Why Did You Get A Gp2x?

Shadowsithe said:
Dude, I got it for the chicks.
I was about to say that too.
Then I saw that it doesn't work with chicks so I managed to play retro games and homebrew with it.
Until I found a girl that was actually interested in it. She is now my girl. So I can say it is a great soulmate detector :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I got a GP32. I wanted to support it because it was not the popular shit but the community and homebrew development spirit was what I liked into it. And then I saw there was a small demoscene in it and thought it would be cool to try code some demos for it.

Later as the GP2X came out and saw the community moving to it, also thinking it's a better idea to support the new hardware with new software, I simply made the transition. I see also now that the demoscene in GP2X even if still small maybe will be more into it because GP2X is a bit more famous than it's predecesor (Several scene friends bought it when I showed it to them and some of my Linux freak friends too, funny they weren't interested about the emulators rather than that they can run sterm and do stuff! I don't remember any of my geek friends buying the GP32 when I first showed them that in the past. Now there is more interest for some reasons). Hopefully there will be a bigger demoscene in it even though sometimes I doubt it.

Well, there are few things I disliked in GP2X and I still discover I love my GP32 more.

For example I still play emulators on the GP32 because in the GP2X the batteries empty after 2+ hours. I have found myself enjoying emulators and homebrew games in GP32 for 5 hours or so while I only fire up an emulator on GP2X just to show to people what is possible. At least the GP2X has playable MAME, GBA, Amiga (Yum Yum!!!) and SNES that the GP32 didn't have but who cares when after 2 hours it all fades out (and maybe less if I need to overclock it in 266Mhz for these emulators to be a bit faster). So my GP32 is still my ultimate choice for Master System, NES, Gameboy, C64 even AtariST or Mega Drive which are impressive. Actually my great worry is why there was never a fast enough Amstrad CPC emulator in either GP32 or GP2X? When I moved to GP2X I thought, finally more processing power to see CPC (which didn't need that processing power to emulate) and they ported Caprice32 which was slower than Pituka instead of porting Pituka. Nobody cares about the CPC :(
I wish I had time to port Pituka or try to optimize what is there in GP32 or GP2X.

Oh I got out of subject.

So:
1) community
2) development
3) demos
4) emulators (I prefer GP32 for this still)
5) homebrew games (I like only few of them)

Optimus said:
When I moved to GP2X I thought, finally more processing power to see CPC (which didn't need that processing power to emulate) and they ported Caprice32 which was slower than Pituka instead of porting Pituka. Nobody cares about the CPC :(
Everybody (me) care about the cpc. The last build of Caprice2x isn't that bad and KaosOverride is working at his speed. The last message from him was about him having no more internet so... I think it will be done.
Wait and pray the almighty Croco :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the thought of beeing an "open" device.

Also I love to get gadgets that nobody has...
Well nobody I know has it, so I bought it... just like a few friends of mine after I bought.

And Love to play SNES :)

I brought it because i have too much money :rolleyes: , I`ve also got the money ready in-hand for the updated GP2x that Craigix keeps hinting at. :p

Oh dear, What to spend it on next. The pressures of life are to much. :D

Trooper

I'm buying it for reading mangas and playing old rpg games via emulation of nes,snes,genesis.

Portable MAME - that has been my dream since I got my first portable video-capable device, the original JukeBox Multimedia 020 (1.84" diagonal screen, DivX/MP3 capable, 20Gb HDD, weighing in at just under a pound. Loved it!)

Then I got (and still have and love) my Archos PMA, the JBMM's long-sought successor (talk about surfing on the go, simple-sweet!), and I wanted it SOO badly to play emulators. But, after a crushingly disapointing turnout of a GB and SNES emu on the PMA, I was directed to the GP2X.

Since I had known about the GP32 but was never very interested mostly because of the pitifully small RAM capacity, the GP2X seemed like it's time was right. And boy, was it ever!

I do love my GP2X. MAME rocks, CPS2emu is God. Street Fighter in my pocket, I have died and gone to heaven.

Back