When The Pandora Cums

DaMummy said:
so how hard would it have been to take away the silkscreen and include all the letters and/or symbols as part of the case molds?
In some places this would actually be pretty hard and add substantial cost. This lettering would be perpendicular to the mold pull meaning there would need to be articulating sliding mold parts to move in and out. This adds ALLOT of cost to molds, and due to the complexity, would mean a pretty big delay. We don't think you want to wait 3 months for lettering?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm okay with no silkscreen. I it were somehow magically up to me, I'd want to have it even though I personally won't need it. It would just be one less point for complaining. But really, I have no problem with this development. The hardware is working according to plan after all. Software can be sorted out later. From where I'm standing the whole device looks ready. It just needs to be put together and shipped to me. :p

I'm happy to take my Pandora however I can get it, and I understand (and agree with) the reasonings behind the decision not to risk attempting silkscreening, and the disappointment I feel at the loss of the silkscreening will be overcome very soon after unwrapping my new baby and booting into a sweet lil linux distro, but whether it looks cooler or not without it we're just going to have to deal with the fact that the price of being an early adopter of this new handheld is to receive an unfinished machine.

A bit of a shame, that's all.

Order number?

No Problem if whe dont have Silkscreen: I think in the last 1 Yeahr, everbody have learned a lot over the unit, so everbody know which led is which funktion and which port has which funktion, nobody would put the ac/dc (a wanna hiway to hell!!) adapter in to the usb or the tv out port..

But what is whit the mate Finish?, On the DSi this looks gread and i would like it on the Pandora (because i have only a dslite..) :rolleyes:

Mjlink said:
Go cry in your corner with your Optimus Prime, take a few LEDs with you and a sharpie so you can figure out which is which.
heeey now, no need to take it out on optimus. me and my army of 10 optimuses will take you on any time *gnashes teeth*

Really, even if some people are going to complain, I doubt many would cancel over a silkscreen. If they do, let them cancel! There will be more people to replace them! I'm glad they ditched the silkscreen, I didn't care much either way, I just want at Pandora, and ED's just increasing my gadget lust with all his videos.

I've got faith this thing is coming soon (next couple of months) for real this time. The only thing that worries me now is that this device can't possibly be as cool as we've all built it up to be, can it? Well I'll do all I can to make it the best device of its kind, hopefully there are a lot of other developers that are waiting for Pandoras like me.

RenegadeChic said:
Mjlink said:
Go cry in your corner with your Optimus Prime, take a few LEDs with you and a sharpie so you can figure out which is which.
heeey now, no need to take it out on optimus. me and my army of 10 optimuses will take you on any time *gnashes teeth*
Relax grl, ungnash them sweet choppers and inhale. Thats it. Tell those 10 Optimi to take these energon cubes and leave us alone.

Sounds a lot better than me getting my ass kicked by a bunch of robots and a renegade chic.

Good thing I'm changing IP addresses shortly,

Peace & BLACKberry Kush,

Link

Line O said:
I'm happy to take my Pandora however I can get it, and I understand (and agree with) the reasonings behind the decision not to risk attempting silkscreening, and the disappointment I feel at the loss of the silkscreening will be overcome very soon after unwrapping my new baby and booting into a sweet lil linux distro, but whether it looks cooler or not without it we're just going to have to deal with the fact that the price of being an early adopter of this new handheld is to receive an unfinished machine.

A bit of a shame, that's all.

That's a reasonable reason to be worried about the silkscreen ( polished look.) But I don't really need / want my pandora to look that stylish, if I did I'd have blown $600 on an n900. I like the Pandora for the geekiness and for the community.

People worried about usability, though... this is what I type on:
IMG_1122.JPG

It did not take me long to figure out where 104 identical-looking keys were, I think I'll be okay with some LED's and a couple of SD slots. And all-black is just so much more CORE!
(@keyboard-geeks, it's a Unicomp)

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 110
Why not make a stickers sheet? Wouldn't affect the Pandora manufacturing process and you could send it out later to those who request it.

Charge £1 if you must.

WizardStan said:
I can't say I'm not at least somewhat disappointed. It's not even about whether it's necessary or not, it just had this "feeling" of being more complete with the silkscreening. I look at my DS: power, headphones, volume, are marked (not the LEDs though). My camera is fully labeled. My RC truck is mostly labeled. My speakers and wireless headphones are labeled. I look around, everything seems to have at least some form of silk screening, whether they need it or not. I realize we don't need the power switch to be marked, but it feels odd when I think about it compared to all the other electronics I have that do have it marked.

