N900 Via Dosbox

Star Craft can run on slower systems. But the is slower in this case. A friend told me that he has played 1 hour on the Terrain Mission where you have to survive 30 minutes. I think it's ok, maybe some tweaks can be done to let dosbox / windows 95 run faster^^

bustaballs said:
craigix said:
Are there really *that* many games which were windows only? Surely almost every game exists on another easier to emulate format, ie PSX, Amiga, Arcade, ST, N64, GBA?

We should try to start a list of alternative versions.

I just looked through the entire mobygames list and didn't see much worth having that wasn't already available for another system. If people just really like Windows 95 then I guess this is for them because it's not in the best interest of gamers. It might be something fun to show off to people though.

Edit: Wait, I just got it. All of those bazillion Win95 hentai games. Portable Nocturnal Illusion or True Love would make laugh.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith were good games. An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire, Redguard. I'm sure there are more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Emulator would probably struggle to run Win95 alone.
Would it even play games properly?

Wow, people are really unrealistic positive towards the Pandora. It's a beast sure but emulate x86 processor, run windows95 AND do something useful with it? Wake up now

r00tw00t said:
Wow, people are really unrealistic positive towards the Pandora. It's a beast sure but emulate x86 processor, run windows95 AND do something useful with it? Wake up now

I reckon it should be able to play Crysis emulated. It'll handle that no problems at all.

I tried this once, however, Win95 stopped during installation at some time (forgot when).
Didn't mess around with this anymore then, was just for fun ;)

However, I do remember some special parameters had to be used to install Win95 on a PSP, too... I just didn't care to look them up :)

But yes, it should work. Boot time methinks... 4 minutes maybe?

Are people really questioning the point of putting or emulating windows on Pandora? With all the ports of game consoles and different types of computers and calulators out there, the line of why is it worth it is magically drawn at windows huh? Sounds pretty closed minded to me.

I grew up to windows and dos, it's the first OS I learnt and what got me into computers. And I'd like to see it just for the nastalga factor. The ports of some of the windows/dos only games on other consoles are sometimes severely crippled. If it can be done, it probably will be at some point. I don't personally like arcade games so I doubt I'll be useing mame, but I don't go around saying I don't see the point.

jb0yx said:
The ports of some of the windows/dos only games on other consoles are sometimes severely crippled.

Same could be said for some of the Amiga<>PC ports, Especially in the sound department, And mainly in DOS, Before the IBM/Compatibles had a global compatible sound-card standard. It was mainly PC bleeper sound only, Verse the Amiga`s 4 channel 8bit audio.

Trooper

craigix said:
Are there really *that* many games which were windows only? Surely almost every game exists on another easier to emulate format, ie PSX, Amiga, Arcade, ST, N64, GBA?

But people who own the Windows version may not own versions for other platforms.

well, my psp can run windows 95 and Ive seen iPhones do it too. but it runs sooo bad, the only thing you can run is notepad and clock and stuff but even that takes like 10 minutes to start up.

The question is can Pandora run it well and can we get drivers on this emulator so we can run classic PC games like Starcraft. That would be so kickass.
I cant tell you how much i want to run starcraft on a touchscreen portable device.

Nice... finally we can play Hover and watch the Weezer-Musicclip from the Win95-CD :D

Monk said:
craigix said:

But people who own the Windows version may not own versions for other platforms.

Literally a few pennies on ebay can solve that. I can't believe how cheap classic games are now.

craigix said:
Literally a few pennies on ebay can solve that. I can't believe how cheap classic games are now.

Yeah, they distract everyone with expensive, crappy new games whilst selling us classic awesomeness at ridiculously low prices. I've got games I never knew I had, which I picked up just because they were so cheap.

Now FTPing win96.img from my laptop onto my N900, I'm willing to bet it'll take longer to boot than it has to find, download, extract and FTP said image. We'll see.

I certainly have no illusions about it doing anything useful, but I'll get geeky cool points for showing off Windows 95 booting on my phone.

craigix said:
Monk said:
craigix said:

I don't know why I didn't think of that, given that it's not THAT long sinc eI was doing exactly that to get some of my old games that I couldn't find (I hate when stuff goes missing). Doh!

Hmm... was X-Wing, TIE Fighter, or XvT ever released for other platforms? I'm pretty sure Dark Forces was, don't know about Jedi Knight... yeah, I think some kind of "best games for cross-platform emulating avoding Windowze" could be an interesting list.

jb0yx said:
Are people really questioning the point of putting or emulating windows on Pandora? With all the ports of game consoles and different types of computers and calulators out there, the line of why is it worth it is magically drawn at windows huh? Sounds pretty closed minded to me.

Probably for the same reason they put a line under Gamecube or PS2 emulation: The system's not powerful enough to do anything *useful* with it.

I'm sure some talented individual could spend weeks porting/coding a PS2 emulator just to have it run at less than 1fps. But what would be the point?

Pleng said:
Probably for the same reason they put a line under Gamecube or PS2 emulation: The system's not powerful enough to do anything *useful* with it.

I'm sure some talented individual could spend weeks porting/coding a PS2 emulator just to have it run at less than 1fps. But what would be the point?
Well Got to start somewhere, if nobody makes software that actually reaches the extent of what this can do... there won't ever be a need to have something more powerful right?

Not trying to outdate the pandora before it's finished, but just because it's not capable of doing something that well (I remember the load times on my 486/DX66 w/ windows 95) doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. Optimizations to the code will be found, and when something more impressive comes up (pandora v2 maybe?) it will already be that much farther ahead. Rome wasn't built in a day was it?

Back