When is the Pandora 2 release?

Perusa

Question is above.

i mean which year.

Because i save my money. I think i now have 120€ or something.

And it will take years to buy a Pandora, so i tought i just saving the money for the P2. :)

Like Sony said, 2014 was thrown around as a possible date.. but really, no one knows for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually hoping for 2015 launch, because there's way too many awesome technology (PS4, ONE, Shield, ASUS products, Samsung products, SONY TVs, Sharp TVs and the list goes on) coming out this year and next year, which means I'll be broke as fudge.

2014 seems too early to me - ED's gotta pay back the investors

Question is above.

i mean which year.

Because i save my money. I think i now have 120€ or something.

And it will take years to buy a Pandora, so i tought i just saving the money for the P2. :)
I'd assume it's at least 2 years out if ever.

Note the last part - a P2 is far from a 'shoe in' or 'done deal'.  It's still in the 'pipe dream' realm.

So, if you want a Pandora but can not afford the new price, you might consider purchasing a used one or one of the highly discounted refurbished units.

There won't be any Pandora 2… maybe a handheld done with the same philosophy, but there are absolutely no date.

ED said that he might eventually think about making a pandora successor… when he will have recouped his losses from the Pandora.

Have we reached the end of the road in terms of hardware upgrades to the existing Pandora?

I'm pretty sure that the SOC can't be upgraded but could the screen / wifi / nand size etc. get a 'refresh?' this may help with sales and therefore speed up the coming of Dragonfly or whatever the spiritual successor of Pandora will be called?

None of those things would be possible as drop-in replacements like the SoC and RAM upgrades were.

NAND or RAM: It's part of the package on top of the SoC, you get what Micron offers and AFAIK the 512/512MB option is the best there is.

Wifi: There's no upgrade that is pin compatible, would need a new board.

LCD: Would need to have the same LCD connector pinout and form factor, which is a problem because those aren't really standardized between products. And the parallel style is losing favor. You'd also be limited to whatever the SoC can support.

If you're doing a new PCB you'd may as well do a new design, even if it's a conservative one.

AFAIK :

The flash, RAM and CPU are on the same package (it's a package on package design), no way to easily improve any of those.

A new wifi chip would need a redesign of the mainboard.

LCD need to be pin to pin compatible to be swappable.

EDIT : Exo was faster :p

AFAIK :

The flash, RAM and CPU are on the same package (it's a package on package design), no way to easily improve any of those.

A new wifi chip would need a redesign of the mainboard.

LCD need to be pin to pin compatible to be swappable.

EDIT : Exo was faster :p
I love how similar our posts are :D

Back