Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Not to be argumentative, but I personally like the windowed format. But, if you do decide to add a full screen option, maybe add the "window icons" to switch between full screen and partial screen? That way everyone wins.

I love the windowed format as well, and since chp built it the way he likes it and it's his program who are we to tell him it should be built in a way contrary to how he likes it?

The popups support FIFTEEN icons per window and a potentially infinite number of them via the scroll arrows so I'm not sure where the argument actually comes from. The space gain would get you 3 more icons per popup maximum unless the info bar of the window was also sacrificed. One suggestion that may (or may not) work would be to sacrifice the info bar at the bottom of the popup and use that for an additional row and place the info on the top of the bar next to the popup title, like Emulators: (emulator name selected). Alternatively you could add tooltip support and have the info appear that way?
I don't personally think this is needed but it would give a potential 5 additional icons to the people complaining about only having access to 15 per screen.

Again, thanks for this chp. It's really made a massive difference in how I use my Wiz. Now I'm waiting for some way to run a mod player and your lovely replacement at the same time so I can use Grafx2 or Solitaire or whatnot with some music!

Edit: Milkawax, for some reason your link files don't work for me. I copied them into Win2x/links/apps and restarted and they don't show up. I can see them clearly on both my pc and in Win2x's file explorer but they don't show up in the apps screen at all. Any ideas?

ProgZmax said:
I love the windowed format as well, and since chp built it the way he likes it and it's his program who are we to tell him it should be built in a way contrary to how he likes it?

The popups support FIFTEEN icons per window and a potentially infinite number of them via the scroll arrows so I'm not sure where the argument actually comes from. The space gain would get you 3 more icons per popup maximum unless the info bar of the window was also sacrificed. One suggestion that may (or may not) work would be to sacrifice the info bar at the bottom of the popup and use that for an additional row and place the info on the top of the bar next to the popup title, like Emulators: (emulator name selected). Alternatively you could add tooltip support and have the info appear that way?
I don't personally think this is needed but it would give a potential 5 additional icons to the people complaining about only having access to 15 per screen.

But there has been no good reason for the icon window to be so small. You say you "like it" but give no reason why it is better to have less icons and have to scroll around more and thus take more time searching for what you want. Fifteen icons is nothing when you have 30-50 games and ports and 20 or so emulators. You should be able to get at 24 icons or at least 20 without sacrificing anything except all of that dead space around that small window. I am not saying you should get rid of the window completely but just make it as big as you can to allow it to be more useful. The dead space around it now is doing nothing. Maybe have a window size config somewhere. The bigger you set it the more icons you can have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find having the window centered in the scope of the desktop easier to work with, both so I can quickly click on the start button to go back to the menu and because it's much easier for me to activate things inside the PERIPHERY of the wiz screen. Touch screen presses just seem more responsive when you aren't trying to click in the upper or lower corners. Also, I see the potential for layered popups that are offset enough that you can switch focus to a different one by repositioning it (though I'm not sure how possible this is). The ability to minimize explorer icons to the taskbar would be an additional boon in this case since you could just swap between them with a click, and the taskbar would be completely obscured if the window was fullscreen (or would you concede to having the taskbar area still visible?). If he were to design it in this way there would be no need at all for a popup window; the contents of the desktop could just change depending on which menu option you selected with, perhaps, some arrows on the right side of the screen.

I think if he altered the window info bar that would fit in another 5 icons and unless you're just stockpiling programs for the sake of it (archiving) I don't see why you'd need more than 20 on screen icons at the very most, which puts the argument back in your court. Do you actually USE all of those programs regularly enough that using a couple of scroll arrows presents a serious performance hazard?

Again, I side with chp and if he wants to change it then it doesn't really affect my life. I certainly am not going to try and compel him not to do so by making up a list of reasons why I like it how it is now, since it's a very, very subjective argument at this point on your part. I'll continue to use it regardless without complaint because it's far and away the best front end going for the Wiz, fullstop.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out why Milkawax's links don't work for me. Did they work for anyone else? I've tried putting them in different folders and they still refuse to show up in Win2x even after a restart. Maybe Win2x keeps some file on what links were created inside it?

ProgZmax said:
I find having the window centered in the scope of the desktop easier to work with, both so I can quickly click on the start button to go back to the menu and because it's much easier for me to activate things inside the PERIPHERY of the wiz screen. Touch screen presses just seem more responsive when you aren't trying to click in the upper or lower corners. I think if he altered the window info bar that would fit in another 5 icons and unless you're just stockpiling programs for the sake of it (archiving) I don't see why you'd need more than 20 on screen icons at the very most, which puts the argument back in your court. Do you actually USE all of those programs regularly enough that using a couple of scroll arrows presents a serious performance hazard?

