Win2X : Alternative Frontend

DarkShadowSwE said:
My guess is that if u run the "install.gpe" u flash over ur original firmware ? , meaning u delete the built in media player ?...

Now to my question to u chp : Its a lot of talk about the battery time decreasing if u implate to much stuff , but how is it holding up to the built in system menu so far ? , do i get the same battery life as the built in system menu in the curent state of "Win2X" ?

And have i understood it right to say : launching an application exits the "Win2X" frontend so only the application launched drains battery ? , and does the original frontend do this to ?
First of all...No.By installing Win2X you don't flash in firmware in any chance!Just tweak it a little...so a link to the media player could be possible...
I haven't made a battery test because I'm too busy for that.So for now I can't answer but I'll do some tests in the future...
And yes you understood correctly.When launching an app, Win2X remains no more in memory, which means no RAM reservation,no CPU cycles etc...
Can't say for sure but I think that the original does this too...Hope to have been helpfull...

Last edited by a moderator:
chp said:
DarkShadowSwE said:
My guess is that if u run the "install.gpe" u flash over ur original firmware ? , meaning u delete the built in media player ?...

Now to my question to u chp : Its a lot of talk about the battery time decreasing if u implate to much stuff , but how is it holding up to the built in system menu so far ? , do i get the same battery life as the built in system menu in the curent state of "Win2X" ?

And have i understood it right to say : launching an application exits the "Win2X" frontend so only the application launched drains battery ? , and does the original frontend do this to ?
First of all...No.By installing Win2X you don't flash in firmware in any chance!Just tweak it a little...so a link to the media player could be possible...
I haven't made a battery test because I'm too busy for that.So for now I can't answer but I'll do some tests in the future...
And yes you understood correctly.When launching an app, Win2X remains no more in memory, which means no RAM reservation,no CPU cycles etc...
Can't say for sure but I think that the original does this too...Hope to have been helpfull...

Makes me going to install it as soon as i get home from my vacation , keep up the good work , hope to see ur future support to this awsome frontend , looking forward to the battery test , tho , might not be so important in whole sins the frontend is unloaded when apps are launched , sins its mainly used to launch apps , but nice work so far...

DarkShadowSwE said:
raindog said:
Thank you very much chp, Win2X is one of the best applications for the Wiz, and for sure gonna make me love even more my little machine.

Just one thing, is there any way to put a link in the desktop for the default music player? With that the program will be perfect for me.

Greetings and sorry for my poor english.

Edit:

And the chance to make links for the system´s applications, like GP2Xmenu, could be very usefull. :)

The built in media player can be executed by using the link to GP2Xmenu, at the system menu. It works perfectly that way, but it is a bit uncomfortable. A link at the desktop would be ideal.

chp said:
DaveC said:
Ok I tested this...
1. It is supposed to be compatible even though I haven't tested it.You can test it out by yourself.Just run Win2X.gpe.If it loads then it's OK.No brick chance for older Wizzes.
2. When you launch an app, Win2X unloads from memory COMPLETELY(no RAM,no CPU cycles etc).It's a frontend after all,not a firmware...
3. I'll include skinning in some next version..
4. Subdirectories sounds good too...
What about making or giving the option to make the window fullscreen to fit more icons in? This will make more useful for those of us with allot of stuff. You didn't mention this. This is where Gmenu is far better, you can have allot more icons meaning less scrolling and quicker access. Also with Gmenu you can have it set so that when your unit is turned on it can default to a certain screen of icons. This means that most of the time you just turn on the Wiz scroll to the app, press button and go. With Win2x you start your Wiz, press menu, scroll through your catagories, press the button, then scroll through the icons, press button again and finally launch. There are more steps to get to your app with this. Win2X is a nice bit of coding but if this could be improved it would be nicer. That is the whole idea of a launcher right? to make it easier and faster to load your desired app.

