Who Likes The Wii

Yrx said:
DCGM: Bias is how you perceive something. Even if you own a Wii, that doesn't mean you like it. Don't hide behind logical fallacies and snobbery. If you don't like it, just say so. :lol:
Your definition of bias is fairly accurate, but the thing is, I am entitled to my fair opinion since I own-- and subsequently play-- all 3 consoles. I'm sorry people are perturbed by people talking smack about the Wii. What you need to realize is that I don't hate the Wii, by any means. I think that unlike the gamecube, it has some potential. I just despise the direction in which nintendo is taking it. Comprende?

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity: You're right and wrong. No, it hasn't done anything revolutionary. But you can't just blame motion controls for shovelware. PS2 had plenty of that, every generation has a system with that issue. It all has to do with the popularity of the system. And since Wii is also cheaper to develop for (and people continue to geta way with crap graphics), it's an easy choice for people trying to make a quick buck.

I wasn't really blaming motion controls for shovelware. imo it's Nintendo setting a bad example that has done the most damage, with half baked rubbish like brain training setting off the rollercoaster. The PS2 had shovelware, but it wasn't as widespread and deliberate as it is now on Wii.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Yrx said:
DCGM: Bias is how you perceive something. Even if you own a Wii, that doesn't mean you like it. Don't hide behind logical fallacies and snobbery. If you don't like it, just say so. :lol:
Your definition of bias is fairly accurate, but the thing is, I am entitled to my fair opinion since I own-- and subsequently play-- all 3 consoles. I'm sorry people are perturbed by people talking smack about the Wii. What you need to realize is that I don't hate the Wii, by any means. I think that unlike the gamecube, it has some potential. I just despise the direction in which nintendo is taking it. Comprende?

I knew this arguement had gotten off course. This is pretty much my view too, the Wii has potential but it just isn't using it.

BTW I'm not into the whole arguing on a forum and writing huge posts thing, so most of the time I just sit these things out. It is just the Special Olympics after all ;).

@ Yrx - It's not that I don't know what to do in the last level of Zack and Wiki. It's just I can't do what is needed to be done. The bit I can't do is when the mech thing shoots the 4 mummies and you have to itemise the pirates and plug the holes. But how can you do that with the 4 mummies coming at you ship as everytime you shoot at one, thats it for that one until you reload it. I may try it again but it got really frustrating trying to do that.

And yes Twilight Princess is better on the GC. You've become mixed up. Combos are harder to hit on the Wii. With the GC it was simply hit the buttons and it happened. The swinging of the Wiimote made it kinda hard to get combos off. And graphically, the GC version is better. Trust me. Everything just looked that little bit sharper when I played through it on there. The rupees also had an extra shine to them, almost neon like that is non-existant in the Wii version.

But yeh. It's not a huge bash on the Wii. It's the truth really. There has been nothing that has moved the console and its potential and I'm not sure we will see anything do it anytime soon. Just look at the DS. It took until Phantom Hourglass to come out to show the real potential of the machine, both visually and in innovation.

On another note, anyone tried any of the WiiWare stuff? If you haven't, give LostWinds a try because it's fantastic. That is the kind of game that I'd like to see more of on the Wii (which is ironic because they're already making a sequel). Toki Tori is also good as well.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Yrx said:

I really don't understand this argument.

How is the direction any different to what we saw with the GC, and even the N64?

So far on the Wii we've had an 'adult-graphics' Zelda for all the crying teenagers who felt silly playing WindWaker, a brilliant Metroid game, a decent Fire Emblem title for fans of that sort of thing, the best Mario game in a decade, and a Mario Kart with 12 player online. Not to mention Brawl.

Just for starters. So we've already had a selection of first party games to rival what the N64 got in its lifetime.

Then, we've got the new style games which cater for a new/open minded audience. Stuff like Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc. Good fun basically. Both sorts of games can coexist.

I mean just compare it to the PS3; what's the best exclusive available for that platform; Ratchet and Clank?

This is going no where.

The Wii does have a shovelware problem. That article is pretty hard to dispute, although one thing I'd like to see brought into the stats there is the actual number of games for each platform, and then those divided up by the reviews. There might only be 3% in the highest bracket - but how many games is that. 3% of Wii games might be (and I stress *might* I don't have the data to back it up or dispute it) 3 times as many 360 games with that same rating - or it might be half as many. I don't know.

Regardless, if half the games are crap that's way too many.

However, third party development is really up to that third party. It's not Nintendo's fault.

There's another aspect to the Wii that's getting ignored here. And that's multiplayer.

I was onboard with Xbox at the height of the Halo Lan party mania. Those were good times. Hauling your
Xbox over to your buddy's house - the one who has the 60" Plasma, a few other big screens - and getting 4 Xboxes hooked up so you and 15 other guys can kill each other over and over again with high powered alien technology for hours on end. It's great stuff.

However, those frag fest are a pain in the ass to coordinate, and I don't know anybody anymore that has 4 big screen TVs - nor do I know 15 guys in the area that want to play 8 hours of Halo anymore. Multiplayer on 360 and PS3 looks suspiciously like one dude sitting alone on a couch screaming profanity into a headset.

Multiplayer on the Wii looks like a group of friends playing games. You know, bowling, shooting darts, playing tennis, dancing. And, it's a multi-gender event. The Halo nights were the men downstairs in the den, the wives/gfs upstairs watching a chick flick. Game night with the Wii means you might actually see a woman, and she will be laughing and having fun just like everybody else.

And, after all, isn't that what a video *GAME* is supposed to be? Fun? I have more fun losing at Mario Kart (because I suck at Wii Wheel driving) than I ever did staring at the uber realistic scenery of Gran Turismo, with its dead-on physics, actual cars, and GPS-accurate city streets.

declaration said:
I mean just compare it to the PS3; what's the best exclusive available for that platform; Ratchet and Clank?
Uncharted, actually. But like chad said, this isn't going anywhere. Close it up?

edit: OP doesn't seem to post much. I wonder if he did this for laughs, knowing it would turn into another console battle?

Back