Win2X : Alternative Frontend

You hate windows but acknowledge using it? Sour grapes.

I think chp's interface is great and I happen to like popup windows so tastes certainly vary. I think it's great that chp has made an ALTERNATIVE to the GMenu2x approach rather than a copy and after using both I've found Win2x to be the quicker and easier to use of the two.

One thing I'm curious about is whether I can simply install newer versions as I get them or if I'll need to uninstall Win2x each time?

ProgZmax said:
You hate windows but acknowledge using it? Sour grapes.

I think chp's interface is great and I happen to like popup windows so tastes certainly vary. I think it's great that chp has made an ALTERNATIVE to the GMenu2x approach rather than a copy and after using both I've found Win2x to be the quicker and easier to use of the two.

One thing I'm curious about is whether I can simply install newer versions as I get them or if I'll need to uninstall Win2x each time?
Thank you ProgZmax!You can install Win2X over the last installation, but for safety reasons I suggest to make a clean installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...Finally we have an update of Win2X to version 1.0!Here the changes, based mostly on users feedback:
> Improved explorer.
> Explorer now supports copy/paste/delete/rename functions.
> Full image scaling support for link icons and desktop background.
> Added explorer icon database.Now each file is shown with its own filetype icon.
> Added Image Viewing support for images through explorer.
> Added Slideshow function.
> Improved system speed.
> Improved keyboard.
> Added Multiple SD support.
> Various fixes.​
From now on,the download will be available on the archive(thanks MiOdd).Many thanks goes to all of you for your support and your feedback!
See readme.txt...

Excellent news! I'll be loading it up tonight. Building on ProgZmax's question though, if I uninstall the current version in order to clean install the new one, will I loose all my current links and settings? Is there a way to transfer these settings over to each upgrade?

MiOdd said:
Excellent news! I'll be loading it up tonight. Building on ProgZmax's question though, if I uninstall the current version in order to clean install the new one, will I loose all my current links and settings? Is there a way to transfer these settings over to each upgrade?
Yes.Clean installation will make you lose your current links...but if you want to keep them,just run "install.gpe" without uninstalling first.
This will make a clean installation aswell and you'll keep your links in the sametime...
In the next version I'll include an upgrade script aswell...

chp said:
Yes.Clean installation will make you lose your current links...but if you want to keep them,just run "install.gpe" without uninstalling first.
Wait a tic. Is that safe? Just a few posts ago you said we should uninstall first for safety concerns.

chp said:
Thank you ProgZmax!You can install Win2X over the last installation, but for safety reasons I suggest to make a clean installation.

After testing I found that uninstalling doesn't delete the links you make (they're stored in the Links folder in Win2x). Since Win2x starts out with an empty Links folder it's safe to just copy over the whole thing and re-install. All my links are still working :).

One thing I noticed is that deleted files aren't updated in the explorer even after you close and re-open it so the files don't appear to have been deleted. Aside from that this new version is great!

Greetings,

I just discovered and installed version 1.0 of Win2X and so far I am very pleased with it. I only have two questions:

1) How can I change the image of my shortcut icons? (i.e. In the emulator folder)
2) Will Win2X auto-launch when exiting an application/emulator?

Thank you very much.

MiOdd said:
Wait a tic. Is that safe? Just a few posts ago you said we should uninstall first for safety concerns.
Yes,I said you should,in case you don't want to keep the old settings and for compatibility issues(in case I change something vital in Win2X's structure in the future).But right now it doesn't matter if you install over the old version.

ProgZmax said:
After testing I found that uninstalling doesn't delete the links you make (they're stored in the Links folder in Win2x). Since Win2x starts out with an empty Links folder it's safe to just copy over the whole thing and re-install. All my links are still working :) .

One thing I noticed is that deleted files aren't updated in the explorer even after you close and re-open it so the files don't appear to have been deleted. Aside from that this new version is great!
Unistalling doesn't delete the links in the SD folder of Win2X, but I must state that if you install Win2X,it doesn't load from the SD anymore(and you can delete SD folder of Win2X aswell).
About deleted files...thanks for reporting this because it works fine for me(deleted files don't show up).Could you please tell me what kind of file(s) exactly did you try to delete?

kart_racer3 said:
Greetings,

I just discovered and installed version 1.0 of Win2X and so far I am very pleased with it. I only have two questions:

1) How can I change the image of my shortcut icons? (i.e. In the emulator folder)
2) Will Win2X auto-launch when exiting an application/emulator?

