Asus Nexus 7 - Google Jelly Bean

Well, as mentioned, I've only used Gingerbread on the Pandora and N900 so far, I thought smoothness would simply be a CPU/GPU issue here.

But I haven't found much difference in usability or functionality comparing both versions.

BTW: I don't care about smooth animations as well. I turn them off on any PC I got, I don't want animated windows and stuff like that, so this is probably something you should ask me about ;) )

Well, as mentioned, I've only used Gingerbread on the Pandora and N900 so far, I thought smoothness would simply be a CPU/GPU issue here.

But I haven't found much difference in usability or functionality comparing both versions.

BTW: I don't care about smooth animations as well. I turn them off on any PC I got, I don't want animated windows and stuff like that, so this is probably something you should ask me about ;) )

The new Jellybean release is pretty damn good. It's hardware excel'ed and vsynced and lower lantency in the core. so every single application regardless of design will work better by default. and applications designed for it are even better :)

I mean, a smartphone is a smartphone. but this is the first android release that feels like it's been polished.

The smoothness is less bouncing and more delay between finger moving to screen updating.

Regardless, one of the reasons I really want to see both an android on the pandora(2) and full linux desktop is the fact most android applications are built with size constraints as an expectation and these applications are optimised for the 5" screen. Firefox is not designed for the pandora screen.. but the android version likely is :)

I mean, I doubt I'll spent 5% of my time IN android mode, but I can't wait to take advantage of the android environment to check my gmail account or use google maps.

if you dont care about them goto Settings/Dev Options and turn off the Window/Transition/Animator animations. Watch stuff pop up instantly without any fancy animations.

Download ES File Explorer, it'll allow you to connect/browse a network drive aswell as Google Drive/Dropbox etc.

I already rooted it to be able to do a CIFS connection.

My videos are all on a network server, so that works.

Now I'm looking for a proper audio player with database... Something like Clementine or Amarok would rock, is other something similar?

I'm also for a player for SID, SFC, GYM, etc.

Still enjoying my Nexus 7.

Found that Wiimote Controller app is a nice easy way to pair your N7 with a Wii Remote, it does not recognise my Classic controller Pro but plays fine with a wiimote & nunchuck. Lots of games recognise the wii controls out of the box.

Using a USB Otg adapter works with the stock rom out of the box for connecting a Keyboard / Mouse / Gamepad. To connect a USB drive / Card reader requires a rooted device & something like stickmount.

Still enjoying my Nexus 7.

Found that Wiimote Controller app is a nice easy way to pair your N7 with a Wii Remote, it does not recognise my Classic controller Pro but plays fine with a wiimote & nunchuck. Lots of games recognise the wii controls out of the box.

Using a USB Otg adapter works with the stock rom out of the box for connecting a Keyboard / Mouse / Gamepad. To connect a USB drive / Card reader requires a rooted device & something like stickmount.

I didn't think OTG worked for controllers on the Nexus 7, thats excellent news. Damn I just bought a new MP3 player or I'd go and get one.

Something else to add to the wishlist.

Is there a special trick using the Google Play Marketplace?

I want to look for puzzle games, but the only two categories I can find in Google Play is "Apps" and "Games".

Are there no subcategories? Do I really have to browse thousands of games at once? :eek:

Swipe right or left ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you hit that furthest left most pane under Apps, where all the categories are listed ... you select the category you want... 'comics' for example

...then you can swipe to the side some more to sort by 'Top Paid', 'Top Free', 'Top Grossing', 'Top New Paid', 'Top New Free'.

That's your lot though, don;t think you can sort beyond that.

There is no meta tags, but you can search for keywords

For example searching puzzle games will return stuff like sodoku and tetris and word search and stuff of that nature

Rpg will return stuff like zenonia and pocket legends and stuff like that.

But yea, no defined genres except for general catagories, unless its in the description you cant too granular with it

Thanks. Now... sort order?

Considering that google is all about search & organising data it's pretty amazing how difficult it is to find & order the stuff you want on the Play store. Huge credit to milkshake that the Pandora repo is a far superior to the Play store for this sort of thing. :)

Finally found a half decent file manager : solid explorer

I've recently ordered one & was wondering if anyone knew if you can tether to your phone & do some mobile browsing..?

Also anyone got Zen Pinball, does it run OK..?

Tethering with my HTC Desire via the phone's wifi hotspot mode works fine, I'd imagine internet sharing via bluetooth would also work but I've not tried that.

Pleased to report that Zen pinball runs like a dream, only tried the free table though. The Pinball arcade runs really well too.

Tethering with my HTC Desire via the phone's wifi hotspot mode works fine, I'd imagine internet sharing via bluetooth would also work but I've not tried that.

Pleased to report that Zen pinball runs like a dream, only tried the free table though. The Pinball arcade runs really well too.

Cheers for that, hopefully the tethering will work OK on my Xperia Pro.. woo hoo for Zen Pinball, probably going to be the first thing I install.

Considering that google is all about search & organising data it's pretty amazing how difficult it is to find & order the stuff you want on the Play store. Huge credit to milkshake that the Pandora repo is a far superior to the Play store for this sort of thing. :)

Zen pinball is my favourite game at the moment, controls are brill unit does get a bit hot playing this game tho

Zen pinball is my favourite game at the moment, controls are brill unit does get a bit hot playing this game tho

I'm a big pinball fan & Zen Pinball is definitely one of the better ones, apparently it only has 3 tables at the moment.. hopefully it will get more soon even if they are the same ones from the PS3/360 versions.

Back