Where Did You Hear About Pandora?

A few months before preorder started, in an IRC chat room. I was in to DS homebrew for a while and thought it was alright, but the touch screen keyboards for most programs sucked (Especially Nintendo's... I could never reliably type on that crap.) and the CPU was disgustingly underpowered for most anything useful. So I pretty much said:

Code:
<paulguy> I wish there was a handheld that was kinda like a DS but with a faster CPU, 1 larger screen and keyboard along with game controls.
<somebody else> http://the link to that original concept page with the render and specs.  I think the background was in the yellow/orange/tan range, I can recall.

Then I ordered about 44 minutes in, at number 450-550 from gbax (craigix's shop).

i stumbled accross the gp2x as a young lad when i was searching google for gba flashcarts. Couldnt afford one and didnt find any info other than the gp2x website. A few years later i remembered about it, googled for it and ended up on the forums reading about the craiginator.

amigaworld.net - same place I found out about gp2x.

I haven't awned an Amiga in like 12 years now!

Firewolf said:
Early 2008 on slashdot; someone linked to it in one of the comments on a random article regarding Gamepark.

Likewise on slashdot here, I followed it for a while.. then got interested in it again in early 2009 when I saw a link on bluesnews showing the prototype actually doing something. It's been all downhill since.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/CortexA8-gaming-handheld-runs-Linux/

Ollonk said:
http://DCemu.co.uk

(Edit: I have been following the project for over 2 years, preordered in February 2010.)
Same site, I was looking for some cool stuff for my GBA SP and stumbled across a video of an early Pandora prototype working with a keypad. I then went on to forget it, until a friend of mine asked if I knew of any devices that would fulfill his needs, and I thought of the Pandora. In the end, I bought one once they decided to make the first batch 4000 instead of 3000.

Nuron_V said:
Here, GP2X First Edition Owner
^ Same. I lurked the Our New Machine thread quite heavily. I liked the direction it was taking so I never felt like I needed to comment. I super busy at the time too, so I couldn't be bothered getting all involved in that business. Still, I feel like the team and I shared some sort of psychic link, because the Pandora turned out exactly as I imagined it would. :)

I bought a GP2X years ago, and enjoyed it thoroughly until I "fixed" the joystick with superglue.
Then a few years later I thought "I wonder what the GP2X community is up to these days?"
And then I found out all the awesome people from that scene had got together to build an awesome new handheld. :)

Bought a gp2x in summer 2008, heard about the Pandora shortly after. Joined the forums a few months later, and I've been here ever since.

i was into the pirate/homebrew thing in every nintendo console and handheld, then head about the gp2x and 32 but saw no reason to replace my homebrew/pirate psp with those as they couldnt do much more then psp, all until i head about the pandora at a late stage in planning over at gbatemp, ordered one at first glance, same day i found out about it

Was searching to buy a GP32 (or the successor) ended on this forum.
That was pretty fun to watch, I decided to keep lurking for a while…

I purchased a GP2X F200 back when they first came out. Eventually, I noticed this area of the forum pop up.

I was fibbing before.

It came to me in a dream. Some guy was speaking backwards and said 'Open Pandora'.

He then proceeded to fall off a roof, gash his leg and and scream 'Two Months! Two Months!' The ambulance took two days to arrive at which point the paramedics slapped him and shouted 'If it hurts, we can sort that out for you. What's your patient number?'. A chinese man chased away the paramedics but suddenly caught on fire... there was smoke eveywhere and I couldn't see a single thing. I kept shouting 'Not the vapour! Make the vapour go away!'.

The hurt man was twitching on the ground sceaming. For some reason he had my wallet, and gave it back to me. He said my most important mission was to give it back to him. I said 'Why did you give it back to me then?' But he started spluttering... and coughing up noodles. His last wish was that I write a letter to all 4000 members of his family containing the words... what words? I took out my notebook and pen, ready to dicate his final message to the world.

In his dying breath he spoke one word: "Hellollo".

I never did get what that dream was all about, but it led me here.

Got interested in the PSP homebrew scene and somehow found out about the GP32 and through that I found the Pandora which seemed to add everything I wished my PSP had; keyboard, touch screen, more storage capacity for less money, and two (properly functioning) nubs. This was like a week or two before preorders opened and I just jumped right in from there.

Bizarrely enough, I was searching for an iPod alternative at the time. Typed into Google a mixture of things that I wanted (touchscreen, plays MP3s/videos, wireless net access, games etc). Was pleasantly surprised to find a rather innocent looking page that hosted news about Pandora, and even more surprised to see what it could do.

I came close to buying a GP32 many years ago but couldn’t afford it, despite mulling it over for months. So I’m damned happy to find its ‘spiritual successor’ that pretty much crams in everything I want from a handheld.

Although I find it wonderfully ironic that I only found this open device of wonders because I was looking for at one of the most closed yet popular portable devices on the market in the last few years…...

Back