Thank you very much.
Nice to hear you liked it.
1) When you create a link Win2X searches for a png file in the same folder as the target file,with the same name(e.g for an application named "app.gpe" it will search in the same folder for an "app.png").If a png file with the same name as the executable,doesn't exist,then Win2X will load and show a generic icon for that link.
For now,you can only change this manually(by changing the "app.png" file).But in the next version I will include a custom icon selector for links aswell...
2)If you run "Win2X.gpe" then no.If you run "install.gpe" then Win2X becomes the primary frontend and loads automatically on power-on or after exiting any application.

chickendung said:
Am I the only one still having issues with the touchscreen on this? Does someone need to see my Wiz setup to see what the problem is?
As I asked on a previous post...it would be very helpfull if you could make a list with the contents of your "/lib" directory.I suspect that some files may be missing...

I don't have a Wiz so can't be much use, but I just a quick idea to try and resolve the touchscreen issue (or rather to get the info you need). You could include some option somewhere in your program that will dump all the data you need (such as contents of the /lib) into a txt file and get users to copy/paste the contents of that here. You could also make it dump other info into the file, like firmware version, etc.
It should make it easier for users to provide you with the data to look into this current problem and could prove useful for you (and other developers) in the future for troubleshooting other problems.
Or maybe something like this would be more suited to a dedicated, seperate app...

Thanks for the updated release.

Is it possbile to switch to the oringial frontend under Win2X (installed)? I tried to locate an answer to this in the readme file but seems it's not mentioned (or I missed it?).

chp said:
Yes,I said you should,in case you don't want to keep the old settings and for compatibility issues(in case I change something vital in Win2X's structure in the future).But right now it doesn't matter if you install over the old version.
Thanks Chp, haven't fooled around with the new version too much yet, but I installed it over the previous one and all my links remained and I was smart enough to load up the wallpaper folder before installing so I have all my custom walls now too. yay :rolleyes:

chickendung said:
Am I the only one still having issues with the touchscreen on this? Does someone need to see my Wiz setup to see what the problem is?
My touchscreen is still messed up too. It registers some things but not others. idk, I just ignore it because I prefer the d-pad.

difuno said:
Is it possbile to switch to the oringial frontend under Win2X (installed)? I tried to locate an answer to this in the readme file but seems it's not mentioned (or I missed it?).
Yes. Click the menu button and under settings there is an icon to load the original frontend. This option will only work if Win2x is installed though.

Thanks MiOdd for your quick reply!

Seems there's still some problem with the touch screen and this problem is not related to any specific version of the Wiz firwmare? So I might still stand a good chance of not being able to tap on the screen to make selections/run programs even if I get this latest release of Win2X installed?

Ok I tested this.

Questions though. Is this comatible with all firmwares? Some still use an older version as it boots faster. Will/could this brick older firmware Wizzes? Will some apps that use most of the system memory (NeoGeo with large ROMs etc) have problems when using this or will this unload from memory after the app starts? Will this cause any emulators to run a bit slower, is this using CPU cycles while an app is running?

Also some minor things to note, blue is the worst color for OLED displays. Blue tends to wear fastest (chance for image burn) and it uses more power. Also white (window backgrounds) uses even more battery. Everything in this app is either blue or white. A power save/anti burn skin could be included. Red and green last longer for colors and of course black the longest.

Couldn't the window background color be chosen? I would like to be able to set to be black if possible (icons stand out more with more contrast, lower power,less screen wear, etc).

Couldn't the window fill the screen more? This would allow for more icons to be displayed. This would help with less scrolling around. Some of us do have allot of apps. Right now there is just alot of wasted space around the window for no good reason. It would be better to be able to use it.

We should be able to add/change catagories, not all needed ones are included. Even if it amounts to editing a text file or adding a directory on the card that corresponds to a catagory it would be better to be able to do. You could do that in Gmenu2X.

Are subdirectories possible? So if you are in "Games" could you have folders in there such as "FPS", "Fighting", "Platform" Etc?

MiOdd said:
Yes. Click the menu button and under settings there is an icon to load the original frontend. This option will only work if Win2x is installed though.
Now it works even if Win2X is not installed.I'll make a dump script for anyone who wants to help me solve the TS issue...

DaveC said:
Ok I tested this...
1. It is supposed to be compatible even though I haven't tested it.You can test it out by yourself.Just run Win2X.gpe.If it loads then it's OK.No brick chance for older Wizzes.
2. When you launch an app, Win2X unloads from memory COMPLETELY(no RAM,no CPU cycles etc).It's a frontend after all,not a firmware...
3. I'll include skinning in some next version..
4. Subdirectories sounds good too...

Back