who wants to take up porting this n64 emulator to the pandora?

Well, good chunks of that is written in assembly (parts of the rendering, parts of the dynarec, etc, etc...) so that will be long....

the daedalusx64 for psp is starting to run very well any chance of some one up to porting this to the Pandora? It runs mario kart on full speed without sound on a 333 mhz psp. even zelda is almost at playable speeds when your not in temples.

http://sourceforge.n...ts/daedalusx64/
At least for me, "no sound" does not count. ;)

It should be way faster than mupen
I can't imagine that, Mupen 64 already scratches on the bare metal of the Pandora, at least so it feels. ^^ But of course, if this Emulator is "better" (faster without loosing compatibility or producing more graphic bugs) then I would try it.

Is it using both CPU's on the PSP (I believe its dual, might be the NDS I'm thinking of tho)? Also, is it using the GPU? How many MIPS is the PSP CPU capable of per Mhz? You can't compare CPU's from different architectures by Mhz (or same for that matter).

I somehow don't think a 1 Ghz Cortex A8 has the same power as 25% of a 2 Ghz i3 (2 core so /2)

Last edited by a moderator:
that is true i need to look at the emulation methods again. this emulator is build for speed not accuracy as there is missing bend modes and some outher issues

Daedalus is tailored only for psp assembly. Sure the psp is a weaker system then the pandora, however, with out psp emulation, this will have to be written to be tailored to the pandora assembly. So, In the end, if it is 100% ported, you would essentially written an entire emulator in assembly, not an easy task.

if its so much better, how come every time a n64 emu shows up for an arm device, its a port of mupen with ari64's dynarec?

Well please consider that the PSPs hardware connectivity is a lot "closer" than that of the Pandora OS..

Allowing for more time effective rendering than, for example, ogles.

Im also unsure to what extend true multithreading is possible on the Pandora.. but on Psp, audio work can easily be offloaded to the Me chip.

Those things give psp a slight advantage over pandora that our pandora can only make up to with raw horsepower.

Someone please correct me if im wrong.

isnt it possable to do the same if we get a kernal updae to enable the dsp core?

Everything is possible, but a lot of work for hobbyist developers.

As said, porting and rewriting all the mips assembly would be very slow and you would essentially nd up with a new emulator.

It is the same problem like with zsnes. Port it, it is faaaast, but oops it is all x86 specific stuff. ;)

well we do have the DSP available to us now (with an add on) so it could be doable but i doubt its a simple port.

As it has been said multiple times PSP has low level GPU access possible and that helps N64 emulation tremendously (and PSX too for that matter). Sony published that information to the licensed devs to get most out of the machine, and that information has been leaked to, or has been reverse engineered by homebrew people, so it can be used in projects like Daedalus.

Meanwhile Pandora's GPU can only be accessed through GLES, and this is not that good for emulation of other GPUs. Following desktop graphics traditions it's maker, ImgTec, is not publishing low level information because it thinks it's their trade secret and revealing this will benefit their competitors.

Porting daedalusx64 as-is to pandora (or any other ARM device) is not possible not only because of MIPS code, but also because pandora doesn't have PSP's GPU. If you replace the MIPS code with ARM and PSP GPU code with GLES, it's unlikely you'll get anything better than Mupen64plus.

Also, I belive the fact that the PSP and N64 both use MIPS proccessors it makes it easier to emulate the system.

As it has been said multiple times PSP has low level GPU access possible and that helps N64 emulation tremendously (and PSX too for that matter). Sony published that information to the licensed devs to get most out of the machine, and that information has been leaked to, or has been reverse engineered by homebrew people, so it can be used in projects like Daedalus.
So no "accidently" leaked full OMAP 3530 Hardware specs out there yet? ;) And if so, would this really help to make better Software? I just mean, everything is leaked today...maybe if we are lucky... :rolleyes:

How is actualy the ARM Assembler situation at the Moment on the Pandora? Do devs use it? Can they use it at all and would it make sense to use it? I don't hear much about on the general ARM OMAP front.

Back