Windows 10

Personally, I miss MS-DOS a lot. I used it for many years, even when newer stuff was available.

“Windows 10 is the last version of Windows”, says Microsoft
 Hm, is this good or bad? Easier updates are welcome but when the codebase stays forever, Windows 10 could become very old one day, no matter how many updates they release. (...)

Of course they can bring out new Windows versions and still call it 10.xxxx ^^"
Or they could stick with 10 and go Latin.

So it would be Microsoft Decimus OS. MS DOS for short.

Followed by MS DOS 2, DOS 3.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Microsoft had the problem, that the people didn't want to change from Windows XP (many still didn't do!).

So it now wants to make a new Windows, which shall be as good and loved Windows XP, but kept alive forever (even if the base changes completely and in fact Windows 12 will be installed via update).

not yet, I heard it's quite good but I'm not too keen on doing the upgrade, it seems like a giant trap to me, I'll probably wait until I buy a machine with that installed or until I build a new computer and need to buy an OS...

I'll make the shift. I have a debian laptop, use the windows box (thats from 2009 when windows 7 came out) for games.. and probably by a new PC in comming years then I'll decide if I go for full linux, dual boot or just windows.

I guess have several OSes around makes you most allround :)

I've read that Win7 isn't available anymore, does that mean, that the DRM/online activation isn't working anymore if you buy it somewhere?

It's amazing that everyone is getting so super excited to have the Start Menu back.  Looks like the Start Menu is the most wanted and newest feature of Windows 10 and the feature that MS is most proud of ;)

It's amazing that everyone is getting so super excited to have the Start Menu back.  Looks like the Start Menu is the most wanted and newest feature of Windows 10 and the feature that MS is most proud of ;)
It's not getting the start menu back, its more getting rid of that rediculous metro interface.

I don't get the hate for Metro. I guess cause my only Windows devices are touch based. I actually think MS did a really good job laying out an interface that scales between the two pretty well, but I can understand the frustration when they got rid of legacy elements like the start menu.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with 10.

My only Windows gaming machine is running Windows 98SE and has a 3DFX card. Don't feel the need to have anything newer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the hate for Metro. I guess cause my only Windows devices are touch based. I actually think MS did a really good job laying out an interface that scales between the two pretty well, but I can understand the frustration when they got rid of legacy elements like the start menu.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with 10.
The main problem with Metro was that it could stand alone.  The legacy control panel was still needed to configure certain settings, and other settings were only in the Metro interface.  Since the two interfaces were clashing together, it gave a bad experience to many people.  Well, not to mention the removal of a very familiar Windows feature---the start menu. 

-Glyph Reader

The whole mandatory update business repels me. As I understand it, only the premium paid-up business version users can 'postpone' updates?

I read a few news and reviews on it, all kind of strangely ´good´ where people compare it to win 8.

From my experience, every new windows will set your hardware performance to a half of what it was, so no upgrades here this year, I run win 7N.

What I don´t see reviews talk about, is how legacy hardware is going to be supported.

I´m pretty sure half of my hardware will be dumped without drivers, it was already hard to make them work on win 7.

The whole mandatory update business repels me. As I understand it, only the premium paid-up business version users can 'postpone' updates?
I think it`s the 'HOME' version that you can`t choose. All the other versions you can but you have to install something or other.

Back