Windows 10

Well, when they start releasing/porting even more games to Linux (and they will).

You will be no longer an exception :p

http://blog.gsmarena.com/windows-10-will-free-upgrade-windows-7-windows-8-1-first-year/

Free upgrade for "Windows 7 (yes, you read that correctly) and up" users...

But only for the first year? Why not free all the time like OSX?

gsmarena_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it mean I can get a complete free upgrade when I do it within the first year and it last forever or does it just mean the upgrade is only one year free? 

Ugh.

Deadlock: The first year, the OS is free, then you start paying a fee to use the OS. Want to keep using Windows 10? You need to connect each 30 days to the Internet to "verify" your are running a "genuine" copy of Windows... Want a patch? Pay, pay pay.

No rollback: You need to know that you cannot restore the old version of Windows once the update to Windows 10 has been installed. (but you can restore a backup with dd)

Speculation: What I just wrote, we do not know for sure yet... (just mere speculations and rumours on the 'net, but knowing the business models, could be pretty accurate)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-much-would-a-windows-10-subscription-cost/

Does it mean I can get a complete free upgrade when I do it within the first year and it last forever or does it just mean the upgrade is only one year free?
Probably the latter... once you upgrade, you have 1 year of free patches, upgrades and what not... and then... then... mwhahahaha!

@Fusion_Power: There's also all of those people who don't really care and just keep using whaterver OS their PC ships with.

I imagine they would probably rather switch to Tablets before bothring to try anything else.
Actually, most people don't really seem get the difference between hardware and OS anymore.

Switching OS is like switching CPU in the (collective) mind of the masses.

Do they understand the first thing about online privacy?  From the vid on that page, they wont store your face or iris (or presumably, fingerprint), but they will uniquely identify you across a whole range of supported websites.   Good work guys!

Do they understand the first thing about online privacy?  From the vid on that page, they wont store your face or iris (or presumably, fingerprint), but they will uniquely identify you across a whole range of supported websites.   Good work guys!
Seems the OS division are oblivious to the reception the original XBox One (with obligatory Kinect/online connection) had at it's E3 reveal.

Won't take long for this to be the butt of many similar conspiracy theories/Gifs!

Well, that kind of unique IDs been a thing since xbox live on the original boxen.  It's not ideal, but if it only affects your game playing it's one thing.  If it affects everything you do online in the same way then mmm, not for me, ta.

for shits and giggles i installed the Win 10 tech preview on my Acer AOA150 netbook.

no problems  works fine seems alright file manager is a little different to Win7

not liking that i had to create a microsoft account to install.

couldnt find the video driver for GMA950 anywhere, the internets told me to do a windows upgrade. well it found video and audio drivers and the whole thing just seems to work. no tiles but i do hate the "apps" trying to run everything instead of the full programme

@spud42: In Windows 8 you could skip the microsoft account creation. It wasn't very obvious how to do it, but you could.

They may also be requiring it because it is a tech preview, part of the "cost" of getting the preview is agreeing to share statistics so you need a Microsoft account to help track those stats.

I really hope they also offer an solid "pay once, use it forever" version. I'm not really interested into an subscriber OS which even may want my bank data.
I was concerned about that too, but M$ recently stated that it's a full OS without any future subscription fees or anything. There will be a full paid version too, after it's been out a year. Win10 will be completely free forever to all users using Win7 or Win8 (including pirated versions!).

But there's still some confusion about this...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/18/windows-10-upgrade-free-to-pirated-windows-users

I was concerned about that too, but M$ recently stated that it's a full OS without any future subscription fees or anything. There will be a full paid version too, after it's been out a year. Win10 will be completely free forever to all users using Win7 or Win8 (including pirated versions!).

But there's still some confusion about this...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/18/windows-10-upgrade-free-to-pirated-windows-users
Confusing indeed. Time will tell what's really in MS's mind.

In other news:

MS becomming even more generous at the end? :-||"

Windows driver frameworks source on GitHub

Windows-driver-samples

I can't do anything with that but maybe our coding gurus here can tell if this stuff is somehow useful for something. ^^"

Microsoft seems to be on a good trajectory at the moment especially when it comes to open sourcing and cross platform. I hope they keep it up cos I'm impressed so far (especially for their c# vnext)

Back