Also couldn't there be a boot app that you would install in the FW instead of the whole app? This would be a little autorun app that would re-direct to Win2X on the SD card. It would also have a way such as holding down a buton on power on which then would give options: Boot Win2X, Boot original, Make win2x default, make original default. This way everytime you update we wouldn't have to re-flash the NAND (dangerous) we would just have to change the SD card installation. If Win2X wasn't working, or you didn't want to use it, then you could set to default the original and never know you had a problem without re-flashing every time..

DaveC said:
What about making or giving the option to make the window fullscreen to fit more icons in? This will make more useful for those of us with allot of stuff. You didn't mention this. This is where Gmenu is far better, you can have allot more icons meaning less scrolling and quicker access. Also with Gmenu you can have it set so that when your unit is turned on it can default to a certain screen of icons. This means that most of the time you just turn on the Wiz scroll to the app, press button and go. With Win2x you start your Wiz, press menu, scroll through your catagories, press the button, then scroll through the icons, press button again and finally launch. There are more steps to get to your app with this. Win2X is a nice bit of coding but if this could be improved it would be nicer. That is the whole idea of a launcher right? to make it easier and faster to load your desired app.

Also couldn't there be a boot app that you would install in the FW instead of the whole app? This would be a little autorun app that would re-direct to Win2X on the SD card. It would also have a way such as holding down a buton on power on which then would give options: Boot Win2X, Boot original, Make win2x default, make original default. This way everytime you update we wouldn't have to re-flash the NAND (dangerous) we would just have to change the SD card installation. If Win2X wasn't working, or you didn't want to use it, then you could set to default the original and never know you had a problem without re-flashing every time..
Well...you forgot(once more) the desktop,which holds up different category links,the abillity to erase a desktop link without deleting the actual link(and go all over again to re-create it if you change your mind),and also that once Win2X is loaded,you have instant access to the desktop links.
If you try it yourself and create a desktop icon and then count the steps you'll find that the steps needed to launch an app are less than GMenu2X..
Also I don't understand why you're saying that Win2X gives you less icons...it uses 32x32 icon dimensions(GMenu2X does too) and Gmenu2X reserves more space in the screen with the all-the-time-shown topbar...
Also note that installing Win2X doesn't flash your NAND...it just tweaks with the filesystem and it's not dangerous...and...a bootloader is a nice idea...Very nice indeed...
Forgot to mention...the autorun app you mentioned before is something I've already done with GMenu2X(a little app that points to GMenu2X every time you turn the system on) but I prefered this way with Win2X just to make it a permanent frontend(and more flexible) and let it handle multiple SD cards...On the other hand if I made it install to the user NAND would be the same thing as now, except that it would be visible(that's dangerous)...

I love the idea of a link to the mp3 player, and video player - that would be fantastic. In fact, other than waiting on someone porting VLC or MPlayer I think it would make it a very "complete" package. I've been playing around with it for a little while today (after my firmware re-install) and it made me realise just how far Win2X has come in an extremely short period of time.

A few things could still be done to improve it, but it's progressing very nicely. I'm still hoping to be able to associate filetypes with programs (like txt and pdf with Reader2x and it'd be excellent to associate avi's and mp3's with the internal player if that could be done).

Your work is greatly appreciated as you can see by other users interest and comments, and I hope you continue to update it to the point where I can format my PC's hard drive and stick it on there as well! I reminds me of how windows once was, how it should be, not billions of bits of flashy visuals that slow everything down. If microsoft see this they will probably want you to create the next version of Windows - if they have any sense.

I just want to say that I'm loving this frontend. I appreciate all the work that has gone into this so far. The only problem that I am having is with one program. Outcast will not work with this. It just loads a black screen. Every emu or app that I have linked works. It doesn't matter if it's on the desktop or just ran through the explorer. It will just load a black screen. I don't have any speed tweaks or anything that might interfere. Does anyone else have an issue with Outcast and using this frontend? This is a great piece of software and I will be using this from now on. Also I wanted to mention that I installed Win2X. Thanks again.

