Will this thing Stream Steam Games?

ethereal

So will I be able to stream games from my pc to a pyra and play reliably like with the nvidia shield?

Well, if the client is available and Wifi is good. Why not?

The client is x86 only, as far as I know. However it's basically just a glorified video player so it may be possible to run through QEMU or Exagears.

If it was x86 only it would not work on the shield.

I thought the nVidia streaming was something for and by nVidia and not actually related to Steam, like it worked with everything, not just Steam games.

And even if it weren't the case, even if it was tied to Steam, what ekianjo said: that'd be nVidia's property which I'm pretty sure we can't use.

edit: I've had a VERY brief look, the Steam streaming doesn't appear to be encrypted in any way, it's just an h264 stream with some additional i/o commands: some resourceful person could probably reverse engineer the packets without too much difficulty. Fortunately, it looks like someone already did: doing some additional googling, there's limelight which implements the Steam streaming protocol entirely open source. It should hypothetically be possible to port it to the Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: I've had a VERY brief look, the Steam streaming doesn't appear to be encrypted in any way, it's just an h264 stream with some additional i/o commands: some resourceful person could probably reverse engineer the packets without too much difficulty. Fortunately, it looks like someone already did: doing some additional googling, there's limelight which implements the Steam streaming protocol entirely open source. It should hypothetically be possible to port it to the Pyra.
Limelight implements NVIDIA's GameStream protocol, as the big text on your linked website says. While it might be possible to port this, it's not steam in-home streaming and it's limited to Windows PCs with nvidea gpu as host.

I too would like to know about proper Steam streaming, and not this NVIDIA specific stuff.

Back