Installing/Using WINE on the Pyra!

I will be sure to keep all these things in mind when the time comes. How is the Pi 3 version of ExaGear in terms of performance just out of curiosity? If it's decent I might consider getting a license for my Pi 3 also?
Not too good, even simple 2D games like Kings Quest VGA lagged quite a lot for me.
I was using ExaGear + Wine mainly to play some old flash games and it played them about the speed of my early 2000s PC only to realise the Raspberry Pi the whole time supported native flash player in chromium.
So now I only use ExaGear + Wine for old software or converters etc. I don't use it at all for games.

Exagear run not that Bad on the Pandora.
I have some Exagear Videos from the Ghz Pandora on my Youtubeaccount.
Just see in the Forum Signature and with Patience you will get many Thing run on the Pandora with Wine and Exagear.

But only 2D Things..i was never able to use 3D Accelleration with my Tests.

Search for words like :
Exagear,
X86,
Wine,
..on my YT Account and be surprised what your Pandora can do :D

I don't know how QEMU displays things, but I remember that running BOCHS with Win3.11 was terribly slow even on fast PCs. The problem was not the CPU, emulated or real, but virtual VGA giving maximum 10-15fps. If QEMU does similar thing instead of "borrowing" WINE's drawing functions, I can't imagine using simple old Windows graphics software, playing any games would be quite frustrating.

I don't fully understand how they've done it, but some of the Pandora ports have been using Qemu with Wine and glshim/gl4es, so I think that should be okay on Pyra too.

Qemu from what I understand is still considerable slower than Exagear. My old devboard videos shows NeverWinter nights just about playable on the OMAP5 without working 3D rendering. X86 Linux version of Unreal Tournament is fully playable at native resolution with just software rendering.

I'm really curious about the possibilities of exagear.

Searching on youtube tests ran on rpi, odroid, and android phones ... performance seems pretty lame. I mean tests on Pyra showed better results, even against phones supposedly better. I wonder why the difference.

@asimov-solensan well Raspberry Pi 3s processor is fairly weak even being 64bit and more cores, just feels slightly faster than the 1GHz Pandora... For the other oDroid and smartphones Android is pretty bloated were the debian on the Pyra is extremely light in comparison. Lot of wasted cycles that can be put to better use.

I'm really curious about the possibilities of exagear.

Searching on youtube tests ran on rpi, odroid, and android phones ... performance seems pretty lame. I mean tests on Pyra showed better results, even against phones supposedly better. I wonder why the difference.

I'm aware of all this but still the difference surprises me. If we get hardware acceleration at some point and games from early to mid 00's became playable I will be the happiest man on earth. Or at least I will have a good time playing some of my favourite games.

Thanks for your answer by the way.

Would it be possible after the Pyra is released to port Silent Hill 2/Silent Hill 3 and possibly Silent Hill 4 to the Pyra or would it be out of the question? Would ExaGear running Wine on the Pyra give decent results for mid 2000's or older games? Of course if someone ports Moonlight to the Pyra, that would work too. :)

Would ExaGear running Wine on the Pyra give decent results for mid 2000's or older games?
Likely not, emulating x86 is fairly taxing on the CPU. I could get some games running from the mid 2000s, but that was likely the newest I could get. of course there have been some new games that have lower required specs that could likely run well.

I think, if I remember correctly, that the requirements for Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 for PC had reasonable specs for the time so they might be doable on the Pyra. I think even the specs for Silent Hill 4 on the PC had reasonable specs as well. If anything, maybe we'll see Moonlight ported to the Pyra at some point, which I'd also be okay with. :)

Best Regards,
Justin

I think, if I remember correctly, that the requirements for Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 for PC had reasonable specs for the time so they might be doable on the Pyra. I think even the specs for Silent Hill 4 on the PC had reasonable specs as well. If anything, maybe we'll see Moonlight ported to the Pyra at some point, which I'd also be okay with. :)

Best Regards,
Justin
Last time I checked (and ported it on the Pandora), requirement for moonlight were pretty thin, with just GLES2, ffmpeg and a few c++ stuffs, so it should not be an issue to port.

That's good to hear that it shouldn't be hard to port it to the Pyra. Thanks to you and others in the community, we'll have some really awesome stuff come to the Pyra when it gets released. Thank you for all your hard work with porting things to the Open Pandora and I look forward to the things that you and the other developers come up with in the future. I also want to thank Mr. Mrozek and everyone involved with helping make the Pyra a success and I very much look forward to the release of it. Have a good day! :)

Best Regards,
Justin

@Vardius yeah moonlight should be good and the Pyra will likely have a lot better WIFI speeds than the Pandora. I did play with running Exagear and Linux x86 Steam and it's streaming features, but it didn't seem to run too well, not sure how much of that was the lack of working 3D acceleration at the time as MESA with slow software rendering was trying to fill in the gap.

@Vardius yeah moonlight should be good and the Pyra will likely have a lot better WIFI speeds than the Pandora. I did play with running Exagear and Linux x86 Steam and it's streaming features, but it didn't seem to run too well, not sure how much of that was the lack of working 3D acceleration at the time as MESA with slow software rendering was trying to fill in the gap.

Is anyone actively working on the 3D acceleration?

> Is anyone actively working on the 3D acceleration?

I implemented "remote" rendering compatible with both exagear and qemu years ago in glshim. glshim+WINE doesn't fully work for me which would probably be a few weeks of work (or pulling some code from gl4es)

Is anyone actively working on the 3D acceleration?
3D acceleration has been working for a while now, just not back when I was doing all those Exagear tests. It's also not working in the latest test kernel, from what it sounds like it's fairly trivial to compile the support in, However there is still an issue with it working when screen rotation is enabled which is needed on the Pyra. That part still needs to be worked on.

Last edited:
I've tested ExaGear with my prototype a little.
So far I'm disappointed.
I've tried VisualStudio Code and it is unusable slow.

I don't know what's the reason. Maybe my setup is missing something important.

Back