Where Are The Tv Out Cables ?

Last I heard from ED was that they aren't ordering them until the first batch is done shipping.

This is from the other forum, in this thread;

EvilDragon said:
dreamer said:
So, are the cables still expected to arrive in october?
We will TAKE CARE about them in October, might take until November for them to arrive.
Lead times are not that high though, as far as I'm aware.

This was posted on September 22nd, and is the most recent word I'm aware of. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
TitanUranus said:
What's the reason for delaying ordering them?

Because the company wants OP to take no less then 10.000 cables from them.
Otherwise this company don´t bothers producing them.
Because we don´t know if there really will be 8.000 Pandoras out in customers hands and if each customer wants to buy a TV-out cable the
team decided to wait with that until more Pandoras have been delivered to customers and so knowing the real demmand of those cables.

Bampt said:
TitanUranus said:
What's the reason for delaying ordering them?

Because the company wants OP to take no less then 10.000 cables from them.
Otherwise this company don´t bothers producing them.
Because we don´t know if there really will be 8.000 Pandoras out in customers hands and if each customer wants to buy a TV-out cable the
team decided to wait with that until more Pandoras have been delivered to customers and so knowing the real demmand of those cables.

Say they only make 2 batches, are they not going to bother making any cables? If so I feel a bit aggrieved, at least with the pandora I know it's promised to me. If the cables won't be produced then they are taking my money as a loan rather than a pre-payment. I'm not a banker (except in rhyming slang) and I don't have the capital to be making speculative loans.

do we have any other options on companies who would produce the cables in 4K or 5K increments? If there are already options, how would that affect the end price as well as OPs price (as I'm sure that the lower the bulk production rate, the higher the cost per component)? OP would essentially need to be well into the 3rd, possibly 4th batch (or official mass production) to truly and unanimously justify a 10K part order. Do we even have any other options on the table (or around the world)? My personal desire would be to promote current and future pandora owners (who may have the connections or training/knowledge to do so) to contact companies local to them, give a brief run-down of what OP would need and have them contact OP for official details/further possible inquiries... but that could lead to an unnecessary and counter-productive influx of B2B contact attempts... but I'm not sure one way or the other (hence why I actually explained what I thought may not be the best idea... but could be better fleshed out to help OP reach a feasable option for the end goal)...

Just my 2 cents... hope it makes change :D

i also think this whole 10k batch is a bad idea, unless we transfer svideo into pandora 2, even if its 5 years ahead from now, which would be a really bad idea as im hoping we could at least use hdmi by then

Asmo said:
The 10k minimum thing was contradicted some time ago:

craigix said:
They will make any number (well, within reason, like 1000+). The problem is the parts come from Chilie (sic) and an earthquake wrecked the supply line.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...south-america/page__view__findpost__p__863370

That was 4 months ago, I'd imagine the amount of copper wire needed could have been found since.

They should contact the bastards that nicked my boiler and stripped out my copper piping if they need a source of copper. Also, I'd be much obliged if they could forward the names and addresses of the scumbags.

DaMummy said:
i also think this whole 10k batch is a bad idea, unless we transfer svideo into pandora 2, even if its 5 years ahead from now, which would be a really bad idea as im hoping we could at least use hdmi by then
HDMI is popular, but it's a bit costly to build into these devices. Not only are there licensing costs (although not very high), but you'll need a TMDS driver chip. I would at least consider DisplayPort, which has available adaptors to current formats including VGA. But it's probably more dependent on what the SoC chosen can do.

We're unlikely to ever see HDMI because of licensing costs, but I can see DVI-D showing up. Keep in mind that we've really only got TV out because it is supported by the SoC: it's a free feature. If it weren't available directly, if extra components had been required, I'm not certain MWeston would have been able to do it.
Adding DVI-D similarly would require additional components. Our best bet is to hope that a future revision of the OMAP or similar ARM SoC contains a DVI-D compatible output.
Technically the SoC in the Pandora does have two digital video outputs, one of which could have been converted to DVI with only a small footprint, but my understanding is that that would have taken away from the number of GPIO lines that MWeston needed to make everything else work. I'm betting that if a future OMAP keeps the same video out lines but adds a dozen extra GPIO lines, MWeston could figure something out that would satisfy all requirements. He's a clever guy.
First they need to make back their money on the current version though.

Back