Windows 10

They may also be requiring it because it is a tech preview, part of the "cost" of getting the preview is agreeing to share statistics so you need a Microsoft account to help track those stats.
but its pointless becuse you can turn the reporting off. Or is there some hidden report you cant turn off??? hmmmm ?

Pretty sure microsoft is kind of heading toward the direction of google.

They want people to use bing, giving the OS away is part of that.  Cortana is part of that.  They are banking on people being won over by their brand and while not making as much money with say software sales making more money overall with revenue from ad's and exposing people to more software (Like the Microsoft store)

It's the way the world is going and I think Microsoft is being very forward thinking.

It's the way the world is going and I think Microsoft is being very forward thinking.
Walled gardens all the way !

I'd say that is the best way to diminish the PC platform (or make it less useful at least), instead of keeping it open.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but the last part: MS was and is never forward thinking, usually they just do what they do, till most of the market turned into a certain direction, then they hastily try to follow this new direction. Apple is doing what you described for years, Google is partially trying to do the same for some years now.

more than apple or google?
Google's garden may be walled, but at least they put in some reasonable gates so people can get in or out easily enough, and they provide such helpful maps of their garden that anyone can basically recreate their garden in their own backyard if they're a skilled enough gardener. And I think this analogy has run its course.

As @SwiftOnSecurity wrote, people are holding a grudge against Microsoft longer than the world held a grudge against Germany. Microsoft is now doing stuff better than Google, that's now using exactly the EEE methods that Microsoft used in the 90s. 

exactly my opinion, Microsoft is behaving exactly like all of these big company and definately not worst...

You will continue to get free updates on a monthly basis to ensure your Windows experience continues to work smoothly.
Footpath-Fail-5.jpg

“Windows 10 is the last version of Windows”, says Microsoft
Hm, is this good or bad? Easier updates are welcome but when the codebase stays forever, Windows 10 could become very old one day, no matter how many updates they release. I doubt Windows is capable of updating "deep" enough to hold the kernel fresh and spicy.

Of course they can bring out new Windows versions and still call it 10.xxxx ^^"

Hm, is this good or bad? Easier updates are welcome but when the codebase stays forever, Windows 10 could become very old one day, no matter how many updates they release. I doubt Windows is capable of updating "deep" enough to hold the kernel fresh and spicy.

Or they change the name from Windows to something else. Like Doors or Stairs. 

Or they change the name from Windows to something else. Like Doors or Stairs. 
Doors 3.11 for workgroups :)

What is it, 20 years of consistent bullshit products and practice? I sure hope skipping 9 is what will make it different.

Maybe if there is a spinal tap reference with 11 ill pull a slight smirk.

Fusion_Power said:
I doubt Windows is capable of updating "deep" enough to hold the kernel fresh and spicky.
On which knowledge base do you base your doubts? Linux ships new kernel versions, too, why should Windows not be capable of this?

Fusion_Power said:
I doubt Windows is capable of updating "deep" enough to hold the kernel fresh and spicky.
On which knowledge base do you base your doubts? Linux ships new kernel versions, too, why should Windows not be capable of this?
In my experience the biggest problem with Windows recently has been clutter after it has been updated for some years: the WoW directory finally blew things to a "game over"-status nearing state.

Whether or not you make restore points and no matter how many you delete you end up with gigabtes, no TENS, of gigabytes of redundant, "just in case" stuff hidden within obscure directories.

And what is this mostly? Binaries for LOL! When it comes to my computers I'm a real control freak: I don't want to know about everything there, but I do want to know I can find out about everything when I want, on a whim!

I'd like to believe this clutter does not affect things on the stability side, but I have a hunch a cleanup now and then would be in order - just ditch the baggage and make a mechanism to redownload on demand if something stops functioning...

But this is easy to say, harder to do.

As a good start: I was delighted to see my update to Win8.1 freed some 10-20 gigabytes of diskspace (not that I needed it, but still...).

Well... I now use Linux for practically everything I can: There is software that requires Windows, there is software that requires OSX - I use those for them and nothing else. Not cheap in the sense that it takes a lot of computers and space, but that's life...

Seriously bitching about MicroSoft is soooo late 90s... people never blame the current culprits. It's almost funny. In a way the whole anti-Microsoft thing is, at the moment, movement of a "trendy subculture" who still haven't woken up to the fact that the train already went and now they've got a lot more reason to bitch about Google (some things), Facebook (everything) and Apple (quite a few things)... which many of the anti-MS-league praise to heaven and back.

(

Disclaimer: I've been a MS user since DOS3.3 (you drive the Toyota to get things done), Apple user since OSX (the early days were sooo great... and then Steve's distortion field was dropped...) and Google user for way before stuff like GMail (for which I actually participated the beta but have now ditched for what I find unagreeable usage terms... and simply to make sure I use the services of sufficient amount of providers to make following me frustrating for every one of them :). And yes, I find positives and negatives from all of these, including Linux... so I guess I've reluctantly started stomping the neutral grounds, though I still love pouring crap on Apple every chance I get :) (Mac count in household: 3).

)

Edit:

(

Ah... Linux: initial installation done with a _lot_ of help from a friend in '93, '94 or something like that... vague memories... It was not a distro, we (ok...he *blush*) built the root from zero... It was a 386/25, 2 Megs, 80 Megs... and it was Hot Iron. Had no X initially. *sigh* (some nostalgic weeping sounds at this point)... So, Linux since around those days. My first distro some time later (when I got a CD-ROM - still got the set of discs in the attic!) was Slackware which I've used ever since then. Imagine my joy when Slack was available for the Pandora :).

And the last mentioned product, Facebook: User since when? Since Get *ucking Real - never have, never will unless an employer specifically demands it!

)

Back