chp said:
chickendung said:
I don't even have a /lib directory. How does one come about?
You should have a lib directory in the root of the filesystem.If you use Win2X's explorer and follow the root backwards,you should have a list of
directories like bin,usr,etc...There should exist a directory named "lib".Check it out and let me know if you would...
Nope, no bin, usr, or lib folders anywhere. Does the filesystem of the SD card affect that in any way?

chp said:
Well...you forgot(once more) the desktop,which holds up different category links,the abillity to erase a desktop link without deleting the actual link(and go all over again to re-create it if you change your mind),and also that once Win2X is loaded,you have instant access to the desktop links.
If you try it yourself and create a desktop icon and then count the steps you'll find that the steps needed to launch an app are less than GMenu2X..
Also I don't understand why you're saying that Win2X gives you less icons...it uses 32x32 icon dimensions(GMenu2X does too) and Gmenu2X reserves more space in the screen with the all-the-time-shown topbar...
Also note that installing Win2X doesn't flash your NAND...it just tweaks with the filesystem and it's not dangerous...and...a bootloader is a nice idea...Very nice indeed...
Forgot to mention...the autorun app you mentioned before is something I've already done with GMenu2X(a little app that points to GMenu2X every time you turn the system on) but I prefered this way with Win2X just to make it a permanent frontend(and more flexible) and let it handle multiple SD cards...On the other hand if I made it install to the user NAND would be the same thing as now, except that it would be visible(that's dangerous)...
Well yes but this desktop only holds a few links, once you fill it you have to go back to using the start menu which then falls under what I said before. Now if the desktop could have folders on it which contain links to apps then yes it would then in that case be better than Gmenu 2x because the icon grid of catagories would be faster to navigate than the top sequential catagory bar in gmenu. I could then make folders like "games" "emus" "utilities" "Demos" etc. and have links for those in these folders meaning I would never even have to touch the start menu. But Win2X doesn't allow folders on the desktop right? or am I just missing how to make them?

Yes they both use 32 x 32 icons but Gmenu allows for more of them on screen. Gmenu has a top bar but Win2X has a bottom bar plus a small window containing the icons. Win2X only allows a total of 15 with its 3 rows of 5 because of the small window. (I still don't know the advantage of that small window or why it needs to be there and can't fill the screen, you haven't really explained that). Gmenu2x can have 4 rows of 6 which is 24 that is why I say Gmenu allows more icons because it does.

Also I think that configuration of Win2X (to add links set colors wallpaper etc. could be done by an app called "config" or similar (in a system catagory or something) that loads separately to do this as needed rather than be contained in the menu itself. The resulting settings would be stored in a text file that Win2X loads on startup. This way it wouldn't have to load all of this extra code and keyboards etc. that you only would use once in awhile. This would keep the main Win2x launcher smaller and faster loading. No mater how many features for setting things up you add the main launcher would not need to get more bloated. Just a thought.

DaveC said:
Well yes but this desktop only holds a few links...
In that aspect you are right,but you forget that Win2X is only two weeks old wich means I've been very busy adding and fixing major features...
Right now the fact is that Win2X has more pros than cons in comparison with GMenu2X but I don't very much like the comparison with it.My purpose is(and was) to make an alternative not just a copy(that would be easy and pointless).I keep improving it every day and more updates and features are to come!So you are free to use what fits better to you(as everyone else does).Thanks for your suggestions anyway.You've been very helpfull..
The other thing you mentioned:Making a seperate application is no use.First of all a seperate application requires more CPU cycles to execute and then even more cycles to load the menu back etc...It would also make the system
unstable,unpredictable and slower in some cases...and the final size of both would be the same....By embedding any feature into the program itself you make it more flexible,more "complete" and safer in use...And you are wrong...the features you are talking about are loaded ONLY when the user needs them and after that they UNLOAD of memory like never existed...

TitanUranus said:
I love the idea of a link to the mp3 player, and video player - that would be fantastic. In fact, other than waiting on someone porting VLC or MPlayer I think it would make it a very "complete" package. I've been playing around with it for a little while today (after my firmware re-install) and it made me realise just how far Win2X has come in an extremely short period of time.