Again, I side with chp and if he wants to change it then it doesn't really affect my life. I certainly am not going to try and compel him not to do so by making up a list of reasons why I like it how it is now, since it's a very, very subjective argument at this point on your part. I'll continue to use it regardless without complaint because it's far and away the best front end going for the Wiz, fullstop.
Well you use the touchscreen many don't either because it doesn't work well or because it is a hassle to dig out the stylus and gouge up the screen just to load a game.

If you are using the pad all you need are icons and the more the better. Not all of us only have 15 things or less on it and if you did there is almost no point in a launcher with only a couple of things on it. The point of a launcher is to be able to organize large amounts of things and get to them faster.

Now your argument is that we shouldn't use more than 15 programs so we can use this launcher better? If we want to we are just "stockpiling"? Ok we should all start deleting things off our Wizzes until we get to 15. That is the most ridiculous argument I have heard.

It really is the only working frontend for the Wiz unfortunatly other than the default. There are no other choices.

OK....Thank you fellows for supporting Win2X....Feedback is most valuable(even negative) but As ProgZmax stated...This is the way I designed it in the first place...

DaveC...
I have kept your suggestion in mind but keep saying the same thing again and again is pointless...I am working on more important improvements right now...Just wondering though...If I do implement what you suggest...what will be your next comparison with GMenu2X??

ProgZmax...
Links appeare ONLY if their respective target executables do exist in the specified path..so maybe TCPMP.gpe and ts_calibrate do not exist in your /usr/gp2x folder.
An other more simple(and reasonable) reason,could be that you opened the .lk files, on your PC, for edit and removed their UNIX end-line(LF) format so as they are not recognized any more...
Do not worry though as the next release is almost here,and it has GPH apps embedded..

No, my argument is that there's no harm in using the scroll arrows to get to more icons. Your argument is the one that seems decidedly one-sided and rather anal retentive (no room for compromise at all), but I'm done with this. Like I said, it's chp's emulator and I'll use it regardless of which direction he chooses to take it.

Also, the very concept that I need more than 15 icons in a particular group for there to be a valid 'reason' to use this frontend is absolutely ludicrous. With moderators like you around I can see why developers have better things to do than post here. Good day.

Edit: Thanks for the response chp. I don't really have any way of viewing my /usr/gp2x folder but I would guess that the programs there are the same as on any default Wiz since I can run those two programs from my wiz frontend. I didn't edit the files either, but it's all academic since I won't be back to this thread anyway. I'll just keep an eye over at openhandhelds for future releases. Again, thanks for all your effort!

ProgZmax said:
No, my argument is that there's no harm in using the scroll arrows to get to more icons. Your argument is the one that seems decidedly one-sided and rather anal retentive (no room for compromise at all), but I'm done with this. Like I said, it's chp's emulator and I'll use it regardless of which direction he chooses to take it.

Also, the very concept that I need more than 15 icons in a particular group for there to be a valid 'reason' to use this frontend is absolutely ludicrous. With moderators like you around I can see why developers have better things to do than post here. Good day.
Thank you man...you are in my mind...This is no support at all...We should all encourage other people on their work.Not just getting stucked in a stupid argument and blame them for that!Why don't you DaveC,try and create an alternative yourself.Or even get your hands on the precious GMenu2X of yours and improve it?Even if you do,I will appreciate your work and effort..not blame it...

Sorry to hear that ProgZmax...Anyway I really thank you for your support and your help...It's so important for any developer to have such help...

So does that mean we can anticipate a new version released today? No pressure or anything, I was just curious :)

kart_racer3 said:
So does that mean we can anticipate a new version released today? No pressure or anything, I was just curious :)
Yes,the new release is almost done...

kart_racer3 said:

Maybe this year maybe next year, let him do...
I'm sure he post the updated version if he finished it...
Win2X is my favourite browser, put it in nand and linked all my stuff with it.
Fast and i think the most compatible until now.

:D

So let's wait and see what happens in next version...

CHP - I realise I'm going to be too late for your next version, but I have an idea and since they come and go quickly I thought I'd tell you before I forget! Would it be possible to add a 'rename' file function to the explorer? This could be very useful as I sometimes like to rename game save states so they don't get modified accidentally. It's not something that's urgent or anything, just a thought.

