How To Brick Your Gp2x 100%

For about 5 minutes I thought I had just bricked my GP2X. I got a new SD card in the post today (one of those cheap 1GB ones from 7dayshop) and decided to update to cramfs. Before I installed cramfs I thought it would be an excellent idea to flash u-boot with art103's using my untested SD card. I first flashed the kernal, which went without a problem and then decided to do u-boot. I turned the GP2X, selected "Update Firmware" it stuck on the Updating... screen. I left it about 7 minutes and then decided to just turn it off.
When I turned it back on I was greated with lines and then suddenly the blue screen popped up and all was well :D

This was all done using batteries that have been in the GP2X for about 4 days.

I'm one lucky git ;)

Edit: 11 second boot time from moving the power switch 4tw :D

OK, I'm off to building a JTAG interface. I will let you know if it works out, and eventually I might also write a small tutorial for the wiki ;)

EvilDragon posted on Mar 28 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
CRP posted on Mar 28 2006 at 03:02 PM said:
Have looked around a bit trying to get a hang of this JTAG thingie. Apparently there is no ultimate JTAG4GP2X howto.

There is.
Look here: Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
stinch posted on Mar 28 2006 at 07:06 PM said:
I've tried with many cards without luck as well. Is there anyway to flash ART103's U-Boot without good card? I have a serial cable as well if that helps.

If anybody cares I managed to do this today. Found the kernal image in /dev/mtdblock/1
Used dd to overwrite it with art103's kernel relocated u-boot. That didn't quite work, u-boot complained of a checksum error when loading the kernel and droped me into a prompt.
I then downloaded the image via serial using the instructions on art103's page, rebooted and it worked.
Now I don't have to continue the search for a card the original u-boot will init.

Success!!! I've been able to unbrick my dead GP2X with a selfbuilt JTAG interface, following the instructions mentioned here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25615&hl=

I used a gph tv-out cable and added the jtag cable by connecting the appropriate pins. The only problems was that the pins of that particular connector are mapped differently from what the wiki says, so I had to figure them out by myself. Would have been an easy task if that damn connector weren't that small...

Anyhow, now everything works, and I have my GP2X back with art's uboot and cramfs ;)

CRP posted on Mar 28 2006 at 08:21 AM said:
whiskthecat posted on Mar 28 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
Are you sure the batteries are good?

It is connected to a 30A PSU set at 3V with correct polarity...

:blink: 30 Amps?! :blink:

Epicenter posted on Apr 4 2006 at 01:47 AM said:
30 amps at 3V isn't really that much power. (90 watts.) You'll see about that much on your average PC PSU from the 3.3v rail ...

Yeah, but it just seems awful... wasteful.

Though I suppose the wall-wart on that SOB could save him on heating bills in the winter. :)

GeminiDomino posted on Apr 4 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
Epicenter posted on Apr 4 2006 at 01:47 AM said:
30 amps at 3V isn't really that much power. (90 watts.) You'll see about that much on your average PC PSU from the 3.3v rail ...

Yeah, but it just seems awful... wasteful.

Though I suppose the wall-wart on that SOB could save him on heating bills in the winter. :)
I just have this 30A 0-30V Daiwa regulted PSU sitting around, so I used it for everything ;)

CRP posted on Mar 28 2006 at 08:59 AM said:
1) Buy a 4GB Adata SD card on eBay
2) Try it on your PC, and notice that somehow it doesn't work
3) Ask yourself "Will it work on the GP2X?"
4) Answer your question by inserting the Sd into the GP2X
5) Turn it on
6) stare in horror at a screen saying "firmware update in progress"
7) panic and turn off the unit

now you can enjoy lots of white screens alternated by color-bars

:(

any clues on what to do, besides sending back the unit?
I did the same thing :/. Dont know what i was thinking.

CRP posted on Apr 1 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
Success!!! I've been able to unbrick my dead GP2X with a selfbuilt JTAG interface, following the instructions mentioned here:

I used a gph tv-out cable and added the jtag cable by connecting the appropriate pins. The only problems was that the pins of that particular connector are mapped differently from what the wiki says, so I had to figure them out by myself. Would have been an easy task if that damn connector weren't that small...

Anyhow, now everything works, and I have my GP2X back with art's uboot and cramfs ;)

So any chance of sharing those updated pinouts? (The wiki still says its wrong)

I am very sorry, but I just scratched the required pinouts on a piece of paper while building the interface, and that piece of paper is lost :(

What I did was take the pinout from this page

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT_Port

and look for the correct pins on the back with a tester...

Sorry I can not help more than this...

GeminiDomino posted on May 24 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
CRP posted on Apr 1 2006 at 03:34 PM said:

So any chance of sharing those updated pinouts? (The wiki still says its wrong)

Back