Where Is The Pandora Being Manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cloud858rk said:
They won't tell us do to fear of us raiding the factory. XD
One missle can solve the problem too.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
cloud858rk said:
They won't tell us do to fear of us raiding the factory. XD
One missle can solve the problem too.

Doubtful. My sources indicate it's being built in a top secret facility under Cheyenne Mountain to protect it from commie attacks.

Most knockoffs are made in the same factory as the original, so people usually don't advertise this.

craigix said:
This is real bleeding edge tech for a very low price when compared to similar machines, we have done everything we can to get the price as low as we can - but one thing we won't drop is quality - we won't use chinese factories, cheap parts etc. almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.

Chip said:
The Pandora is being manufactured in Asia from primarily Asian components.

:blink: My brain just got BSOD trying to reconcile these two statements from two of the most trusted people of the community. I know somehow they're both right. Somehow.

Almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.

*LUCIDCHAOS EPIC FAILURE*

funny, made in NA, shipped to UK, then shipped back to me at NA. seems a lot of savings could be had by having someone in NA do software upload/testing for the orders staying in NA.

phrosty said:
funny, made in NA, shipped to UK, then shipped back to me at NA. seems a lot of savings could be had by having someone in NA do software upload/testing for the orders staying in NA.
Time, maybe, not money.
Duplicate workers, or moving workers to US, both options much more expensive than shipping.
I would assume that the product shipped from the US will not be in retail packaging, and would therefore not be very expensive to ship. Two pallet loads, air freight, DFW to LHR, about $750.

lucidchaos said:
craigix said:
This is real bleeding edge tech for a very low price when compared to similar machines, we have done everything we can to get the price as low as we can - but one thing we won't drop is quality - we won't use chinese factories, cheap parts etc. almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.

Chip said:

:blink: My brain just got BSOD trying to reconcile these two statements from two of the most trusted people of the community. I know somehow they're both right. Somehow.

*LUCIDCHAOS EPIC FAILURE*

I too am having a hard time understanding this.

Does North America include, Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico?

Ravnos said:
Doubtful. My sources indicate it's being built in a top secret facility under Cheyenne Mountain to protect it from Combine attacks.
Fixed for relevance :ph34r:

lucidchaos said:
These two sentences contradict each other.
How can it be from primarily Asian components, if almost everything is made in North America?

These two sentences contradict each other.
How can it be from primarily Asian components, if almost everything is made in North America?

It can be made in North America, but the components can be from Asia. For example the, the PCB board can be from China, but the circuit will be done in North America, the holes drilled in Mexico etc.

If craigix says that it's being made in NA, then NA is where it's being made, it's not really the most difficult concept to grasp. Craigix, afaik, is no. 1 in the project, so what he says, goes. If EvilDragon had disagreed with him, then maybe i'd think 'hmmmm' but it's Chip that said it.

Now, I'm not putting Chip down at all, but craigix trumps him (information wise) when it actually comes down to it, in regards to manufacture process, parts, completion date etc of the Pandora.

Just my 2p.

Of course; it's never nice when devs contradict each other, but this is not a multi-million pound company we're dealing with here (but do i hope one day it will be ;) ), and we have to respect that. It's their first, amazing, adventure into the depths of the unknown; which is really exciting, and the fact that we know the top guys by first name basis is awesome.

I hope it all goes well from here on out; yes, there are going to bumps, but the main thing is that as a team of (hopefully) friends we're there to support them through this, I sure will! :D

mali said:
This discussion leads nowhere.
MWeston, the main hardware designer lives in Canada, that is the starting point.
OpenPandora first wanted to manufactor in Korea, the Koreans didn't understand the situation.
They tried it in China, it was the same.

There are manufacturers and distributors. Where you buy is not necessarily where the descrete parts have been produced. Something made in Canada or wherever might still have it's origin in Asia, that's how it works in a globalized world.

Question answerd, now lock :lol:

Edit:
Give Chip the chance to answer. He won't be online the next few hours. It's still night in US.

-knowledge1234 said:
Of course; it's never nice when devs contradict each other,
Chip isn't a dev, he's a GP32X moderator with seemingly encyclopedic knowledge about the Pandora, and he is usually right. Not in this case, it seems.

Although I could have sworn that I read Craig saying some time earlier that they were planning to make it mostly in Asia after initially intending to do it in the UK. Perhaps there's been a change of plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back