Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Editet cause i wrote in german sorry

Here the files for MediaPlayer and Touch Sceen Calibrate integration.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48918271/Yeah.rar.html

put the two lk files into following folder and have fun.

\Win2X\links\apps\

:)

Another thing is to calibrate the screen was easy.
You must not tap on the middle of the calibrate cross.
If you see that your touchscreen touches wrong try to calibrate
near the cross - for example mine works well if i tap the left side
of the calibrate cross on the 5 points.

My english is bad i know , but you must have a try with the calibrate link i made...
See rapidshare file in older post.

chp said:
chickendung said:
chp said:
chickendung said:
I don't even have a /lib directory. How does one come about?
You should have a lib directory in the root of the filesystem.If you use Win2X's explorer and follow the root backwards,you should have a list of
directories like bin,usr,etc...There should exist a directory named "lib".Check it out and let me know if you would...
Nope, no bin, usr, or lib folders anywhere. Does the filesystem of the SD card affect that in any way?
Are you sure for that chickendug?If you open the explorer from the [system] menu then you are shown 4 folders:"sd","tmp","nand" and "ubifs".
If you go back from this point,you should see many other folders like:"bin","dev",etc",lib","mnt" etc... Did you?
No folders.

Last edited by a moderator:
milkawax said:
Another thing is to calibrate the screen was easy.
You must not tap on the middle of the calibrate cross.
If you see that your touchscreen touches wrong try to calibrate
near the cross - for example mine works well if i tap the left side
of the calibrate cross on the 5 points.

My english is bad i know , but you must have a try with the calibrate link i made...
See rapidshare file in older post.
Thank you milkawax!That was a big help!I intended to do something like that with the new version I'm working on...The problem that concerns me
right now is that,according to chikendung,he can't see any directories in his filesystem root...Which is ver VERY weird...

chickendung said:
No folders...
Well...I'm really concerned about that...It's kind of impossible to have no folders in the root of your filesystem...In that case your WIZ should be completely useless...

chp said:
chickendung said:
No folders...
Well...I'm really concerned about that...It's kind of impossible to have no folders in the root of your filesystem...In that case your WIZ should be completely useless...
Foolish me! I was not aware that the L button went up a directory. Do you want my lib folder tree?

Very Very Nice, Much Much Thanks...
I've installed it on both of my WiZ's.
Tho, Along with everybody else, I have a few suggestions.
I did not read the entire 10 pages of this thread, word for word...
So I hope I dont repeat anything that's been said before.

I linked the GPH Video player in the Applications,
Ana as milkawax suggested the calibration tool.
I think it would be good to have preinstalled links to the All the GPH software.
Granted most of it is worthless,
but there is no significant Video Player that I know of yet...
( come on mplayer guys :)

Now doing that would cause a lot of icons, mostly useless.
So I suggest a SubFolder Scheme for the Apps, Emulators and Games, etc.
Such that I could have under Apps a GPH folder.
Under Emulators a Nintento Folder, with my NES, SNES, and GBx emulators.
Atari Folder, Sega Folder, etc.

Clearly File association would be very helpful,
AVIs and MP3s launching from default GPH Apps if possible.
With of course the ability to use custom associations.

I use the music player OmmPC2X it will not launch from within Win2X,
Nor as I have just discovered from the GPH menu after the Win2X install.
Nor after uninstall, had to flash the WiZ back to 1.1...
Further experiments revealed that I could not even launch Win2X,
from the a recently flashed WiZ if I had previously played OmmPC2X.
( using most recent version of OmmPC2X from http://code.google.com/p/ommpc/ )
GMU will hafta do, lol.

One thing that's buggin' me bad,
is the fact that I cannot press DPAD UP
to get to the bottom of the directory listing,
from the top of the listing. Grr :)

GPE files with dots in the name...
( such as : off.autorun.gpe )
Are not recognized as executable GPEs.

You cannot add executables...
( such as : ts_calibrate )
Because no GPE extention.
( I just copied the base file, and gave it a GPE extention )
Milkawax's solution was a manual .lk file, I didn't think of that.

Picture rotation would be nice.
And leaving it rotated during LEFT RIGHT browse,
would also be nice. unlike the GPH viewer,
Where each picture next or back is reset to default landscape.
( also auto rotation by determining the longest side would be a nice option )

So to recap, lol:
1> GPH Apps
2> SubFolders
3> OmmPC2X
4> DPAD Up
5> (non)GPE extentions
6> Picture Rotation

Again SOLID work, Good Luck getting it done...

chickendung said:
Foolish me! I was not aware that the L button went up a directory. Do you want my lib folder tree?
OK...That's better...If you don't mind,it would be helpful if you make a list of its contents...

chp said:
chickendung said:
OK...That's better...If you don't mind,it would be helpful if you make a list of its contents...
Too many files to count! I used milkawax's calibration tool, but the start button still doesn't work. I suspect it's one of the worse touchscreens found in Wizzes.

chickendung said:
Too many files to count! I used milkawax's calibration tool, but the start button still doesn't work. I suspect it's one of the worse touchscreens found in Wizzes.
Sorry to tell..but that's what I was thinking too...Try to calibrate with some offset.Don't press at the middle of the crosshair,try to press a little bit right or left of it.

chp said:
chickendung said:
Sorry to tell..but that's what I was thinking too...Try to calibrate with some offset.Don't press at the middle of the crosshair,try to press a little bit right or left of it.
I tried that. Oh well, my Pandora will be with me soon. ;)
Remind me to never buy a GPH device again.