I'm looking forward to the next release, Win2X keeps getting better. Someday I'll rip out that crappy wiz bootup logo and replace it with the old windows 95/98 boot screen just for a laugh - it'd be hilarious if it could play the "Ding de ding de ding" sound sample as the win2X screen pops into view all setup to look like 98 - haha!!! For a grand finale once we get dosbox running at a decent speed on the Wiz we could link fantastic classic DOS programs, that would really raise some eyebrows when traveling on the bus!

TitanUranus said:
CHP - I realise I'm going to be too late for your next version, but I have an idea and since they come and go quickly I thought I'd tell you before I forget! Would it be possible to add a 'rename' file function to the explorer? This could be very useful as I sometimes like to rename game save states so they don't get modified accidentally. It's not something that's urgent or anything, just a thought.

I'm looking forward to the next release, Win2X keeps getting better. Someday I'll rip out that crappy wiz bootup logo and replace it with the old windows 95/98 boot screen just for a laugh - it'd be hilarious if it could play the "Ding de ding de ding" sound sample as the win2X screen pops into view all setup to look like 98 - haha!!! For a grand finale once we get dosbox running at a decent speed on the Wiz we could link fantastic classic DOS programs, that would really raise some eyebrows when traveling on the bus!
Well,"rename" is already implemented Titan...and since the new version,it'll have a "send to wallpaper" function aswell(a function that copies a selected .png file to the wallpaper folder so as to be available for custom background)...thanks for your continuous suggestions!

ProgZmax said:
Yes but your "arguments" make no sense so far that is why I reply to this. You are saying scrolling around more is more desirable than not? Using the scroll arrows more often is just more time and steps to get at your stuff. There are no advantages to having less while there are some to having more. It is just common logic. I don't know why you can't admit it. Things like this and saying you shouldn't stockpile aren't good arguments they are excuses. If you just came out and said something like "yes more icons could save time , but I like it now anyway as it works well for me" then that would make sense and there would be no argument. BTW I am not a moderator. Moderators have an "extreme team" logo.

chp said:
Why don't you DaveC,try and create an alternative yourself.Or even get your hands on the precious GMenu2X of yours and improve it?Even if you do,I will appreciate your work and effort..not blame it...
I would improve it but I can't code. I can design a launcher but couldn't code one. Those are two different things.

DaveC said:
ProgZmax said:
Yes but your "arguments" make no sense so far that is why I reply to this. You are saying scrolling around more is more desirable than not? Using the scroll arrows more often is just more time and steps to get at your stuff. There is no advantages to having less while there are some to having more. It is just common logic. I don't know why you can't admit it. Things like this and saying you shouldn't stockpile aren't good reasons they are excuses. If you just came out and said something like "yes more icons could save time , but I like it now anyway as it works well for me" then that would make sense and there would be no argument. BTW I am not a moderator. Moderators have an "extreme team" logo.

chp said:
Why don't you DaveC,try and create an alternative yourself.Or even get your hands on the precious GMenu2X of yours and improve it?Even if you do,I will appreciate your work and effort..not blame it...
I would improve it but I can't code. I can design a launcher but couldn't code one. Those are two different things.

Perhaps there are MORE advantages to having LESS discussion around topics already covered in copiously quoted volumes. You want more things, he's happy with what he has already - I'm delighted to have anything at all! Now I will shut up till I have some new suggestion, comments on a new version or a useful point to make.

EDIT: You would not necessarily improve it DaveC, you would change to suit your peronal tastes. chp can design a launcher, and he can code as well. He makes what suits him, and very kindly takes on board our suggestions, which he can decide whether it's worth his effort to implement or not.

CHP, just another quick idea, sometimes I connect the wiz to transfer files or something and go away. Now that the screensaver function kicks in I sometimes forget to switch it off - perhaps an auto-switch off function after say 5-10 minutes inactivity could be implemented? Not sure if that's even possible, but it's an idea.

TitanUranus said:
CHP, just another quick idea, sometimes I connect the wiz to transfer files or something and go away. Now that the screensaver function kicks in I sometimes forget to switch it off - perhaps an auto-switch off function after say 5-10 minutes inactivity could be implemented? Not sure if that's even possible, but it's an idea.
Neat idea Titan!I have already tried to implement an auto-switch-off function,but without success(didn't spend much time on this) but I will look to it again.

*extremely excited, but patiently waits for next major update*

EDIT:

@ DaveC

chp is doing all this at his own free will. Meaning he doesn't have to do any of this at all, so whatever displeasure and bias you might have, just let it go now, mate.

MDave said:
Hello! Is there any screen shots available? I don't have a Wiz to test this :p
You can download the file from the archive,then you can find screenshots in the README.doc

Happy New Year guys!
Cheer up chp!!!
I have been sitting here waiting for your new release since you mentioned it :p

Back