A few things could still be done to improve it, but it's progressing very nicely. I'm still hoping to be able to associate filetypes with programs (like txt and pdf with Reader2x and it'd be excellent to associate avi's and mp3's with the internal player if that could be done).

Your work is greatly appreciated as you can see by other users interest and comments, and I hope you continue to update it to the point where I can format my PC's hard drive and stick it on there as well! I reminds me of how windows once was, how it should be, not billions of bits of flashy visuals that slow everything down. If microsoft see this they will probably want you to create the next version of Windows - if they have any sense.
Well Titan,it wouldn't have gone so far without the support of all of you!I really thank you since the beginning of this.
You are right about Windows...I happen to be an electronic egineer and a programmer,and I have studied Windows behavior for years now...So I know in some way how to keep a system clean by not adding garbage code in it all the time...Now...for once more you hit the "hot-spot" of me...I'm right now working an update of Win2X with some new features and fixes...but after that I really want to get on with the multimedia matter...Embedded multimedia support would be great I think...

geise69 said:
I just want to say that I'm loving this frontend. I appreciate all the work that has gone into this so far. The only problem that I am having is with one program. Outcast will not work with this. It just loads a black screen. Every emu or app that I have linked works. It doesn't matter if it's on the desktop or just ran through the explorer. It will just load a black screen. I don't have any speed tweaks or anything that might interfere. Does anyone else have an issue with Outcast and using this frontend? This is a great piece of software and I will be using this from now on. Also I wanted to mention that I installed Win2X. Thanks again.
I haven't tried outcast...I will make some tests when I can and feedback to you...Thank you very much for your good words.I'm glad to hear you liked it.

chickendung said:
chp said:
chickendung said:
I don't even have a /lib directory. How does one come about?
You should have a lib directory in the root of the filesystem.If you use Win2X's explorer and follow the root backwards,you should have a list of
directories like bin,usr,etc...There should exist a directory named "lib".Check it out and let me know if you would...
Nope, no bin, usr, or lib folders anywhere. Does the filesystem of the SD card affect that in any way?
Are you sure for that chickendug?If you open the explorer from the [system] menu then you are shown 4 folders:"sd","tmp","nand" and "ubifs".
If you go back from this point,you should see many other folders like:"bin","dev",etc",lib","mnt" etc... Did you?

Ok I tried it and it´s quite good so far. But I am also wondering if the concept of using windows on such a small screen resolution makes sense. Using only about 80% of the screen is a waste, that leaves space for quite useless information at the borders of the screen.

Ghanji said:
Ok I tried it and it´s quite good so far. But I am also wondering if the concept of using windows on such a small screen resolution makes sense. Using only about 80% of the screen is a waste, that leaves space for quite useless information at the borders of the screen.
Well...what other information do you need that is not there?Keep in mind that Win2X is intended to be a launcher and that Wiz's screen resolution is only 320x240..

chp said:
Well...what other information do you need that is not there?Keep in mind that Win2X is intended to be a launcher and that Wiz's screen resolution is only 320x240..
space for more icons... or take a look at the picture viewer, what else than fullscreen as default would make sense here?
Well basicly I agree with DaveC´s argumentation here.

Ghanji said:
chp said:
space for more icons... or take a look at the picture viewer, what else than fullscreen as default would make sense here?
Well basicly I agree with DaveC´s argumentation here.
Even if I made it fullscreen,the gain would probably be 6-7 extra icons.It's not such a big deal...It's half an extra page in the viewer...
If someone has too many icons to deal with(as DaveC) then the more reasonable solution should be to change the icons resulution to a smaller(e.g 20x20).But that would be a pain to the eyes...
And that's why I implemented the slideshow..to have a look at an image with fullscreen mode...The reason I didn't make it as default is that I wanted to give to the user the ability to just preview an image before switch it to fullscreen.That is the idea of browsing after all(to easily find what you are looking for and then make your options-like view it,delete it,copy it etc).

chp said:
Even if I made it fullscreen,the gain would probably be 6-7 extra icons.It's not such a big deal...It's half an extra page in the viewer...
If someone has too many icons to deal with(as DaveC) then the more reasonable solution should be to change the icons resulution to a smaller(e.g 20x20).But that would be a pain to the eyes...
And that's why I implemented the slideshow..to have a look at an image with fullscreen mode...The reason I didn't make it as default is that I wanted to give to the user the ability to just preview an image before switch it to fullscreen.That is the idea of browsing after all(to easily find what you are looking for and then make your options-like view it,delete it,copy it etc).

