When is the Pandora 2 release?

Two RGB leds instead of the 6 leds (+ space for 2 more) we have now, sounds like a very good plan! Of course you should be able to customize the colors and which "messages" are displayed. Something like a "portable ubi".

Also, stereo speakers are not strictly necessary for me - I doubt you can really get any noticeable separation anyway on such a small device, and as Franko said, you'll use headphones anyway when you want good sound. And perhaps it would even be nice to have the speakers on the sides, of course in a spot that doesn't get covered by your hands. That way you can have sound output with the lid closed.

^ Yes!  That's what I proposed early on as a compromise for the largest screen possible.  Put the speakers on the left and right side of the main case.  Design the PCB with a bit of a quarter inch circular cutout on the sides, taking into account the needed room for the speakers if that's even needed. No idea on that one, but maybe the speakers would be small and flat enough to not take anything away from the PCB.  You have to think about the design though....(drools)...uhhhh I doo.

Okay, who, with a show of hands votes with their hands?  Oh I see some people...

I'm just kidding, I like what Grench and _wb_ are talking about.

I like the fact that there is no release date. It adds a touch of mystery to it.

yikes scoob!!

How about 1 RGB LED on each side?  With 256 color potential, flashing, bright/dim and color changing sequences there are thousands and thousands of permutations of what each could 'say'.

URGH! Just because you can do that doesn't make it a good idea....

It makes a certain amount of sense do do this for related functions,  but as someone who's had to offer remote support for ADSL modems,  some of which use a single multicolour LED  and some with discrete indicators for different functions I can tell you that the single indicator models  were *much* harder to troubleshoot remotely...   Peoples perception of different colours is no-where near as uniform as one might think, and that's before you even consider the issue of colour blindness.

I'll take multiple indicators over one or two multiplexed RGB indicators any day.

- Neelix

I hope no one ever asks me what state a tri-color LED is in, I have color blindness and I'm terrible with LEDs in particular :/ Bright reds vs bright greens can be hard for me.

I hope no one ever asks me what state a tri-color LED is in, I have color blindness and I'm terrible with LEDs in particular :/ Bright reds vs bright greens can be hard for me.
Hmm...  Good point.  In my exuberance for the idea I had forgotten the prevalence of color blindness.  An alternative would be to have the color hues tied to pulsation - but that would get annoying quickly.  Hmm...

You would know better than I would - what colors are the easiest to differentiate between for someone with color blindness?  Are there at least 3 light frequencies that would work for the idea other than red/green?  An RGB LED should give us a pallet of 256 to choose from.

^ I'd suggest to keep it simple and related to the primary colors... Like Red, Green, Blue and White I guess.  Any shades of those tends to get confusing (IMO).

Edit1:  Also, I'd avoid trying to relate any sort of message/meaning by "pulses"...I'm horrible at Morse Code.   :p

Edit2:  I like the idea of 256 possible color combinations as far as a programmable lighting display.  Would make for a very Pandorific Christmas in the winter, but I'm just not convinced of the usability of blended color combinations as related to status LEDs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back