Which distro to use? (Poll)

Which distro(s) are you completely against using?

• Android (Very user-friendly, good app support, large userbase, but not a "full" version of

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BSD (Low support, few packages, bad ARM support)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I have not much clue baout Linux Distros, so I just suggest to use the "best suiting" one in terms of performance, compatibility, regular updates, also available in different languages (unlike Pandora OS).

performance
They're all pretty much equal in this regard. You can have some improvements by using a lightweight DE (such as xfce/LXDE) and other configurations (systemd is faster than init :p ), but you can have these improvements basically everywhere.

compatibility
Most packages are Debian-packages (.deb), so Debian (and its forks, such as the *buntus) win this.

regular updates
All update somewhat regularly, but the frequency is different. Arch updates ASAP, while Debian updates when things are tested.

also available in different languages
Basically: The bigger the distro is, the more languages it'll have.

On my PC and Laptop I use Fedora (Heisenbug). They also have an ARM branch. I have Debian (Jessie) on my work-PC. Somehow I prefer Fedora, since it seems more active and mature to me (just my very personal impression though), but I think they are very comparable in all aspects. Also when it comes to compatibility: if there's a .deb package, there usually is an .rpm package as well ... if not the other way around.

So I would have voted for Fedora, if there was an option for it in the poll ^_^

("Fedora (great support, frequent updates)")

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually a heavy Fedora user on my work and home computers, not entirely sure why... I've used Debian based distributions and don't mind them.. I've just used Red Hat offerings for years.

One thing I can say is Fedora's ARM version isn't quite at the same level as Debian, it still has a long way to go and I don't see Red Hat putting as much effort into it as their X86 versions.

I'm in love with ArchLinux since the first time I installed it around 3 years ago. That's the reason that led me to vote it... even though I'm afraid it is not a suitable distro for this kind of device (most people don't want to mess with the terminal to fix things that eventually break during upgrades).

That said I don't know why the Arch option states "Not as good support", I have been an ARM Samsung Chromebook running arch for almost a year and everything runs flawlessly. I have not missed anything that is not either in the official repository or in the AUR community repository.

About the systemd bashing, I don't see a problem with it. I have not used it too much (just start/stop/enable/disable services, and I have also created my own services for static network configuration and other chromebook specific stuff), and I like it. It takes a bit to get used to it, but it's way faster, and a lot better self contained and standarized than initscripts. I "suffered" the ArchLinux transition from initscripts to systemd, and it was a bit painful at first, but once you get used to it, it feels like a big improvement over initscripts.

That said I don't know why the Arch option states "Not as good support",
The poll option descriptions are shitty in general (I think I might have already mentioned that) and it was created at a point when it was already clear ED would go with Debian (stable, I guess? People who want newer stuff could easily update to unstable if they want).

Hi,

The differences between debian testing and unstable aren't as clear as suggested in the poll. Both are equally as stable and unstable but in slightly different ways.

Hi,

The differences between debian testing and unstable aren't as clear as suggested in the poll. Both are equally as stable and unstable but in slightly different ways.
That's most likely also the fault of the shitty poll. Based on what the poll says ("good", it's even already judging the options) testing seems best, while actually it isn't. No device should ship with testing (unless it's a version of testing which will soon be stable and we then stick with it, which was suggested).

Hi,

That's most likely also the fault of the shitty poll. Based on what the poll says ("good", it's even already judging the options) testing seems best, while actually it isn't. No device should ship with testing (unless it's a version of testing which will soon be stable and we then stick with it, which was suggested).
That is pretty much the plan, right?  Use Debian Testing since it will become Stable (Jessie) by the end of the year?  

-Glyph Reader

Then why is this poll here?

-Glyph Reader
Everyone can open polls. We have freedom of speech here.So it is here because someone created it.

And I think it's good that it was left open, I value that freedom. Doesn't mean I (or anyone else) care about the results, they are still biased and meaningless.

The only problem is that sometimes it's easy to mistake some arbitrary poll from a bored community member with official polls.

So the plan is to use "Jessie"? not "Testing"? Jessie may be testing just now but it will become stable.

^getting used to something different may take a lot longer than trying it once. 

If i wanted to get a head start on learning my way around the probable Pyra OS. Which distro would you suggest i install on my netbook to practice with?

I have a smidgen of Linux experience mainly ancient Redhat back in the early 2000's and the most recent has been a few tries at Ubuntu the last of which was a year ago.

not having a goal other than to try linux out meant that shortly after install i found i did not boot to linux at all and ended up removing the dual boot i had. but with the Pyra in the future i think i might stick to it a bit longer...so what would you recommend i try?

ok so i have a dual boot setup of debian wheezy with xfce.

just cant use it.

its asking for a password and the password i used to set it up is not being accepted!!!

so far so bad. it took 3 or 4 goes to get this installed. i first made a live version on a USB stick which works fine and doesnt even ask for a password.

i used this to install to the netbook. got a 80GB partition ext4 and a 2.1GB swapit boots to desktop no errors that i can see but wont let me in... lol

i still have the live USB and have used it to look at the install on the HDD but thats as far as my knowledge goes.. took me 15 minutes to remember i could look at a file with vi... ls i remembered and cd so

anyone got any ideas? or do i just reinstall again?

i hope the Pyra install will be easier than this.... no wonder people use ubuntu at least its easy to install..

Back