I still think having an option to view a text list of shortcuts instead of icons would be useful, a lot of software doesn't come with icons so you are looking at a page of default icons until you select them to see what they are.

For example look at some of the emulators ROM lists, you can fit a lot of text on the screen.

I have a few suggestions/bugs that I've compiled while using your new frontend. I must admit that so far I am greatly impressed, and feel that with a little polish it would be better than the default frontend.

1) Add more shortcut features to the hardware buttons. For example, I like that the X button closes the menus, the Menu button opens the start menu, the Select button, in certain menus, brings-up relevant options. However, this is not the case in the File Explorer Window, as that functionality is mapped to the Right Shoulder Button. Can you remap the Right Shoulder Button to the Select Button, that way the control is uniform across all the windows? Maybe this would free-up the left and right shoulder buttons to page-through windows where there are many icons or act as "alt-tab" if many windows are open, allowing the user to toggle windows. (If multiple windows can be opened at the same time)

2) I personally like the format of the interface right now, and don't feel that any space is being wasted by not having the windows display as full screen. What's the point of Windows without windows? But, maybe you could a button in the menu bar of each window that toggles the display between icons (i.e. Emulator Folder) and a list of files (i.e. File Explorer view).

3) I would also like to see a way to select a particular png file to be used as the shortcut icon in the Emu/App/Games folders. I know you said that you were working on this. Actually, if you would add this functionality in your next update I would install your frontend, no questions asked.

4) I've encountered an error when trying to delete files from the NAND memory. I had two files to delete (PocketSNES and ROMs). The first file deleted without any difficulty. The second file wouldn't delete, I tried two or three times, but it still appeared in the File Explorer. I tried turning my Wiz off and then on to try the delte again, but it still wouldn't work. The rename function quit working also, as it wouldn't let me rename the file.

5) This may not be possible, but when we install Win2X to our nand memory, is there anyway that you could include a few basic programs/utilities that would also install? For example, I would be satisfied with a .txt reader (helpful for those emualtor ReadMe's) and a music player (to accompany your photo viewer). Maybe these could even install shortcuts in the appropriate menus too?

6) I've encountered the intermittently working touchscreen issue also, not sure what the cause is. I know you said to post the contents of a particular folder, which I'll do shortly. However, I am more than happy using the hardware buttons to control the interface.

Thank you.

Edit: Files in my /lib folder are too numerous to list, I don't have usb functionality (faulty usb cable, waiting for replacement) - sorry.

kart_racer3 said:
I have a few suggestions/bugs that I've compiled while using your new frontend. I must admit that so far I am greatly impressed, and feel that with a little polish it would be better than the default and frontend...
First of all,nice hearing from you and thank you very much for your support. Now...
1)You are right.Key mapping can be better I'll do it to the next release(which is not far...)
2)Different icon arrangment is something that I wish to do...but for now I don't have much time as this requires much of reconstruction...
3)Custom icon selector is already implemented(along with other usefull new features) and you'll see it in the very next version.
4)I have stated before that for now,there is a bug in the copy/paste functions and it is fixed aswell(next version that too).
5)Hmmmm...nop.I intend to implement an internal reader and except that I plan to give to the user, the ability to associate file types with certain
programs in the future, himself.
6)Touchscreen issue is something that bothers me a lot.I wish I had more info on other users systems so as to fix it.
EDIT:Maybe you can open the /lib directory and write down everything you see(that would be a pain of-course...)
Anyway,I really appreciate your statements and your support.Thanks again...

Back