The touchscreen works flawless for me in Win2x, in fact works perfect in every program or game that supports it. Bad luck chickendung, i hope you enjoy more your pandora... when you get it.

chickendung said:
Well.Is matter of luck too.Everything in electronics has a fault factor...

Dejunai said:
One thing that's buggin' me bad,
is the fact that I cannot press DPAD UP
to get to the bottom of the directory listing,
from the top of the listing. Grr :)

I had exactly the same thought about that, just wasn't sure how best to explain the thought! Yes, making the directory listings wrap round to the bottom by pushing "up" button (or icon) would make life easier indeed. To think I used to write profesionally. Shocking, guess I'm brain dead from playing around with my Wiz so much. Well done sir on your fine eloquence!

Dejunai said:
So to recap, lol:
1> GPH Apps
2> SubFolders
3> OmmPC2X
4> DPAD Up
5> (non)GPE extentions
6> Picture Rotation

Again SOLID work, Good Luck getting it done...
Wow...First of all thank you for your precious feedback...The most of your suggestions are correct...
1.GPH Apps are already implemented(just wait for the next version) but unfortunately the GPH mplayer do not accept command lines(which means association with .avi can't be done(for now))
2. Subfolders is a bit of work but I'll do it!(Not at the next version though,I think)
3. I'll make some tests.Maybe OmmPC2X tweaks with the filesystem rendering Win2X useless..
4. Already fixed..
5. If I make the explorer to try and execute every non-exented file,that will cause many troubles(for non-experienced users).
6.Rotation can be done,but permanent rotation means saving the file as is...I'll look to it...
And that's it...I need some sleep too..Anyway thank you all for your support!In that point I'd like to announce that version 1.1 will be released tomorrow(or perhaps with the new year,just for luck!).

chp said:
chickendung said:
Well.Is matter of luck too.Everything in electronics has a fault factor...

It is not luck in this case. My touchscreen works fine in every application except yours. If I then launch the normal menu from Win2x then the touchscreen no longer works in that either. A missing library shouldn't stop the default menu from working with the touchscreen (when it does normally).

I hafta press the top left corner of the cross hair...
And after I play certain emulators, I hafta re-calibrate.
Might be nice to have a cursor utility to show how bad the TS really is.
Or maybe a ping utility, start the utility, and touch the screen any 5 places.
And Win2X shows a simple dot as to where the touch was registered?
This would give people a fighting chance when they use the ts_calibrate.
-DEJ

chp said:
Dejunai said:
5> (non)GPE extentions
6> Picture Rotation

5. If I make the explorer to try and execute every non-exented file,that will cause many troubles(for non-experienced users).
6.Rotation can be done,but permanent rotation means saving the file as is...I'll look to it...

5. Maybe a settings function, a simple flag, "[x] Enable non GPE executables (power users only)".
6. I dont mean permanently rotate the single picture.
-- I mean when I rotate a picture and press NEXT the next picture is already rotated.
-- And the next and the next until I rotate back.

Keep up the good work, I am crazy excited about v1.1...
-DEJ

Thanks for your good work,
now i'm tired - it's 3:44 here in germany and i'll have to sleep a bit..
Should i test something for you i'll be back 5-7 hours later...

night

chp said:
Even if I made it fullscreen,the gain would probably be 6-7 extra icons.It's not such a big deal...It's half an extra page in the viewer...
If someone has too many icons to deal with(as DaveC) then the more reasonable solution should be to change the icons resulution to a smaller(e.g 20x20).But that would be a pain to the eyes...
And that's why I implemented the slideshow..to have a look at an image with fullscreen mode...The reason I didn't make it as default is that I wanted to give to the user the ability to just preview an image before switch it to fullscreen.That is the idea of browsing after all(to easily find what you are looking for and then make your options-like view it,delete it,copy it etc).
Ok so you would "only" gain 6-7 extra icons (you should be able to get 9 more if you design it right as Gmenu2X can do that WITH icon text under the icons). That doesn't sound like a good excuse to me for not adding a larger icon panel. So far over all these posts I have still not heard ONE single reason for NOT making the window bigger. The fact is it would make selections and getting to your stuff faster and isn't that the idea of a launcher? What is the purpose of a small window? Really what is the purpose? I even read your post saying the Wiz screen is only 320 x 240 so it is limited. So you choose limit it even more by making the window and useable area even less? It doesn't make much sense.

Back