Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Firmware 1.2.1
When I uninstall Win2X (latest version) the clock of the Wiz gets reset to 01/01/1970. It takes a lot of patience to get this back onto the date that it needs to be. I personally needed to reconfigure and restart my Wiz more than 5 times to get it right. And sometimes even that won't work also, so the date keeps standing on 01/01/1970. Very weird, don't know what's causing this.

Just thought I should let everyone know.

For the rest, fantastic interface and extra options. Maybe this is the basis for something even greater, like a total new OS with lots of bells and whistles, that makes the original interface disappear altogether.

One thing ive found with Win2X Id like to warn people about is that ive tried this menu replacment meny times. When going to the main menu functions from the gp2x button the taskbar, it will freeze. Also, if you uninstall it and go back to the default wiz menu, the USB connection to NAND memory will no longer function untill you reinstall the firmware completly.

I'm having an issue with Auto Scan. I may be to the point where I have so many files on the SD card (a 16 gig card, pretty full) that Auto Scan just doesn't work anymore. The last few times I tried to use it so I could add new programs to the menus, it sat in "Please wait..." mode for over two hours until I turned it off and noticed the battery was pretty warm. Any thoughts?

Wycked said:
I'm having an issue with Auto Scan. I may be to the point where I have so many files on the SD card (a 16 gig card, pretty full) that Auto Scan just doesn't work anymore. The last few times I tried to use it so I could add new programs to the menus, it sat in "Please wait..." mode for over two hours until I turned it off and noticed the battery was pretty warm. Any thoughts?

first, the author of win2x is not active here since quite a long time. what i suggest is to backup your SD card, reformat it with panasonic sd card formatter and then try again. sometimes it's not a software fault but a hardware one that causes unpredictable problems. so you might want to give it a try first ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't mean someone else can't reply. What does the Panasonic formatter do differently than say, Windows? Does it matter that I have a SanDisk card?

Man, I'm on a whole new level of issues.

Tried to backup the SD card. Windows seems to think I have 80 gigs of data on a 16 gig card, and won't copy/move it.

its nice work. Thanks. I am using Version 2.4.3 but where can i change user avatars after "installation" ?

greetings

I did not like the start button so I took a GP2X Wiz logo and the original start button (gold) with the words taken out and put them together in Photoshop. I think this looks better then Win2X in plain text.

startbutton.png

and where are the files after installing this app?
the old folder on the SD Card is not the right one. there is for example only one user called "Admin" and the installed version has two users with different names.

BigWhoop said:
and where are the files after installing this app?
the old folder on the SD Card is not the right one. there is for example only one user called "Admin" and the installed version has two users with different names.
You can access it by going to NAND or SD from the sidebar menu, hit L twice, enter usr, enter gp2x, and oyu will find the folder resources and users. The reason it is hard to get to is because you are not supposed to access it. You can change things by changing the files on the SD card and running install.gpe.

After upgrading the firmware and reinstalling Win2X (losing all my setup in the process), Auto-Scan just straight up doesn't work anymore. Unless someone wants to tackle the source and try to fix it, I'm going with Gmenu2x.

Wycked said:
After upgrading the firmware and reinstalling Win2X (losing all my setup in the process), Auto-Scan just straight up doesn't work anymore. Unless someone wants to tackle the source and try to fix it, I'm going with Gmenu2x.

I know chp talked about it but was the source ever released?

Pickle said:
Wycked said:

I know chp talked about it but was the source ever released?

nope, he never released it.

In the SD>Win2X>User>Whoever>Links folders, what type of shortcut does it use? INIs? If I could get INIMaker or something like that to work (again, taking so long as to freeze up), I could just work around Auto-Scan.

Wycked said:
In the SD>Win2X>User>Whoever>Links folders, what type of shortcut does it use? INIs? If I could get INIMaker or something like that to work (again, taking so long as to freeze up), I could just work around Auto-Scan.
it`s doesn`t use ini files, its use internal win2x format.You can find it on your SD card only when you DON`T install win2x, just run it from SD.Otherwise, files is on NAND where you can`t reach it.Somewhere in this topic you can find shortcuts extractor from sd, it help you avoid lost all your win2x configurations.

crow_riot said:
Wycked said:

first, the author of win2x is not active here since quite a long time. what i suggest is to backup your SD card, reformat it with panasonic sd card formatter and then try again. sometimes it's not a software fault but a hardware one that causes unpredictable problems. so you might want to give it a try first ...

Finally got everything off the SD card onto my PC, used the Panasonic formatter. After running for a bit, it said it can't format the card, and now the Wiz won't recognize it at all.

Wycked said:
Finally got everything off the SD card onto my PC, used the Panasonic formatter. After running for a bit, it said it can't format the card, and now the Wiz won't recognize it at all.

you're still able to see the card and put data on to it on your PC? if yes, try formatting the card using FAT32

The Wiz is my only SD card reader, so it not recognizing it means Windows won't even register it being connected. Staples said it was probably just bad, and swapped it out for free. Whatever!

Back