Where Is The Pandora Being Manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't some wires been crossed over somewhere.

I thought it was chip that said it was made in NA and craigix said it was Asia. Looks like someone has fiddled the quotes.

I don't really care where it's made, as long as i get one and i'll be able to tell if i'm happy with the feel/quality of the thing.

someone should make aftermarket checkerboard plastic shells for it for those of us that want a new case?

**edit** - My Mistake, thanks for clearing it up.

joa said:
haven't some wires been crossed over somewhere.

I thought it was chip that said it was made in NA and craigix said it was Asia. Looks like someone has fiddled the quotes.
If you click on the red arrows in the quote boxes you will see that wires have not been crossed.

Here is where the Craig quote goes to: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry665079

Last edited by a moderator:
mfk said:
Not all parts are being made in same place. That's what I can tell. ;)
It would be brilliant if Craig created a single news thread, stickied, which only he could post in. That would avoid situations like this, surely?

mfk said:
Not all parts are being made in same place. That's what I can tell. ;)
Ah, finally some real info :)
Thanks.

Ravnos said:
quasist said:
cloud858rk said:
They won't tell us do to fear of us raiding the factory. XD
One missle can solve the problem too.

Doubtful. My sources indicate it's being built in a top secret facility under Cheyenne Mountain to protect it from commie attacks.

Oh dang! Does that mean Pandora's yet another off-world oddjob that, once you turn it on, will guide yet another alien strike force of unimaginable strength right into your back garden?

Man, I've so had it with those...

Seen craigix said they explored china based factory's it's quite easy to see where the confusion came from.

I highly doubt most of "standard" electronic parts (like LCD, connectors etc) are made in USA (okay mabye the OMAP3530 - donno where TI has it's fabs), but the actual making & chipping of the pcb and the moulding of the case can be easily done in the USA.

(And you're will be paying the components in USD anyway to Asian suppliers - so even if it would be made in the UK and assuming the biggest part of the cost is the actual material, an "US base price" makes sense.)

And like with any device the real things you want to worry about is the QA of the pcb after the chipping, that needs to be really really good and is where you spend a lot of $$$ and makes the biggest difference between a "brand" and a cheap "knock off" - the latter doesn't mind a high fail rate, it's reflected in the price and typically there is no "userbase" to worry about...

Which I gather is a bit easier to control working with a USA base company...

Let alone the making of the case, making good moulds is an art besides the science...

I tend to prefer to try to avoid threads like this one, but this time I feel somewhat compelled to post. :p

Surely common sense dictates that Chip might simply have been going on information that was known prior to Craig's post, and might not have seen said post at that point...? :p

(Sorry, Chip and Craig - that's not meant to sound like I'm talking behind your backs or something. :lol: There's just no other way I can see to word it.)

If I was MWeston; PCB layout, manufacturing and assembly would be done locally to have control over the first batch. With the ball pitch of the OMAP and the PoP, you really need to know firsthand what the assembly house can do.

So where does MWeston lives? My guess BC Canada sounds right...

Curlyjs

Sorry to add to the confusion. I was basing my assumptions on some manufacturing posts Craig made a while back. I don't have time to find the post atm (posting from my phone), but I'll track it down tonight. The gist of the post was that they had looked into doing all the manufacturing in the US or UK, and that both were too expensive. They had settled on an Asian factory that was known for quality work, and that made handsets for a major cell phone company (motorola or nokia?). I have been away from my computer for the last day and a half and have been checking the board from my phone, which is why I missed the change of plans posted yesterday.

We decided against Asia and want to keep it all where we can keep an eye on things.

The hardware is so cutting edge it needs to be done right, better to spend more now than spend thousands later fixing problems.

Chip said:
Sorry to add to the confusion. I was basing my assumptions on some manufacturing posts Craig made a while back. I don't have time to find the post atm (posting from my phone), but I'll track it down tonight. The gist of the post was that they had looked into doing all the manufacturing in the US or UK, and that both were too expensive. They had settled on an Asian factory that was known for quality work, and that made handsets for a major cell phone company (motorola or nokia?). I have been away from my computer for the last day and a half and have been checking the board from my phone, which is why I missed the change of plans posted yesterday.
I seem to remember something along those lines as well. It is surprising to hear that the manufacturing is primarily in the US regardless of the factors involved. Hopefully this means that the headphone jack wont melt off this time around :D

People still make things in America? :unsure:
Didn't NAFTA/CAFTA/SHAFTA put and end to that? :unsure:

gp2xs said:
People still make things in America? :unsure:
Didn't NAFTA/CAFTA/SHAFTA put and end to that? :unsure:

I thought this too. Go Pandora, bringing the jobs back!

Please lock now
? answered enough to meet my curiosity

Danks

Link

craigix said:
We decided against Asia and want to keep it all where we can keep an eye on things.

The hardware is so cutting edge it needs to be done right, better to spend more now than spend thousands later fixing problems.
What's the current position with manufacturing of the various components, assembly, testing and shipping, with regard to dates? I'm finding it a bit hard to work out whether things are going according to schedule, mostly because the blog posts on openpandora.org are undated. It would be really nice to know more about how things are going.

ngchol said:
craigix said:

What's the current position with manufacturing of the various components, assembly, testing and shipping, with regard to dates? I'm finding it a bit hard to work out whether things are going according to schedule, mostly because the blog posts on openpandora.org are undated. It would be really nice to know more about how things are going.

+1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back