Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Is it possible to change the clock rate of the wiz when running Win2X? I find the interface to be sluggish at times.

Hey, impretty new to this but love the win2x over wiz menu. Figured out how to link icons to the folders and menus but im trying to get pocketsnescompatible and pocketsnesfast to link but i can only seem to get the fast version working, any way to have one of each?

thanks!

Terid said:
Hey, impretty new to this but love the win2x over wiz menu. Figured out how to link icons to the folders and menus but im trying to get pocketsnescompatible and pocketsnesfast to link but i can only seem to get the fast version working, any way to have one of each?

thanks!

They should both work fine, if not then I think maybe pocketsnes is the problem. Are you adding icons by using the autosearch function?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I just made a skin for win2x as there doesn't seem to be many about!

preview-1.png

Love to get some feedback as it's my first time skinning anything!

Thanks

EDIT: Helps if I link it lol. You can get it here.

Wycked said:
In the SD>Win2X>User>Whoever>Links folders, what type of shortcut does it use? INIs? If I could get INIMaker or something like that to work (again, taking so long as to freeze up), I could just work around Auto-Scan.

You don't have to use auto scan, you can open one of the menus, and tap the + button.

chp said:
Hi guys,

I'm surprised (and glad) to see that this thread is still alive.

Welcome back, although its been a little slow around here of late. Are you back for good? Plan to work on your gui?

I'm not sure. I have been away for a long time. I don't know how things are on the WIZ. And I see new handhelds around(Pandora,Caanoo).

chp said:
I'm not sure. I have been away for a long time. I don't know how things are on the WIZ. And I see new handhelds around(Pandora,Caanoo).

Well GPH basically decided to release the Caanoo, which the almost the same hardware of the Wiz. It seems the Caanoo was a flop (big surprise) and caused GPH to drop out of the market.
Theres been quite a bit of history with the pandora, but to sum it up it sill the fastest open source device (im aware of). It been plagued with production issues, but recently the production was moved to Germany where it could be monitored. Things seemed to have turned around so hopefully new orders continue and the old orders slowly are supplied.
A lot of the pandora community is here now http://boards.openpandora.org/

I see. I thought the Pandora Project would have been completed by now. Sad news for GPH. It seems that WIZ and Caanoo have no official support anymore, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Oooh, I'm a big fan of you're GUI , There are still a few Wiz fans around here (I'm probly one of the Biggest). There have been a some cool things for the Wiz and Cannoo like a couple of decent Web Browsers (Aurora, Netsurf) , the Playstation emu PCSX rearmed which is really good IMO, PhoneMe mobile java emu port for Caanoo.

Nice to see you stop by :)

Hello! Now that you returned... maybe you could port it on the caanoo! :Q__

DJRoby4 said:
Hello! Now that you returned... maybe you could port it on the caanoo! :Q__

That would be cool!

Firmware 1.2.1
When I uninstall Win2X (latest version) the clock of the Wiz gets reset to 01/01/1970. It takes a lot of patience to get this back onto the date that it needs to be. I personally needed to reconfigure and restart my Wiz more than 5 times to get it right. And sometimes even that won't work also, so the date keeps standing on 01/01/1970. Very weird, don't know what's causing this.

Just thought I should let everyone know.

For the rest, fantastic interface and extra options. Maybe this is the basis for something even greater, like a total new OS with lots of bells and whistles, that makes the original interface disappear altogether.

One thing ive found with Win2X Id like to warn people about is that ive tried this menu replacment meny times. When going to the main menu functions from the gp2x button the taskbar, it will freeze. Also, if you uninstall it and go back to the default wiz menu, the USB connection to NAND memory will no longer function untill you reinstall the firmware completly.
Better late than never: after analyzing Win2X behavior, I figured out what caused those issues and found the way to fix them. So no need anymore to reflash entirely your Wiz after Win2X uninstall.

Just download this archive:
http://lajulie.free.fr/Win2X_uninstall_fix.zip

Instructions: copy the 2 files (uninstall_fix.gpe and rc.local) anywhere on your sd card (just keep them together) and launch uninstall_fix.gpe. Once it went back to GPH launcher, just REBOOT your device (won't be fixed before) and NAND/game access and date are back. :)
BTW, it removes a file left by Win2X as well in /usr/gp2x.
It can perform clean and complete Win2X uninstall as well if it's placed next to uninstall.gpe.

I wanted to post it, even 5 years later as it's an important fix, because I know that we can easily brick this device when trying to reflash it (it happened to me!).

Back