The other day, we went to one of those fast-food burger joints that seem so universally unpopular yet pop up, making money, every half a mile (or so it seems). My kid got a free toy with his meal. It has only one visible switch - and you know what? It's labelled. It's not even just labelled with cheap silkscreen that will wear off - oh no. For this "free" toy (which you CAN buy for £1 if you dislike their food as much as you should) they have the labelling actually in the mold itself, so it doesn't wear away easily. It's built to LAST, apparently. I can't remember the last thing we got that was so cheaply built that the manufacturer didn't label the case, at least partially.

I'm frankly torn between ragging on OP endlessly about what a mess this whole thing has been, and praising them for waking up to how badly they've been doing it and actually making changes to effect some chance of actually delivering the kit. At least we can stop worrying that they're intent on an unachievable "perfection" that can never be met - one ghost that has dogged this project which can finally be put to rest.

intense_mc said:
Why not make a stickers sheet? Wouldn't affect the Pandora manufacturing process and you could send it out later to those who request it.

Charge £1 if you must.

Probably because if there's one thing that looks cheaper than silkscreen, it's no silkscreen - but if there's anythign that looks cheaper than no silkscreen it's stickers :(

I suppose some kind of "apply damp" transfer/sticker MIGHT look OK, but then you risk dripping water into the thing. Which would not be good.

Monk said:
I'm frankly torn between ragging on OP endlessly about what a mess this whole thing has been, and praising them for waking up to how badly they've been doing it and actually making changes to effect some chance of actually delivering the kit. At least we can stop worrying that they're intent on an unachievable "perfection" that can never be met - one ghost that has dogged this project which can finally be put to rest.
As far as I'm concerned, the "perfection" thing went out the window when they took the Chinese guy's word that the cases look like shit just because of the demo production (especially since Rev2 looked better.) Let's take bets on how many pandoras are gonna have holes thru the back where the hinges are supposed to be ;)

rabidpoobear said:
Monk said:
As far as I'm concerned, the "perfection" thing went out the window when they took the Chinese guy's word that the cases look like shit just because of the demo production (especially since Rev2 looked better.) Let's take bets on how many pandoras are gonna have holes thru the back where the hinges are supposed to be ;)

I can be positive here! Yay (and thanks for that).

While I seee what you're saying, I sortof disagree on the basis that if MP cases come trhough looking anything remotely like those samples, I expect MWeston to man-up and slap the Chinese Factory manager silly. At the very least Faith and his interpreter pal will run for the Pakistani hills so that they can learn how to hide from OpenPandoraian wrath.

I've skimmed the first few pages, and a couple of the last few posts.
It seems that people who want silkscreening are labelled as a lot of crazies.

I may not care eitherway, but as a device that's supposed to be a professional piece of kit regardless of how small the company making it is, you can't say that it doesn't take that away from it.

You can't seriously believe that sending it to be reviewed, they will think it was a design decision, which it wasn't, it's a half finished bit of kit. They've seen the renders, the case with silkscreening, and now it's very late and not finished.

Now for an underground bit of kit, well that's a whole different matter. It's like a de-badged car :lol:
Very nice ;)

I don't think I will miss silkscreening. As far as I was concerned it was a relatively new addition, as most of the renders I had seen didn't have it applied (Heck, even the render on the main page of openpandora.org only has minimal silkscreening)I had assumed that it was always going to arrive blank.

That said, it would have been swish to have a first batch notice on there, although I presume there will be some kind of serial number pointing this out somewhere less obvious? I'm all for having mine autographed by the team, under the battery.

Monk said:
rabidpoobear said:
Monk said:

I can be positive here! Yay (and thanks).

While I seee what you're saying, I sortof disagree on the basis that if MP cases come trhough looking anything remotely like those samples, I expect MWeston to man-up and slap the Chinese Factory manager silly. At the very least Faith and his interpreter pal will run for the Pakistani jills so that they can learn how to hide from OpenPandoraian wrath.
True.
Also I'm like 90% sure his name is Fatih not Faith. But everyone's been typing Faith so I'm not sure if I read it wrong initially or if all you guys are wrong... :p

rabidpoobear said:
Also I'm like 90% sure his name is Fatih not Faith. But everyone's been typing Faith so I'm not sure if I read it wrong initially or if all you guys are wrong... :p
You are 100% right :)

Back