Windows 95 Runs On N900 Via Dosbox

Giepi

Still Fresh
Hai.
I know you're all excited 'bout those saucy devices arriving at random at someone's doorstep around the world, but I feel this news could be of any interest:
Someone made a starting windows95 iso for Nokia n900 which, as stated on wikipedia, is a TI OMAP 3430 SoC 600 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU 430 MHz C64x+ DSP.
Looks comparable to our beloved here :)
Do you think that this could add more to our knowledge of "will it run?"? Is there nothing we can grab from their experiments? Am I a noob? Yes. I've read everything I could understand from VIPs here about emulation of x86 on Pandora, but I just thought this story could interest you in some way :)

Anyway, full story here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42195

This is newf*ggish, I know but: could it be a little step towards AoE for Pandora? :-D Ok! I'll shut up!

I don't see any useful application for it on a Pandora. :blink:
Esp considering it's emulated.... AARRGGHH!! :angry:

I'm sure for games it would be run, but I've heard DosBox wouldnt not be able to fun Fallout 1/2 (rec: 90mhz cpu) so running windows would be so slow..

whoa this is interesting! I'm dying to play MageStorm on a Pandora! That would be the #1 game for me! It's an old Win95 era arena combat RPG, and my favourite game of all time. I wonder how bad the overhead would be?

Are there really *that* many games which were windows only? Surely almost every game exists on another easier to emulate format, ie PSX, Amiga, Arcade, ST, N64, GBA?

We should try to start a list of alternative versions.

Are there really *that* many games which were windows only? Surely almost every game exists on another easier to emulate format, ie PSX, Amiga, Arcade, ST, N64, GBA?

Id assume people looking for a Win'dora want it for things that only seem to run under windows or can't be ported do to a lack of source. While I can admit personally to wishing for a few things to be playable on it that I currently have on my computer right now (cave story, Battle moon wars to name a couple) I doubt these'd run all that well on a N900 despite getting windows to run and on top of that I see it as an opportunity to see new games created for Pandora that arnt hobbled by a life choking OS.

Windows is shit.
You can't do anything useful with it at such a slow ass speed (DosBox).. why bother?

Really?

Use DOS 6.0

craigix said:

Speaking for myself (but thinking that a couple of guys could agree with me), I really wish there were just alternatives... But I started using electronic devices (almost exclusively) with a Windows Box... So as far as I am excited by the oceans opened by the already existing emus (it's an important opportunity for gravedigging for us "young" (hell, I'm 21!) ones who have never been able to have a NES or an ATARI back at home), I will ALWAYS think that it could be just nice to run THAT really old game for windows that I played a lot in those years. I am not trying to diminish the wonderful power of pandora and its community, I'm just argumenting that the ability to boot windows 95 and play to, say, Age of Empires I would be just the real killer app I will ever dream about.

tl;dr: craigx, I really wish there would be alternatives for every game existing for win95, but just isn't likely

Last edited by a moderator:
the only windows game I really care about is half-life & that will never happen in an emulated windows environment on the pandora, so i don't really care.

Transmition said:
I know that running Win95 in QEMU can allow one to play Diablo on the PS3...
The Playstation port was pretty good. It even had local co-op.

craigix said:

I just looked through the entire mobygames list and didn't see much worth having that wasn't already available for another system. If people just really like Windows 95 then I guess this is for them because it's not in the best interest of gamers. It might be something fun to show off to people though.

Edit: Wait, I just got it. All of those bazillion Win95 hentai games. Portable Nocturnal Illusion or True Love would make laugh.

The "running Windows in an emulator" thread has been coming up with lots of new handhelds for some time. PSP and I believe GP2X got it, as did some other non-gaming-centric platforms.

I'm definitely going to try my Windows 3.11 package under DOSBox on the Pandora, but Windows 95 looks way too slow to serve any kind of purpose. There are a few games that run under Windows 3.11, but not DOSBox, so there is a use for installing Windows 3.11.

Well StarCraft+Broodwar, Diablo I (Diablo II is too demanding I fear); Age of Empires I, GTA 1&2... would be realy great to play this gems :) .

Nearly every Windows 95 game could be run from a DOS command line. It's when MS got into 'DirectX' that they struck the goldmine of inoperability.

rohezal said:
Well StarCraft+Broodwar, Diablo I (Diablo II is too demanding I fear); Age of Empires I, GTA 1&2... would be realy great to play this gems :) .

I have my doubts on Starcraft or Diablo I both required Pentium level processors.. Dosbox on pandora currently said to do only 386 - 486sx 25mhz tops. on top of running windows 95 it will be slow.

GTA 1 had a Dos only executable.. perhaps that would work, never played 2

arent there like 2 emulated systems you can play GTA1 and 2 on already?

EDIT:Okay yeah you can play them for the PS1 assuming the emulator has all the bugs worked out and possibly DC if it ever gets more than 10 frames persecond.

Back